Notre Dame Paris is burning

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Notre Dame Paris is burning

Unread post by TUPF »

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Last edited by TUPF on Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: Notre Dame is burning - Paris

Unread post by gerryb323 »

That one IS urban!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

I watched Notre Dame’s spire collapse live. Not quite as shocking as seeing the World Trade Center first tower collapse, but jarring nonetheless.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Ray »

WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

I watched the WTC fall from outside my apartment building less than a mile away, and, for me, personally, this is several times more shocking and at least as gut wrenching, maybe more. I can’t even put words to how I feel right now.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Re: Notre Dame Paris is burning

Unread post by Yankeewave »

I read that the spire is a relatively new replacement. I have a friend who just went and she said they had out all kinds of relics for Holy Week. Hoping they grabbed those or that they keep them in fire proof boxes.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

All the speculation is that it's a fire due to renovations. Will be interesting to see if that ends up being the case. You'd have to hope it was negligence and not a willful act from some disaffected party.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:All the speculation is that it's a fire due to renovations. Will be interesting to see if that ends up being the case. You'd have to hope it was negligence and not a willful act from some disaffected party.
the Cathedral in Chicago almost burned down ten years ago - were doing work on it and fire started in the roof.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Yankeewave wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:All the speculation is that it's a fire due to renovations. Will be interesting to see if that ends up being the case. You'd have to hope it was negligence and not a willful act from some disaffected party.
the Cathedral in Chicago almost burned down ten years ago - were doing work on it and fire started in the roof.
Come to think of it, that’s how the Cabildo burned too.
Victory is never permanent
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Yankeewave wrote:I read that the spire is a relatively new replacement. I have a friend who just went and she said they had out all kinds of relics for Holy Week. Hoping they grabbed those or that they keep them in fire proof boxes.
My understanding from a colleague who visited fairly recently (and asked geeky engineering questions) is the first responders are tasked with clearing the people and then saving art, not the building. More of the building than you'd suspect is newer than most know, due to renovations and rebuilding over time. He indeed said the spire was, I believe, 19th century.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

The spire was mid 19th century. It’s one of the most interesting aspects of the cathedral that it has in neo Gothic spire amidst a Gothic cathedral. In terms of specific pieces being old, Pete is correct. But in some ways that’s more the tragedy. The central support structure, as well as the roof, and buttresses, we’re all changed, added on, Altered at different points across the centuries, Causing a layering effect that could never be replicated. It’s one of the reasons I always taught that Cathedral Because you could see the contrast in styles Side-by-side in the same structure
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

The US Navy had to decommission a $1B submarine because a shipyard worker purposefully started a fire in her while performing overhaul work in drydock. Let’s hope this is nothing like that.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

TUPF wrote:The US Navy had to decommission a $1B submarine because a shipyard worker purposefully started a fire in her while performing overhaul work in drydock. Let’s hope this is nothing like that.
I hope that person is rotting in jail
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Yankeewave wrote:
TUPF wrote:The US Navy had to decommission a $1B submarine because a shipyard worker purposefully started a fire in her while performing overhaul work in drydock. Let’s hope this is nothing like that.
I hope that person is rotting in jail
17 years federal prison.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... submarine/

I am sure in the coming weeks there will be ample investigation because this is such a high profile event but just this morning I read a New Yorker article where the writer had visited the Notre Dame restoration project underway in March. She talked about blowtorches used to remove statues from pedestals, etc.

Having been in one nuclear submarine overhaul and one new construction period, I will say that any worksite where there are volatile chemicals used for industrial work, flame, rags, an unusual environment with scaffolds, workers coming and going, pressures to perform, etc., is a recipe for accidents. Just from my point of view the one area where Notre Dame, or any restoration site for that matter, absolutely failed is fire safety. Shipyards have their own fire department for that reason and any time a flame source is used there is a fire watch with extinguishers ten feet away. It’s usually boring until it’s not.

You could tell from the video that the Notre Dame firefighters were playing catch up. Once the cameras showed the extent of the fire and only a handful of firefighters (the visible ones, at least) on the roof you knew it was over. If I am doing a postmortem I would want to know why ten alarms’ worth of equipment including extensions to reach the roof were not within five minutes of the edifice.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

There's no way to fully explain the historical and cultural significance of this building. Parts have been added and renovated over the years, but it's the heart of France, both modern and medieval. It'll be rebuilt, and some of the oldest parts survived, but it'll never be the same. Something is lost from the world that will never be fully returned.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

GretnaGrn wrote:There's no way to fully explain the historical and cultural significance of this building. Parts have been added and renovated over the years, but it's the heart of France, both modern and medieval. It'll be rebuilt, and some of the oldest parts survived, but it'll never be the same. Something is lost from the world that will never be fully returned.

This. It's why I've found both the "we'll rebuild" and the "it wasn't really all that old" arguments so disheartening the last 24 hours. I realize its human nature to want to make the best of a bad situation, but that's on the micro level. On the macro level, it's driven by an attempt to make future tourist dollars by minimizing the imagination of what's been lost. What's been lost is almost unimaginable, incalculable.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Tulane Preservation Studies Prof weighs in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htPy9ofevSc
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

This is a real headline:
Tourist mecca Notre Dame also revered as place of worship
https://apnews.com/f309ea14c9b346acb1d3b72c2564c56b
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

OGSB wrote:This is a real headline:
We avoid politics here for good reason. I would simply note that it's some folks who don't go to church there that are complaining about the one-percenters offering to pay for its restoration. The folks who pray there are meanwhile thankful to any and all for trying to cure our heartbreak over this.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Baywave1 wrote:
We avoid politics here for good reason. I would simply note that it's some folks who don't go to church there that are complaining about the one-percenters offering to pay for its restoration. The folks who pray there are meanwhile thankful to any and all for trying to cure our heartbreak over this.
I didn't read the article, just amazed by the headline. Sort of like "LSU also a place for learning".

Nah, too out there that one
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Baywave1 wrote:
As one who was not blessed with the gift of spiritual certainty I applaud any support for restoration. It’s both a national symbol and a beacon of faith and either are reason enough to proceed. I would feel the same if was Hagia Sophia in Istanbul, St. Peter’s, or St. Patrick’s. As for the complainers, the one percenters are free to spend how they want. At least it’s not another megayacht with a helicopter topside.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

My coworker spent 30 seconds on Google and discovered easily the massive homelessness and poverty situation in Paris and decried that $300 million had been immediately donated to restore a building while that is going on.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote:I watched the WTC fall from outside my apartment building less than a mile away, and, for me, personally, this is several times more shocking and at least as gut wrenching, maybe more. I can’t even put words to how I feel right now.
I've waited many moons to post the following: [the rest of this post has been redacted]
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

windywave wrote:I've waited many moons to post the following: [the rest of this post has been redacted]
Welcome back! Now behave. :lol: