shopping list for coach Hunter

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

shopping list for coach Hunter

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

top ranked transfers in the portal right now... separated into "play now" and "sit a year"

Daniels is ranked #14 in the "sit a year" group.. Crabtree in the "honorable mention" list below.. putting him in the 60-70 range

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... 20-2020-21
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Re: shopping list for coach Hunter

Unread post by angrywavedad »

Thanks for the reality check.
Shu40
Breaker Level

Unread post by Shu40 »

somewhat realistic wish list maybe?

my criteria was: not be so highly regarded that we don't have a chance, decent academic school, should qualify here, experience proven, mix of guys over the years to allow the program to bring in some older years and space out the classes more naturally.

available now:
21. Akwasi Yeboah, 6-6, 235 pounds, SF, RS Jr., Stony Brook, "academic kid" on a message board, 16/8 last year. addition of a veteran who can rebound
35. Matt Milon, 6-5, 195 pounds, SG, RS Jr., William & Mary - shooter, good school, sell tulane ed
38. Jeantal Cylla, 6-7, 215 pounds, SF, RS Jr., UNC Wilmington - athletic, apparently visiting arkansas

sit out a years:
15. Takal Molson, 6-5, 205 pounds, SG, Soph., Canisius - replace caleb with the guy on the list below him? :)
40. Marcus Shaver, 6-2, 185 pounds, G, Soph., Portland
49. Deaundrae Ballard, 6-5, 197 pounds, SG, Soph., Florida
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Johnny Mac wrote:top ranked transfers in the portal right now... separated into "play now" and "sit a year"

Daniels is ranked #14 in the "sit a year" group.. Crabtree in the "honorable mention" list below.. putting him in the 60-70 range

Hopefully Coach Hunter can convince Daniels to stay and for. A couple rising stars to join him.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

waverider wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:top ranked transfers in the portal right now... separated into "play now" and "sit a year"

Hopefully Coach Hunter can convince Daniels to stay and for. A couple rising stars to join him.
what worries me is Daniels being able to put in for a waiver since his coach was fired.. yes, he's listed now as a 'sit a year' guy, but that can change... same for Crabtree.. being ranked the 14th best transfer portal player is going to have a lot of good programs calling him up
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

You have to assume that Daniels, Crabtree and Wood are gone. You don't put yourself out there like that without one and half feet out the door.

At this point the question is who's coming to take their place.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

angrywavedad wrote:You have to assume that Daniels, Crabtree and Wood are gone. You don't put yourself out there like that without one and half feet out the door.

At this point the question is who's coming to take their place.
Agree. I wrote previously that a 4-win season means no one is sacrosanct. If anyone is back from last year it will because we need the practice bodies.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Can basketball recruits enter school during summer school like the freshmen football recruits?? Be a good idea to get the 'new' players together as soon as possible.
ThePig
Riptide Level

Unread post by ThePig »

What do you all think that we are looking at for PF and C coming in addition to Days? Is there any chance that Sehic will be back? Without him and with Paul gone, we are at least one short at these positions even if you don't consider us to have been undermanned at these positions last year.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Consider Daniels gone.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

PeteRasche wrote:Consider Daniels gone.
I heard the same from a St Aug alum that may have some inside info.
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

I heard the exact opposite.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

randymc wrote:I heard the exact opposite.
If you did then Hunter has done an amazing sales pitch since the day Daniels announced he was entering the portal.
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

PeteRasche wrote:
If you did then Hunter has done an amazing sales pitch since the day Daniels announced he was entering the portal.
Have seen players say they are going pro and then decide to return to school but I can't think of any who publicly said they were going to explore transferring and then didn't transfer (especially a desirable player like Daniels).
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

angrywavedad wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Have seen players say they are going pro and then decide to return to school but I can't think of any who publicly said they were going to explore transferring and then didn't transfer (especially a desirable player like Daniels).
Well this whole transfer portal thing is pretty new. Basically legalizing tampering.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

angrywavedad wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
It's happened for football in the transfer portal although now I can't remember the school/player involved. Maybe a PSU player? Anyway it isn't common.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

I read the other day that a few kids that put their names in the portal after their coach was fired decided to stay put. It may have been an Alabama kid or two.

I've said these before, but putting your name in the portal is like saying "Let me find a prettier girl to take to the prom knowing that if it doesn't work out my original date will take me back."

Daniels is a good player who would help us going forward, but we need kids that are going to buy in to Hunter and want to be here. I'm banking on Hunter developing a team that is better than the sum of the parts. His defensive philosophy will allow us to mask some glaring athletic deficiencies that killed us under Dunleavy. I think a guy like Zhang could flourish under Hunter. His lack of quickness won't be exploited on defense. By default, he may have to be the leading scorer next year and he showed he is capable of putting up big offensive numbers if he keeps it together mentally.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

I sure would like to know why Sehic, Wood, Daniels, etc are looking to leave. Was it the absolutely dismal year we just had and they just feel like they need to go elsewhere to show what they can do/develop. Is it tied directly to Dunleavy and the belief that they were here only because they thought that Dunleavy could develop NBA type skills and his contacts would help them land a professional career?
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

GreenieBacker wrote:I sure would like to know why Sehic, Wood, Daniels, etc are looking to leave. Was it the absolutely dismal year we just had and they just feel like they need to go elsewhere to show what they can do/develop. Is it tied directly to Dunleavy and the belief that they were here only because they thought that Dunleavy could develop NBA type skills and his contacts would help them land a professional career?

That's certainly not the case for Daniels. He had been injured and had no real suitors. We signed him very late after MD saw him at a camp I believe.
We deserve so much better
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
angrywavedad wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
It's happened for football in the transfer portal although now I can't remember the school/player involved. Maybe a PSU player? Anyway it isn't common.

It happened to us in baseball. Chase Solesky announced he was going to leave after year one of the Jewett regime and decided to come back.

Daniels is not coming back. Phone ringing off the hook.
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Given the horrific season, I'm sure transferring was on every underclassmen's mind. I think it's at least 50/50 that each of these guys was gone with or without Dunleavy being fired - his departure just gives them a good rationale and a better chance to get a waiver.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Once you root for someone, you have an affection that's hard to dissipate. Until they decide to leave and you're staying as a fan. I wish them well but positive sentiment for them has ended. I'll keep it for the guys who remain.

This team had the worst record at Tulane in 55 years. There was a reason for that and talent matters just like coaching. The latter has been fixed. Hunter and staff are addressing the former. The transfer portal has an in-door too. I look forward to next season's roster of players who want to play for Tulane and Hunter.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Baywave1 wrote:Once you root for someone, you have an affection that's hard to dissipate. Until they decide to leave and you're staying as a fan. I wish them well but positive sentiment for them has ended. I'll keep it for the guys who remain.

This team had the worst record at Tulane in 55 years. There was a reason for that and talent matters just like coaching. The latter has been fixed. Hunter and staff are addressing the former. The transfer portal has an in-door too. I look forward to next season's roster of players who want to play for Tulane and Hunter.
Agreed. That's what I said all season that it was lack of talent and coaching. Caught a lot of flack for that. Glad others are seeing the light.
We deserve so much better
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

6-5 G Teshaun Hightower, who just finished his soph year at Georgia Bulldogs, is a transfer in that portal we're talking about. He will visit Tulane the weekend after Easter weekend. He attended Mt. Zion Prep in Maryland; and is a Lithonia, Ga., hometown product. He started 17 games for Georgia last season. First tweeted by Shun Williams of ontheradarhoops and recruiting analyst Corey Evans. He was signed at Georgia by the former coach, Mark Fox.
As a senior at Mount Zion Prep, Hightower averaged 19.6 points, 6.2 rebounds and 7.0 assists per game as the team had 25-10 record. He was a 3-star recruit at that time.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Some of the transfers in the portal must have really interesting stories. Obviously many of the guys are the best player on a team that they can see won't get near the postseason and they are looking to make the jump to get that shot. We've seen that from Daniels back to Josh Davis. But then there's a situation like the number one rated guy, a successful center for Virginia Tech who the article says would be expected to be an all-conference type player wherever he goes... Makes you wonder why he is leaving. I mean, VT isn't the greatest place, but he's playing (and doing well) in the freaking ACC. I suspect many of those stories are off-the-court stuff (not necessarily bad stuff, just not basketball related).