Jordan Wright

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Re: Jordan Wright

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

randymc wrote:I don't think Orleans Darkwa had any regrets about leaving Nashville's twang for the urban beat of New Orleans for his college career. Funniest thing about Nashville was the restaurants there called "meat and three"...when I first moved there I wondered what the "three" was. well, it's 3 vegetables...such creative cuisine. not.
talking shiat about "meat and threes" is a "ban worthy" offense.... you've been warned :twisted:
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Nashville is an extremely hot town right now, but not necessarily with, in Bay's terms, "urban ballers". Then again, the same could be said about uptown New Orleans and Tulane's campus. Call that a draw. Both Tulane and Vandy are great academic schools. Both went winless in conference last year. Arguably going winless against the likes of Kentucky and Florida looks better (as much as going winless ever could). Vandy has SEC money and SEC facilities but obviously is a football-first conference, where a recruiter could argue the AAC is balanced or even basketball-centric.
Both programs have new coaches. Ron Hunter is a proven college coaching winner and Jerry Stackhouse is... a former NBA player and UNC star who has only been a professional assistant coach.
Who knows...
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
sr wrote:One fact about Vandy - they had the same conference record as Tulane. I'd rather spend my time in New Orleans - especially with Jazz Fest starting up and the Zurich Classic.
Yeah, nothing appeals to the aspiring college basketball player like Jazzfest and golf.
Amen. Urban ballers definitely yearn to spend Saturday night at the Opry after a fun filled weekend afternoon contemplating the faux Parthenon in the Athens of the South.

Glad to learn early that Vandy is a slam dunk here. It’ll keep the crowds down while I head to Zurich this morning and then on to Jazz Fest.
Incredible that you made those leaps without me even mentioning Vandy. Beamon-esque, even.
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

hoops recruiting aside, Nashville has spent the past 12 years trying to become Atlanta; the town has long had an inferiority complex although it did give us franchised hotels (Holiday Inn got its early start there), franchised restaurants (Shoney's), franchised hospitals (HCA and others) and franchised/corporate religious institutions (Lifeway); franchised prisons (Corrections Corp. of America). also instant music that all sounds alike. Vanderbilt (much like Tulane) is second banana in its hometown to Tennessee (LSU in our case).
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
sr wrote:One fact about Vandy - they had the same conference record as Tulane. I'd rather spend my time in New Orleans - especially with Jazz Fest starting up and the Zurich Classic.
Yeah, nothing appeals to the aspiring college basketball player like Jazzfest and golf.
Amen. Urban ballers definitely yearn to spend Saturday night at the Opry after a fun filled weekend afternoon contemplating the faux Parthenon in the Athens of the South.

Glad to learn early that Vandy is a slam dunk here. It’ll keep the crowds down while I head to Zurich this morning and then on to Jazz Fest.
Incredible that you made those leaps without me even mentioning Vandy. Beamon-esque, even.
Incredible or not, you brought it up to troll another Wave fan. Wright may very well end up at Vandy but if he does go to Tulane, it will be another solid pickup from BR. That to me is the interesting story here not belittling fellow Wavers who think some potential recruits might view New Orleans as giving Tulane an edge in recruiting against Nashville.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
ml wave wrote:

Incredible or not, you brought it up to troll another Wave fan. Wright may very well end up at Vandy but if he does go to Tulane, it will be another solid pickup from BR. That to me is the interesting story here not belittling fellow Wavers who think some potential recruits might view New Orleans as giving Tulane an edge in recruiting against Nashville.
I'm not trolling or belittling, I'm encouraging people to think/look beyond their own perspective.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

randymc wrote:hoops recruiting aside, Nashville has spent the past 12 years trying to become Atlanta; the town has long had an inferiority complex although it did give us franchised hotels (Holiday Inn got its early start there), franchised restaurants (Shoney's), franchised hospitals (HCA and others) and franchised/corporate religious institutions (Lifeway); franchised prisons (Corrections Corp. of America). also instant music that all sounds alike. Vanderbilt (much like Tulane) is second banana in its hometown to Tennessee (LSU in our case).
you left out O'Charley's
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Billow
Coach Level

Unread post by Billow »

Wright to Vanderbilt
murphwave
Coach Level

Unread post by murphwave »

Chose Vandy. Bummer.
BS '99
MBA 2007
Billow
Coach Level

Jordan Wright to

Unread post by Billow »

Vanderbilt
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Billow wrote:Wright to Vanderbilt
Saw that coming. The allure of the $EC still holds.
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Unread post by angrywavedad »

PeteRasche wrote:
Not very surprising. So why the lip service about Tulane?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Bummer. Reading all the comments on the board yesterday, it seemed like he was headed our way. Folks, this is going to take a while to build. Hunter is probably realizing this will be a very slow process. Tulane basketball is not an easy thing to sell. Wish we would just go the transfer portal right now and recruit a number of high school kids next year.
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

angrywavedad wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Son’s theory is that he was always going to Vandy and that the mentions of Tulane were a favor of sorts to his Tulane connections to put the Green Wave in the conversation at a high level. Who knows.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

tjtlja wrote:Bummer. Reading all the comments on the board yesterday, it seemed like he was headed our way.
That's because people on this board generally think we're getting everyone that mentions us, even if their list is Tulane, Duke, UNC, and Kentucky.

(and if there was any justice as far as cheating is concerned, we'd be the only program left of those four after the federal trial stuff... But there's not...)
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

PeteRasche wrote:
tjtlja wrote:Bummer. Reading all the comments on the board yesterday, it seemed like he was headed our way.
That's because people on this board generally think we're getting everyone that mentions us, even if their list is Tulane, Duke, UNC, and Kentucky.

(and if there was any justice as far as cheating is concerned, we'd be the only program left of those four after the federal trial stuff... But there's not...)
He had a final of 2 of Tulane and Vandy, so your theory definitely holds here
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

angrywavedad wrote:
angrywavedad wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Son’s theory is that he was always going to Vandy and that the mentions of Tulane were a favor of sorts to his Tulane connections to put the Green Wave in the conversation at a high level. Who knows.
I had heard of that with a football recruit (who’s name escapes me) under CJ. Kept mentioning Tulane with his bigger offers because his family knew CJ well.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Someone mentioned earlier that more people are leaving than coming. That is a major concern right now. We need some good news.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Yankeewave »

or maybe he wanted to keep people waiting because it meant more attention. i am not sure how us coming in 2nd place is really beneficial. maybe i am a cynic.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Cameron Justice from IUPUI to Western Ky. Don’t know if this has been reported. Samir Sehic with a big congratulations. Did Samir even try to help get him to Tulane? Probably reading way too much into it - I hope. Just very frustrating.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

He didn't come here. He is not a Tulanian. Why waste another keystroke on him?
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Roller wrote:He didn't come here. He is not a Tulanian. Why waste another keystroke on him?
Because right now we are looking at a ‘19-‘20 team with maybe 8 scholarship players - many of whom haven’t been all that great at playing basketball. So we are clutching at straws and trying to figure out what is going on.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Yankeewave wrote:or maybe he wanted to keep people waiting because it meant more attention. i am not sure how us coming in 2nd place is really beneficial. maybe i am a cynic.
Maybe he's a kid trying to make an important life decision?