John Georges/The Advocate purchase The Times-Picayune

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

John Georges/The Advocate purchase The Times-Picayune

Post by TU77CAL82 »

Owners of The New Orleans Advocate buy NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
https://www.nola.com/news/2019/05/owner ... ayune.html
The Advocate will publish a seven-day, home-delivered newspaper in New Orleans using the brands and features of both publications. The new paper will debut in June. The two papers’ websites will be merged under the nola.com brand around the same time.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Re: John Georges/The Advocate purchase The Times-Picayune

Post by OGSB »

I can remember when the TP bought out The States Item.
Victory is never permanent
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

But do you remember when The Picayune bought out The Times-Democrat?

Probably not! I think it happened in 1914.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Regardless, the only concern is whether the merging of the two entities will result in the same, more, or less Tulane coverage. I'm betting on same or less.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Maybe now they'll stop saying "former LSUcks QB"
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:Maybe now they'll stop saying "former LSUcks QB"
We could just always refer to them as former Times Picyune writer___________.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Poseidon wrote:
krewe of ham and eggs wrote:Maybe now they'll stop saying "former LSUcks QB"
We could just always refer to them as former Times Picyune writer___________.
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote:Regardless, the only concern is whether the merging of the two entities will result in the same, more, or less Tulane coverage. I'm betting on same or less.
The Advocate has been less terrible in their coverage than the Times-Pic. I would expect it'll remain at Advocate levels.
EagerBiever
Breaker Level

Post by EagerBiever »

I stopped reading The Times Picayune/Nola.com about 3 years ago. While much led to it, these were the tipping points.

https://www.nola.com/lsu/2016/05/leonar ... weets.html

https://www.nola.com/lsu/2016/04/leonar ... tte_1.html

https://www.nola.com/lsu/2016/10/7_reas ... te_wo.html
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

clearly they jumped the shark years ago and spent the intervening years to now desperately seeking the lowest hanging fruit they could find. And they still imploded.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Pros:
-7 days a week
-local ownership
-better Tulane coverage

Cons:
-Lot of really good people out of a job
-more power for John Georges
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Isn't that like purchasing a company whose sole product was tape cassettes in 2000?
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Looks like 161 will lose their jobs …

https://twitter.com/tmorris504/status/1 ... 34816?s=20
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Roller wrote:Isn't that like purchasing a company whose sole product was tape cassettes in 2000?
Print journalism isn’t half as dead as corporate typeslike to pretend. The landscape isn’t pretty, but there’s no reason nola can’t support a 7 day a week papet
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

WaveProf wrote:
Roller wrote:Isn't that like purchasing a company whose sole product was tape cassettes in 2000?
Print journalism isn’t half as dead as corporate typeslike to pretend. The landscape isn’t pretty, but there’s no reason nola can’t support a 7 day a week papet
Old people ain't dead yet (insert obligatory Holy Grail reference), parakeet cages still need lining, and you gotta wrap fish in something...
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

The Newhouse family sold the 182-year-old daily The Times-Picayune and its website, nola.com, to a scrappy New Orleans competitor, and the entire staff is being laid off. That has stirred worries across the other papers in the family’s Advance Publications empire.

:shock:
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

PeteRasche wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
Old people ain't dead yet (insert obligatory Holy Grail reference), parakeet cages still need lining, and you gotta wrap fish in something...
A week or so ago, DJ on the radio mentioned it was the 30th anniversary of the release of Full Moon Fever, which got my attention and "must be getting old" thoughts going because that was either the very first, or certainly, one of the first DVD purchases I made. It also spoke to how in a span of a mere 30-35 years, a revolutionary medium came and went.

Newspapers are what 400-500 years old? Everything runs its course, except for wine, beer, death and taxes, I suppose. It was a good run. RIP.
Bring home da Wave!
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

sr wrote:Looks like 161 will lose their jobs …
TBD
https://twitter.com/tmorris504/status/1 ... 34816?s=20
I guess some number of reporters/photographers will be offered part-time stringer jobs like Guerry Smith. They will be paid on a contract piece basis. I'm not sure that scenario will get Tulane better or more coverage. TBD. By definition it's a hard living for those folks with no employer-provided benefits.

However I think the days of snarky TP/NOLA Tulane headlines and utter lack of interest in Tulane by non-local Advance editors are over. Those decision makers like the "Leglue Louisiana college lineman" headline writer are kaput.

Dabe did a nice job when he was assigned to do the too few Tulane stories. Hope the new regime at least gives him a shot to continue the same.

on edit: I guess it's Halm now at TP also covering Tulane nicely (on his too infrequent assignments under Advance folks) but I check nola.com so infrequently, I'm not surprised I booted that one.
Last edited by Baywave1 on Sun May 05, 2019 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

One other point. Advocate/NOLA.com will almost certainly become paywall sites like WSJ with perhaps a "Remove Ad Blocker" transition period for limited initial access to online pieces. If you don't subscribe and just check Tulane material at the website(s), be prepared to open your wallet. It's coming.

So here's another commercial for the pay sites that do cover Tulane: FTW and Guerry Smith (and occasionally The Athletic.) We might as well directly support those independent folks who provide meaningful in depth Tulane coverage. "Free to the reader" doesn't exist in this world.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Paywalls coming eventually? Yes, for all papers.

For the Advocate, supposedly they are leaning no for now, in spite of rumors to the contrary. They want to consolodate readership and regain mid major paper status before they do anything to limit readership.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Wrong again, looks like they put up a paywall today
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

GreenieBacker wrote:Wrong again, looks like they put up a paywall today
I see no paywall at Nola which is the website they plan to use after June 1

The advocate has had a pay wall since at least April 23, which was before the most recent offer to buy the TP had even been initiated, if we believe the news.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
Dude, we're in New Orleans and it's crawfish season. Just sayin'....
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Future is more Lion King and fewer plagiarized term papers for former owners of the TP according to today's WSJ. Publication ad revenue is the past. Behind a paywall.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/vanity-fai ... ajor_pos13
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

It will be interesting to see what happens to newspaper websites in the next decade. I could be totally wrong but I see paywall news sites suffering the same fate as newspapers. The younger generation has been raised on getting everything they want for free; free music (Napster and every method since), free movies and TV (bit torrent and bootleg sites), free information (endless options). Heck, SNL made a joke this past weekend about how "20 million people watched 'Game of Thrones' last week... On 10 'HBO Go' accounts". At some point they will learn life isn't free but rather than accepting it and paying, their generation has shown they are more likely to invent an alternative (and from that alternative, new advertising opportunities will arise which will fund the free-ness).

Or, as has been shown to be the case with many Americans already, they'll just get their "news" from social media. :shock: