Justin Ibieta

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
long green
Cornerstone

Re: Justin Ibieta

Post by long green »

Baywave1 wrote:
long green wrote:It is by no means certain that this kid is worthy of a priceless (for us, this year, at QB) scholarship. Not yet, anyway. Anyone saying he is is just talking out of his hat. I would go so far as to say that getting him on campus this summer should be a priority, along with several other QB prospects, including some other local guys. Oh, and baseball ability should play NO PART WHATSOEVER in evaluating any QB prospect. Should it be disqualifying? No.

Sorry but why shouldn't being a potentially decent multi-sport athlete matter? That's what I respect about Fritz. He clearly is within reason willing to use his relatively larger football resources to help other sports at Tulane.

One other issue here: Tulane football is recruiting Ibieta very hard. Some of us here are rooting for it to succeed because Ibieta is a local Tulane athletic legacy on multiple levels. Regardless of that, why is Fritz pursuing him so hard if this guy is such a project? This isn't being driven by the fans. It's coming from Wilson building.
Tulane made him one of those non-official offers that they've made to scores if not hundreds of other 2020 prospects. Other than that I'd like to see evidence of the extreme interest Fritz is supposed to have. Can you help?

On edit: it's great that he's a multi-sport athlete. He made all-State in basketball, for goodness' sake. It argues that he has potential to develop at whatever he concentrates on. But a football scholarship to play QB means he would be expected to be a QB first, second, third, etc. This is doubly true in the current era of the hard 25 new schollies per year. A QB signee this year is too important.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

long green wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
long green wrote:It is by no means certain that this kid is worthy of a priceless (for us, this year, at QB) scholarship. Not yet, anyway. Anyone saying he is is just talking out of his hat. I would go so far as to say that getting him on campus this summer should be a priority, along with several other QB prospects, including some other local guys. Oh, and baseball ability should play NO PART WHATSOEVER in evaluating any QB prospect. Should it be disqualifying? No.

Sorry but why shouldn't being a potentially decent multi-sport athlete matter? That's what I respect about Fritz. He clearly is within reason willing to use his relatively larger football resources to help other sports at Tulane.

One other issue here: Tulane football is recruiting Ibieta very hard. Some of us here are rooting for it to succeed because Ibieta is a local Tulane athletic legacy on multiple levels. Regardless of that, why is Fritz pursuing him so hard if this guy is such a project? This isn't being driven by the fans. It's coming from Wilson building.
Tulane made him one of those non-official offers that they've made to scores if not hundreds of other 2020 prospects. Other than that I'd like to see evidence of the extreme interest Fritz is supposed to have. Can you help?

On edit: it's great that he's a multi-sport athlete. He made all-State in basketball, for goodness' sake. It argues that he has potential to develop at whatever he concentrates on. But a football scholarship to play QB means he would be expected to be a QB first, second, third, etc. This is doubly true in the current era of the hard 25 new schollies per year. A QB signee this year is too important.
This is romance period. All I will say is Tulane today is intensely recruiting him. Maybe the same as ten other guys, maybe not. Recruiting is not a suicide endeavor. It's an exercise in redundancy. Proof will be when signing time comes. I'm comfortable with what I've said that Tulane today vigorously wants him in the mix and is showing him the love. Be prepared for teeth grinding if a particular other enters the mix.

Back to his athleticism. So it takes him a few years to develop in college. How does that make him less appealing? How many true frosh starters in any sport at any position should Tulane expect annually? So what if he is not a Trevor Lawrence or a Tagovailoa?

We'll save discussion of multisport athletes for another day. Let's just say I'm partial to Duhon/Kyler Murray model.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Romance is definitely a word I would apply to your perspective here. I hope Ibieta is the guy but I think that's premature and I think the baseball angle is overstated. The Duhon/Murray model? Murray is a unicorn, not a model and Duhon last played here FIFTY-TWO YEARS AGO.

You're not objective at all here. I think his athletic ability is a fine thing and a signal of potential. You missed that. I just think he should be thought of as a QB prospect only.

Give me a clue about the "particular other." I think I know and I'd love to comment. Also, Justin has some work to do to overcome the Lindsey Scott thread.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

how IS Lindsey Scott doing, I wonder? :jerry:
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

long green wrote:But a football scholarship to play QB means he would be expected to be a QB first, second, third, etc. This is doubly true in the current era of the hard 25 new schollies per year. A QB signee this year is too important.
Darius Bradwell was recruited to play QB when we really needed a QB, but he was a great athlete and I'm thinking most folks are glad we recruited him.

My guess is if he gets an LSU offer, he goes there. If not, and he has a Tulane offer, he goes here. Likely no matter who else recruits him (unless our offer is a PWO and he has a full ride elsewhere). But this guess is based purely on his bloodlines.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Bradwell was being recruited as a RB by everyone else pursuing him. So he had another position he projected at. That's not the case for Ibieta. I hope he develops and comes here and leads us to championships. The fact is his school has put a lot of emphasis on athletics in the past decade but they play in a very low classification and their players haven't done much at this level. We'll see.
We deserve so much better
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

https://wgno.com/2019/05/08/in-the-zone ... in-ibieta/
long green wrote:Romance is definitely a word I would apply to your perspective here. I hope Ibieta is the guy but I think that's premature and I think the baseball angle is overstated. The Duhon/Murray model? Murray is a unicorn, not a model and Duhon last played here FIFTY-TWO YEARS AGO.

You're not objective at all here. I think his athletic ability is a fine thing and a signal of potential. You missed that. I just think he should be thought of as a QB prospect only.

Give me a clue about the "particular other." I think I know and I'd love to comment. Also, Justin has some work to do to overcome the Lindsey Scott thread.
Don't take it from me. Take it from Ibieta's coach via Ed Daniels above. Meanwhile you know who the other is and it ain't Lord Voldemort. We'll just have to agree to disagree about Ibieta's multi-sport potential.

Finally no I'm not Ed Daniels' producer and I didn't arrange this interview within a few days of your post for additional background. :green wink:
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Remind me to drop off the rent check 'cause I am living in your head.

The kid's coach? Boy, I'm convinced. You are blinded in this case. If this kid is The Guy for us at QB, great. But it's way early.
Wavery
Navigator Level

Post by Wavery »

long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

We just offered a Landon Ibieta the other day. I don’t know of any relation between the two though I wouldn’t be surprised if there is one. Landon is a sophomore WR at Mandeville HS across the lake.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

long green wrote:We just offered a Landon Ibieta the other day. I don’t know of any relation between the two though I wouldn’t be surprised if there is one. Landon is a sophomore WR at Mandeville HS across the lake.
Yeah how many Ibieta's can there be?
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

Yeah, they are cousins. Landon is quite a bit different. He's 5'11 175. Very quick.
This one belongs to the Wave.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

long green wrote:Remind me to drop off the rent check 'cause I am living in your head.

The kid's coach? Boy, I'm convinced. You are blinded in this case. If this kid is The Guy for us at QB, great. But it's way early.
Just remember to send a donation to Tulane athletics when Ibieta starts playing baseball. It may not happen his frosh year but it will be before he leaves. And it will be because Ibieta wants to do it and Fritz enthusiastically will support it as long as Ibieta makes spring football practice. With one in the morning and one in the afternoon, it won't be like Duhon taking batting practice in his football pants.

Finally it won't matter what's in my head rent free today because I can promise that you, Ibieta and everything else will be all gone from my brain soon enough. But the Tulane tie will still be around my neck. (Old style: not the Cowan Circle Romanesque logo remake.) :green wink:
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Article from Justin's game last night -- big comeback win.

https://www.nola.com/sports/high_school ... 9852d.html
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

sr wrote:Article from Justin's game last night -- big comeback win.

https://www.nola.com/sports/high_school ... 9852d.html
That article mentioned our game a couple times, which is rare, even for stories about our commits.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »