Let the speculation begin

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Let the speculation begin

Unread post by NJwave »

I’m in the get rid of him camp. Not only hasn’t he won, recruited or developed pitchers but last night he embarrassed Tulane. What he said about Gillies publicly was a disgrace. We can do better.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Re: Let the speculation begin

Unread post by WaveProf »

It's time to move on. Actually it is beyond time to move on.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Unread post by 1309th WAVE »

I was among the very few who thought it wasn't time
and I'm an idiot for that reason (well, not for that one specifically but it's on the list)

I have changed my mind
fearthewave
Breaker Level

Unread post by fearthewave »

No intel just a guess: I think he goes another year, especially to give Latham a chance to bring in guys

Also personally would be interested if Washington State takes a look. WVU had a situation with Dana where they didn't try to keep that going and it opened the door for Houston to pull him in as a mutual type of deal
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Unread post by BACONWAVE »

fearthewave wrote:No intel just a guess: I think he goes another year, especially to give Latham a chance to bring in guys

Also personally would be interested if Washington State takes a look. WVU had a situation with Dana where they didn't try to keep that going and it opened the door for Houston to pull him in as a mutual type of deal
I think he gets one more year. Everything will finally settle down & he can have all the blame placed on his shoulders. Then all these TJ haters, while acting like they really are giving him a shot, can either keep saying they told us so or eat crow.
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

So you agree that if he returns and misses the regionals he should then be shown the door?
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Wave Revival
Navigator Level

Unread post by Wave Revival »

It’s not as bad as the Dunleavy situation was and I doubt our AD wants to fire a second coach that he hired three years ago. It will be a really poor reflection on him.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

long green wrote:So you agree that if he returns and misses the regionals he should then be shown the door?
yes

unless Wazzu does the deed, that is what we're looking at
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

BACONWAVE wrote:
fearthewave wrote:No intel just a guess: I think he goes another year, especially to give Latham a chance to bring in guys

I think he gets one more year. Everything will finally settle down & he can have all the blame placed on his shoulders. Then all these TJ haters, while acting like they really are giving him a shot, can either keep saying they told us so or eat crow.
What has he done to make you think the light goes on in year 4? We lose a lot of of our best position players as well as Roper. Solesky returns but not much else on the mound unless Cellucci and Pellerin pitch to their talent level. Haskin is a player but how many other of this year’s freshman will be productive players? Are any of the freshman coming in going to be immediate contributors?

Look at the excitement over Hunter and Fritz has certainly moved the needle. Why can’t we have a baseball coach that does the same?
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

long green wrote:So you agree that if he returns and misses the regionals he should then be shown the door?
Yes.....he will have had time to allocate schollys how he wants it & balance team to his liking....I fear like some others...that we may not reach pre-Katrina glory in the current baseball landscape. Look at all the perennial powerhouses struggling this year...
long green
Cornerstone

1309th WAVE wrote:
yes

I was addressing BACONWAVE.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

NJwave wrote: Why can’t we have a baseball coach that does the same?
Because he had an affair with an athletics department staffer while his wife was pregnant?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

gerryb323 wrote:
Because he had an affair with an athletics department staffer while his wife was pregnant?
Needed a good laugh. Thanks!
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

NJwave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Needed a good laugh. Thanks!
:oops: :roll: :mrgreen:
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
HEY NOW
I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK
long green
Cornerstone

Wave Revival wrote:It’s not as bad as the Dunleavy situation was and I doubt our AD wants to fire a second coach that he hired three years ago. It will be a really poor reflection on him.
Maybe Hunter won't succeed but pulling the plug on Dunleavy was a boost to Dannen. Is there a Ron Hunter out there?
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

Finished the season 7-16.
Terrible record against both too and bad in-state teams.
Not close to a regional in 3 seasons.
Last edited by GSx on Fri May 24, 2019 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

1309th WAVE wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
HEY NOW
I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

long green wrote:
1309th WAVE wrote:
yes

I was addressing BACONWAVE.
You ain’t getting BACONWAVE to even come close to uttering a bad word about Big Jew.
Big Jew must do a great job schmoozing at those meetings with the fans, because BACONWAVE is mesmerized.
Wave Revival
Navigator Level

Unread post by Wave Revival »

long green wrote:
Wave Revival wrote:It’s not as bad as the Dunleavy situation was and I doubt our AD wants to fire a second coach that he hired three years ago. It will be a really poor reflection on him.
Maybe Hunter won't succeed but pulling the plug on Dunleavy was a boost to Dannen. Is there a Ron Hunter out there?
It certainly was a boost. There is now accountability in the athletic department and more urgency to succeed. No more five year plans. But I don't think our Athletic Director is going to want to call President Fitts next week and tell him he needs to make a change in the baseball program. Fitts should be wondering if Dannen is capable of hiring the right guy after we just went through this with basketball and now Fitts would have to start his summer by showing up for a press conference to introduce a new coach. I think Jewett narrowly gets a fourth year, but could be gone before the next season ends if baseball doesn't show significant improvement.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

I, for one, believe Jewett is a phenomenal coach who will really flourish with an opportunity at a big-time program
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

long green wrote:Is there a Ron Hunter out there?
there is one that goes by the name of Matt Deggs
long green
Cornerstone

He leveled off a bit this year. Was it a rebuild?
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

gerryb323 wrote:I, for one, believe Jewett is a phenomenal coach who will really flourish with an opportunity at a big-time program
Helping him lobby for the Washington State job?
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

Deggs is a great choice