So, on to next topic, MLB Draft starts Monday

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Re: So, on to next topic, MLB Draft starts Monday

Unread post by ml wave »

long green wrote:4 year colleges? Maybe things change in later rounds but when I was glancing at Day 3 it was hard not to notice how fee guys were getting picked out of high school. If the pattern held throughout more JC guys were taken in that remaining 27 selections.
I think the bonus pool money really makes it hard to take many HS guys after round 10.
TU23
President's Circle

Unread post by TU23 »

Grant Mathews will sign. Not only does he not have another year to waste if he's ever going to make it, but his scholarship ran out at the end of the year, and we don't have a full ride to give to him. I don't know the family's financial situation, but his dad is a coach, so that has to factor into this. He probably can't afford $60,000 to play as a redshirt senior when he's graduated and has other options to pursue. It's one reason why redshirting makes little sense in baseball anymore unless you have millions of dollars to throw around.
This one belongs to the Wave.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

TU23 wrote:Grant Mathews will sign. Not only does he not have another year to waste if he's ever going to make it, but his scholarship ran out at the end of the year, and we don't have a full ride to give to him. I don't know the family's financial situation, but his dad is a coach, so that has to factor into this. He probably can't afford $60,000 to play as a redshirt senior when he's graduated and has other options to pursue. It's one reason why redshirting makes little sense in baseball anymore unless you have millions of dollars to throw around.
Agree on his timeline, but wasn't he on legislative scholly?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

ml wave wrote:
TU23 wrote:Grant Mathews will sign. Not only does he not have another year to waste if he's ever going to make it, but his scholarship ran out at the end of the year, and we don't have a full ride to give to him. I don't know the family's financial situation, but his dad is a coach, so that has to factor into this. He probably can't afford $60,000 to play as a redshirt senior when he's graduated and has other options to pursue. It's one reason why redshirting makes little sense in baseball anymore unless you have millions of dollars to throw around.
Could be the scholarship to which he's referring. It's probably for undergrad only, no?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

He was injured at some point early while he was here which may have been behind the RS.
We deserve so much better
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Could be the scholarship to which he's referring. It's probably for undergrad only, no?
Ahh, good point...probably?