Go Noles

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
tufinal4
Navigator Level

Go Noles

Unread post by tufinal4 »

2 game sweep of that windbag Mainieri- next best thing to winning is still watching LSU lose
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Re: Go Noles

Unread post by 1309th WAVE »

In a just universe 11's career wouldn't end in the stinking litterbox.
There is hope for this timeline yet.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

That was sweet. Nothing like seeing FSU dog pile on the box.

Some of the super regionals have been terrific. Oklahoma State/Texas Tech and Michigan/UCLA regionals have been outstanding. And the 19k no hitter by the Vandy freshman last night against Duke was terrific.

We use to be in these scenarios. I guest you can say we have de-emphasized baseball. Economics dictates our baseball program will never be what it was.
Wavefan
Coach Level

Unread post by Wavefan »

Never say never.
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Unread post by BACONWAVE »

tjtlja wrote:That was sweet. Nothing like seeing FSU dog pile on the box.

Some of the super regionals have been terrific. Oklahoma State/Texas Tech and Michigan/UCLA regionals have been outstanding. And the 19k no hitter by the Vandy freshman last night against Duke was terrific.

We use to be in these scenarios. I guest you can say we have de-emphasized baseball. Economics dictates our baseball program will never be what it was.
I hope you are being sarcastic with last line......anywho....how the FFFFFFF you pitch to Noles best hitter with 1st base open? Great coaching by Les Mainieri.
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

BACONWAVE wrote:

I hope you are being sarcastic with last line......anywho....how the FFFFFFF you pitch to Noles best hitter with 1st base open? Great coaching by Les Mainieri.
Guy on deck was arguably just as good.

As for tjtlja’s last line, haven’t you pretty much said the same thing? Something along the lines of kids not wanting to leave home and come pay a high tuition to play at Tulane, so we’re not going to be what we used to be?
noladave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by noladave »

I don’t celebrate anyone losing - even LSU. Have to feel for their pitcher - pitched his guts out.

Some guys show up, and are prime time. Those are the guys you want playing for you. Just like the FSU batter...

Moving this to the non-Tulane forum.
visualmagic
President's Circle

noladave wrote:I don’t celebrate anyone losing - even LSU.
Lame
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

visualmagic wrote:
BACONWAVE wrote:

As for tjtlja’s last line, haven’t you pretty much said the same thing? Something along the lines of kids not wanting to leave home and come pay a high tuition to play at Tulane, so we’re not going to be what we used to be?
Yeah his last line threw me off...because I could swear anybody else could win here according to you, him, & others.... :roll:
visualmagic
President's Circle

I think it’s pretty clear that not anybody can win here, Travis Jewett is proving that. I think it takes a high quality coach to win here. It’d be nice to have one.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

BACONWAVE wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
BACONWAVE wrote:

Yeah his last line threw me off...because I could swear anybody else could win here according to you, him, & others.... :roll:
Are you out of your mind Coach Jewett? Absolutely no one has said anyone can win here. We have said you need good coaching in every sport. You are always looking to start some crap. It is clear to everyone on this board that baseball will not be our flagship program in the near future. The lack of any action after year one sent a very loud message that baseball is third or fourth fiddle. We will make that once in a blue moon regional, probably similar to women’s basketball. Tulane baseball has been de-emphasized tremendously from the program we are use to having. Even RD could figure that one out. Bacon, take your bs somewhere else.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Rice did it until it didn’t. Stanford always does and barely missed the CWS this year. Duke has grown a program on the verge of national prominence. It can be done.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

tjtlja wrote:
BACONWAVE wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
BACONWAVE wrote:

Are you out of your mind Coach Jewett? Absolutely no one has said anyone can win here. We have said you need good coaching in every sport. You are always looking to start some crap. It is clear to everyone on this board that baseball will not be our flagship program in the near future. The lack of any action after year one sent a very loud message that baseball is third or fourth fiddle. We will make that once in a blue moon regional, probably similar to women’s basketball. Tulane baseball has been de-emphasized tremendously from the program we are use to having. Even RD could figure that one out. Bacon, take your bs somewhere else.

I'm not out of my mind.....you are always on here saying we can get back to glory days with the right coach...now all of a sudden you are saying we will never be the same due to economics...even with a new coach? Try to keep your head hunting message the same as your expectations for baseball. As far as starting BS? WTF are you talking about? Have you looked back at your comments to others or the threads you have started? Are you hitting up the Tulane beer supply in your mancave?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

tjtlja wrote:It is clear to everyone on this board that baseball will not be our flagship program in the near future. The lack of any action after year one sent a very loud message that baseball is third or fourth fiddle.
We've discussed this before but it always seems to get lost in the passion of baseball season... Anyone who truly cares about the future viability of Tulane Athletics should not expect baseball to ever be any higher than third or fourth fiddle. Don't like that? Don't yell at me, it's the landscape that modern college sports (thanks to TV) has created. Football has to be first and basketball has to be second. This is not even arguable. The only argument is whether baseball should be behind WBB or in front of it.

If anyone labors under the misconception that baseball should be first or second fiddle, that would imply said person prefers the halcyon days of Rick Dickson and department reviews and hemorrhaging money and CUSA competition and relying on All-Access to watch almost every game in every sport. Ah, fun times, weren't they?
visualmagic
President's Circle

Of course football and basketball come 1st, but that doesn’t mean baseball should be treated as an afterthought. We should still be trying to win.
If anyone labors under the misconception that baseball should be first or second fiddle, that would imply said person prefers the halcyon days of Rick Dickson and department reviews and hemorrhaging money and CUSA competition and relying on All-Access to watch almost every game in every sport. Ah, fun times, weren't they?
Baseball wasn’t 1st or 2nd fiddle then either.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

visualmagic wrote:Baseball wasn’t 1st or 2nd fiddle then either.
One might argue that athletics as a whole were third fiddle to Cowen's ego and Dickson's selfishness...
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

PeteRasche wrote:
tjtlja wrote:It is clear to everyone on this board that baseball will not be our flagship program in the near future. The lack of any action after year one sent a very loud message that baseball is third or fourth fiddle.
We've discussed this before but it always seems to get lost in the passion of baseball season... Anyone who truly cares about the future viability of Tulane Athletics should not expect baseball to ever be any higher than third or fourth fiddle. Don't like that? Don't yell at me, it's the landscape that modern college sports (thanks to TV) has created. Football has to be first and basketball has to be second. This is not even arguable. The only argument is whether baseball should be behind WBB or in front of it
This.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:
We've discussed this before but it always seems to get lost in the passion of baseball season... Anyone who truly cares about the future viability of Tulane Athletics should not expect baseball to ever be any higher than third or fourth fiddle. Don't like that? Don't yell at me, it's the landscape that modern college sports (thanks to TV) has created. Football has to be first and basketball has to be second. This is not even arguable. The only argument is whether baseball should be behind WBB or in front of it.

Totally agree that football should be the priority, but that's resource-wise and I don't think anyone is arguing that baseball should have the same/more resources as football or basketball. Devoting more resources to football/MBB does not mean that you tolerate subpar efforts/results in other sports. Football being a priority did not stop us from making changes in the golf program, for instance. A good question is if the seeming lack of a sense of urgency around the baseball program is a result of a lack of resources...e.g. is Jewett still here because we didn't want/have the money to fire him and pay a new coach also?
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

ml wave wrote: A good question is if the seeming lack of a sense of urgency around the baseball program is a result of a lack of resources...e.g. is Jewett still here because we didn't want/have the money to fire him and pay a new coach also?
I think that always factors in, especially since it appears we already used the bump in AAC rights money to cover Dunleavy's contract. But on paper, the team was better this year than last year.. which was better than the year before. Are we where we need to be? Not even close. Yes, the schedule was dumbed down.. but so was basketball's... and look how THAT turned out. At least baseball showed some positive results from the easy schedule.

I wouldn't be surprised if 2020 is "do or die" for Jewett.. as in "make the tourney or pack your shiat"
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Since lsu lost the Baton Rouge super regional is it proper to say they went home or they stay home for the CWS?
Victory is never permanent
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

OGSB wrote:Since lsu lost the Baton Rouge super regional is it proper to say they went home or they stay home for the CWS?
I would say stay home since they never went to Omaha, but either way they won't be winning any hardware this year.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
OGSB wrote:Since lsu lost the Baton Rouge super regional is it proper to say they went home or they stay home for the CWS?
I would say stay home since they never went to Omaha, but either way they won't be winning any hardware this year.
Staying home except for two entering the Transfer Portal …

https://twitter.com/NOLAnews/status/113 ... 78980?s=20
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

long green wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
We've discussed this before but it always seems to get lost in the passion of baseball season... Anyone who truly cares about the future viability of Tulane Athletics should not expect baseball to ever be any higher than third or fourth fiddle. Don't like that? Don't yell at me, it's the landscape that modern college sports (thanks to TV) has created. Football has to be first and basketball has to be second. This is not even arguable. The only argument is whether baseball should be behind WBB or in front of it
This.
This. Which is very sad. Behind women’s basketball. De-emphasis sucks. Especially for the only program where we have had national success. After the last three weeks, I am at the point we keep Jewett. He will have us around .500, with the occasional terrible year and the occasional year where we get to a regional. Keep the resources and give it to football, and football only. That is truly the only sport that matters. Considering where we play basketball, I cannot give much in resources to either basketball program. Both of these sports will never bring in enough money to make a difference.
visualmagic
President's Circle

There’s been no de-emphasis. We just have a bad coach and other teams have emphasized baseball. That and some rule changes
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

visualmagic wrote:There’s been no de-emphasis. We just have a bad coach and other teams have emphasized baseball. That and some rule changes
If you're not keeping up, you're giving up
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone