Trace Oldner

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Billow
Coach Level

Trace Oldner

Post by Billow »

A name to keep to keep an eye on? A transfer from Navy?
long green
Cornerstone

Re: Trace Oldner

Post by long green »

A 3 star OL from Texas, class of 2018, who left the USNA Prep School. He'd be like Julius Warmsley, a true freshman. He was offered by us, Air Force, ULM, Indiana, and several Ivies, as well as Navy out of HS.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

do we have room? would this be in the next class, i am assuming? love OLs
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Guess thats a yes.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

And there's this -

GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Three Stars, nice other offers (including P5 schools). Looks like a great pick up.....and we get him for 4+ years.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Yankeewave wrote:do we have room? would this be in the next class, i am assuming? love OLs
When TU23 said we didn’t have room, it could be that he knew of Oldner’s arrival already.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

Nice size, has room to add a few pounds, and a nice guy (well, talked to him for about 15 seconds - seemed nice during that time).. :-D
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Comes from my neck of the woods, Katy, TX. Foster high school has been terrific the past several years. Their offense in particular, has been prolific. Should fit our OL perfectly.
djh
Coach Level

Post by djh »

long green wrote:A 3 star OL from Texas, class of 2018, who left the USNA Prep School. He'd be like Julius Warmsley, a true freshman. He was offered by us, Air Force, ULM, Indiana, and several Ivies, as well as Navy out of HS.
Both Rivals and 247 shows him as a 3* for 2018 with offers from Navy, Air Force, Cent, Arkansas, Columbia, Dartmouth, Indiana, La. Monroe, McNeese, Sam Houston St., Steven F. Austin, TULANE, UNLV and Yale. Rivals shows at the time he was 6-5, 290#, 247 shows 6-5, 308#. Just sayin.
'Character is who you are, reputation is what others THINK you are.'
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

He was Navy's 2nd highest rated recruit from the 2018 class. PER 247

https://247sports.com/college/navy/Seas ... l/Commits/
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

any time we sign a OL recruit who holds offers from Navy or GA. Tech, I'm happy.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Wavery
Navigator Level

Post by Wavery »

I'm confused.

Did he sign with Navy?

Where was he for 2018-2019?
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Wavery wrote:I'm confused.

Did he sign with Navy?

Military Prep School.

All correct me if i am wrong, but the prep school is for non-rotc types to acclimate them to military life..?.?
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

GreenieBacker wrote:any time we sign a OL recruit who holds offers from Navy or GA. Tech, I'm happy.
GT is still an ACC school, but they run a regular offense now
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Poseidon wrote:
Wavery wrote:I'm confused.

Did he sign with Navy?

Military Prep School.

All correct me if i am wrong, but the prep school is for non-rotc types to acclimate them to military life..?.?
Almost, but not quite. It's a post-high school prep program to help folks who need some sort of small boost before entering an academy. This is often academic in nature, but it can also involve concerns about acclimation to military-style schooling or even a way of gray-shirting for athletes.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Take a look at Navy's roster and you'll see a huge part of it came through the prep school. Probably the same with the other two academies.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

GretnaGrn wrote:It's a post-high school prep program to help folks who need some sort of small boost before entering an academy. This is often academic in nature, but it can also involve concerns about acclimation to military-style schooling or even a way of gray-shirting for athletes.
Considering he had offers from Columbia, Dartmouth, and Yale, I'm guessing it's not an academic situation.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:It's a post-high school prep program to help folks who need some sort of small boost before entering an academy. This is often academic in nature, but it can also involve concerns about acclimation to military-style schooling or even a way of gray-shirting for athletes.
Considering he had offers from Columbia, Dartmouth, and Yale, I'm guessing it's not an academic situation.
It's pretty clearly grayshirt IMHO.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

GretnaGrn wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
It's pretty clearly grayshirt IMHO.
Grayshirt used to mean non-aq. If he had offers from ivy leagues that isn't the case. What do you mean? The only logicial thing I can think is he had no familiarity with military/ROTC and needed to go through that.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

The prep school is where they stash players that need to redshirt. If you look at our site he is only 278# and that's after spending a year in prep school. It wasn't academic related.
We deserve so much better
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Besides QB, wasnt OL an area of need in the last class? Seems great
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

wavedom wrote:The prep school is where they stash players that need to redshirt. If you look at our site he is only 278# and that's after spending a year in prep school. It wasn't academic related.
You are correct.

I received a presidential and a congressional appointment to the Naval Academy and a full NROTC scholarship to Cornell, Duke, Tulane. NAPS is not for acclimating kids to the military although that does occur by osmosis. NAPS as the prep school is called was ostensibly established for kids who showed promise but weren’t quite there academically, or were academically there but had some physical issues. That’s the charter however it became well known that USNA has used it like wavedom said, to stash football guys who were academically ready but needed some physical grooming. I had a submarine classmate who was 6’ 6” and went to NAPS as a lineman recruit but hurt his knee—the fact that he was a Rickover nuke means there was nothing wrong academically—it was stockpiling.

I liken it to BYU with their mission returning 24 YO players. If someone really cries foul something might be done but everyone just lets it slide. The good thing for the NAPS attendees is since it’s not technically college yet they have zero obligation if they leave.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Looks like a good addition. If football doesn’t pan out he has a name for country music.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson