Trace Oldner

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Re: Trace Oldner

Unread post by tjtlja »

We need OL, and we got another one. This is a nice pickup this late in the game.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Ray »

tjtlja wrote:We need OL, and we got another one. This is a nice pickup this late in the game.
:!: :!: :!:
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Yankeewave »

Fritz is the man. tough schedule is the only thing that could keep us from bowling.

how did the backup QB look in the Spring? one of the publications mentioned him - don't know if it was lip service or if they thought he might have a chance to start. Fritz has shown he is willing to make a move.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Poseidon wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:It's a post-high school prep program to help folks who need some sort of small boost before entering an academy. This is often academic in nature, but it can also involve concerns about acclimation to military-style schooling or even a way of gray-shirting for athletes.
Considering he had offers from Columbia, Dartmouth, and Yale, I'm guessing it's not an academic situation.
It's pretty clearly grayshirt IMHO.
Grayshirt used to mean non-aq. If he had offers from ivy leagues that isn't the case. What do you mean? The only logicial thing I can think is he had no familiarity with military/ROTC and needed to go through that.
Naw, that's not what grayshirting ever was. You're thinking maybe of Prop 48.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

ml wave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:It's a post-high school prep program to help folks who need some sort of small boost before entering an academy. This is often academic in nature, but it can also involve concerns about acclimation to military-style schooling or even a way of gray-shirting for athletes.
Considering he had offers from Columbia, Dartmouth, and Yale, I'm guessing it's not an academic situation.
Grayshirt used to mean non-aq. If he had offers from ivy leagues that isn't the case. What do you mean? The only logicial thing I can think is he had no familiarity with military/ROTC and needed to go through that.
Back around 2000 it meant your a non-aq coming in without scholarship that is expected to be qualified for the next year at which point a scholarship has been reserved for you. I personally know people who did this. Later it it meant signing a player and then telling him to wait until January to enroll to count against the next class. Now the term seems to be thrown around for all kinds of scenarios.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Poseidon wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Back around 2000 it meant your a non-aq coming in without scholarship that is expected to be qualified for the next year at which point a scholarship has been reserved for you. I personally know people who did this. Later it it meant signing a player and then telling him to wait until January to enroll to count against the next class. Now the term seems to be thrown around for all kinds of scenarios.
What is signing a kid in January and counting him back to the last class?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

gerryb323 wrote:
What is signing a kid in January and counting him back to the last class?
Blueshirt
I think.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Poseidon wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Here's a D3 message board using it in the current vernacular back in 2005:

http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?PHPSE ... pic=3735.0

I would love to see a mention of it how you describe, but couldn't find anything. Not sure I even understand what you're saying...you don't qualify but enroll in school (but not as full time student because that starts your clock) and then somehow qualify the next year? How, are you taking the ACT while enrolled in school? Why not just go to JC?
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

TUPF wrote:
wavedom wrote:The prep school is where they stash players that need to redshirt. If you look at our site he is only 278# and that's after spending a year in prep school. It wasn't academic related.
You are correct.

I received a presidential and a congressional appointment to the Naval Academy and a full NROTC scholarship to Cornell, Duke, Tulane. NAPS is not for acclimating kids to the military although that does occur by osmosis. NAPS as the prep school is called was ostensibly established for kids who showed promise but weren’t quite there academically, or were academically there but had some physical issues. That’s the charter however it became well known that USNA has used it like wavedom said, to stash football guys who were academically ready but needed some physical grooming. I had a submarine classmate who was 6’ 6” and went to NAPS as a lineman recruit but hurt his knee—the fact that he was a Rickover nuke means there was nothing wrong academically—it was stockpiling.

I liken it to BYU with their mission returning 24 YO players. If someone really cries foul something might be done but everyone just lets it slide. The good thing for the NAPS attendees is since it’s not technically college yet they have zero obligation if they leave.
This is what I meant by grayshirting; I should have been clearer. It's basically a way to redshirt him without burning any eligibility or an actual redshirt.
Coach Level

Unread post by 1401973 »

Back to the point:
Lord knows we need competition at every OL position. Will be interested to see where he shakes out.
Suggestion: He should start both v Army and Navy. He can chop block all game and refs will never call it.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

ml wave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Here's a D3 message board using it in the current vernacular back in 2005:

http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?PHPSE ... pic=3735.0

I would love to see a mention of it how you describe, but couldn't find anything. Not sure I even understand what you're saying...you don't qualify but enroll in school (but not as full time student because that starts your clock) and then somehow qualify the next year? How, are you taking the ACT while enrolled in school? Why not just go to JC?
I get what they are saying, but I did the same thing myself in '02. I graduated HS in '02 and hurt in fall camp(at ULL) '02 pulled out before the semester began and then enrolled in January '03. No one used used term to describe what I did as gray-shirting, yet that is what you and others would now describe it as. Ac ouple of years later someone who I went to high school with went to LSU was not eligible for the first fall(low ACT score), but played the next four years. What he did was described to me as gray-shirting at that time.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Poseidon
Regent's Circle

So both above that I mentioned where gray shirting.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Poseidon wrote:So both above that I mentioned where gray shirting.
Yep
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote:
Yep
There's absolutely nothing in that link about academic status/grayshirting?
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

ml wave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Yep
There's absolutely nothing in that link about academic status/grayshirting?
If I understand it correctly, grayshirting is like taking an unpaid internship. You can come participate in team activities but you have to pay your own way the first year.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson