Go Noles

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Re: Go Noles

Post by Baywave1 »

gerryb323 wrote: If you're not keeping up, you're giving up
It's certainly true in any free market business. Why not here too?
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
ml wave wrote: A good question is if the seeming lack of a sense of urgency around the baseball program is a result of a lack of resources...e.g. is Jewett still here because we didn't want/have the money to fire him and pay a new coach also?
I think that always factors in, especially since it appears we already used the bump in AAC rights money to cover Dunleavy's contract. But on paper, the team was better this year than last year.. which was better than the year before. Are we where we need to be? Not even close. Yes, the schedule was dumbed down.. but so was basketball's... and look how THAT turned out. At least baseball showed some positive results from the easy schedule.

I wouldn't be surprised if 2020 is "do or die" for Jewett.. as in "make the tourney or pack your shiat"
On what paper? Our RPI has gotten progressively worse.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Here it is -

2017 RPI - 82
2018 RPI - 86
2019 RPI - 98

As far as 2020 being a do or die year, I don’t think that will happen. Just not enough interest other than a few of us. If he can finish near .500, it will be considered a good season. The university is not that interested in spending money on a sport like baseball. Like Jewett said, promises have been broken and you can bet those promises involved money. All the money needs to be funneled to football, and rightfully so.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

tjtlja wrote:Here it is -

2017 RPI - 82
2018 RPI - 86
2019 RPI - 98

As far as 2020 being a do or die year, I don’t think that will happen. Just not enough interest other than a few of us. If he can finish near .500, it will be considered a good season. The university is not that interested in spending money on a sport like baseball. Like Jewett said, promises have been broken and you can bet those promises involved money. All the money needs to be funneled to football, and rightfully so.
I say Winning>RPI. One thing that hurt was the state schools this year wer not as good as they have been. ULL sucking and not playing LSU probably dropped us 15-20 slots without having just two wins from them. We won more conference games. I know that the tourney is the goal, but somr winning is better than losing. I agree with most of the rest. Football can drive the other sports if it becomes very successful and it just doesn't work th other way around. Paying off Dunleavy bites. If basketball and football become healthy we can then throw more money at a new baseball coach.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Given our history, arena, and attendance, it is very hard to imagine basketball will add any amount of money that makes a difference. Just pour everything into football.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Poseidon wrote:

2017 RPI - 82
2018 RPI - 86
2019 RPI - 98

I say Winning>RPI. One thing that hurt was the state schools this year wer not as good as they have been. ULL sucking and not playing LSU probably dropped us 15-20 slots without having just two wins from them. We won more conference games. I know that the tourney is the goal, but somr winning is better than losing. I agree with most of the rest. Football can drive the other sports if it becomes very successful and it just doesn't work th other way around. Paying off Dunleavy bites. If basketball and football become healthy we can then throw more money at a new baseball coach.
So you’re in favor of dumbing down schedules, I can’t get on board with that. Whether you like RPI or not, it’s important.
ULL hasn’t been good since 2016

Why do football and basketball need to get healthy for us to get a new baseball coach? We’re going to be paying someone to coach baseball either way. His contract should be up soon, so a buyout shouldn’t be a problem after next season.
How good do the football and basketball teams need to be for us to make substantial money from them? I can’t imagine we’re anywhere close.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

visualmagic wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

2017 RPI - 82
2018 RPI - 86
2019 RPI - 98

So you’re in favor of dumbing down schedules, I can’t get on board with that. Whether you like RPI or not, it’s important.

Why do football and basketball need to get healthy for us to get a new baseball coach? We’re going to be paying someone to coach baseball either way. His contract should be up soon, so a buyout shouldn’t be a problem after next season.
How good do the football and basketball teams need to be for us to make substantial money from them? I can’t imagine we’re anywhere close.

I didn't mention dumbing down the schedule at any point. :| I simply stated that winning is more important than RPI. I would rather go 12-11 in conference with a 98 RPI than 9-15 with an 86 RPI. Are you for just showing up? All you have to do get a good RPI is just show up 1/3 games against top 50 opponents. Do you like leaving the ballpark after a weekend series with Ole Miss winning only one game better than winning a series against a 100-200 RPI opponent? I am for WINNING. IF we win a lot it will take care of RPI.

Why do football and basketball need to get healthy for us to get a new baseball coach? Never said this. I a simply stating that this isn't a ZERO sum game. IF we make more on football and basketball than we can spend more on baseball. "More" means a higher amount of funds than we currently can afford to give coaches or recruits. "More" doesn't mean we can't hire and fire anytime we want within our current budget.

I am beginning to loathe discussing baseball on this board. We all want to win and have a pretty RPI. Hurry up football.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Winning isn’t really more important than the RPI.
I enjoyed the Ole Miss series much more than I enjoyed the UC Riverside series. We competed at a high level against a good team in Ole Miss.
You’re theory that winning a lot will take care of the RPI is not accurate. There were more than a handful of teams with 40ish wins this year that were not even close to securing an at-large bid because of their RPI. Campbell went 49-10 a few years ago and didn’t get in.

I don’t think the problem is that we don’t offer a good salary for our baseball staff, I just think we whiffed on picking the right guy.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

visualmagic wrote:Winning isn’t really more important than the RPI.
I enjoyed the Ole Miss series much more than I enjoyed the UC Riverside series. We competed at a high level against a good team in Ole Miss.
You’re theory that winning a lot will take care of the RPI is not accurate. There were more than a handful of teams with 40ish wins this year that were not even close to securing an at-large bid because of their RPI. Campbell went 49-10 a few years ago and didn’t get in.

I don’t think the problem is that we don’t offer a good salary for our baseball staff, I just think we whiffed on picking the right guy.
Are you a Baseball first, fan? I am a tireless football fan, then a football fan, basketball fan, then closely following by baseball fan.

I guess my football fan origins cause me to thirst for wins on the scoreboard. I fully understand the importance of RPI as it relates to the post-season, but it gives me no real since of pride of accomplishment when compared to winning the game.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Poseidon, I think theres something to the wins vs rpi argument as far as differences in the sports go. Wins are the only measure that matters in football as far as making the postseason is concerned. Outside of making the playoffs, SOS really doesnt matter for postseason purposes. Meanwhile in baseball, SOS is almost everything as it hugely impacts RPI which is a primary path to the postseason. Neither view is wrong per se, it's just a structural difference in the sports.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Baseball is my favorite sport, yes.
I don’t really get any pride out of having a good RPI, but you sort of have to beat some good teams to have a good one. In 2018 we played a bunch good teams and didn’t beat them, it led to an RPI of 86.

But I also don’t feel much pride when the football team beats Nicholls St. I know we’re better than they are. Winning is the expectation, anything less is an embarrassment.
That’s how I feel when the baseball team gets a bunch of wins against Lamar, Houston Baptist, UC Riverside, etc.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Poseidon, I think theres something to the wins vs rpi argument as far as differences in the sports go. Wins are the only measure that matters in football as far as making the postseason is concerned. Outside of making the playoffs, SOS really doesnt matter for postseason purposes. Meanwhile in baseball, SOS is almost everything as it hugely impacts RPI which is a primary path to the postseason. Neither view is wrong per se, it's just a structural difference in the sports.
Boom.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Poseidon wrote:
visualmagic wrote:Winning isn’t really more important than the RPI.

Are you a Baseball first, fan? I am a tireless football fan, then a football fan, basketball fan, then closely following by baseball fan.

I guess my football fan origins cause me to thirst for wins on the scoreboard. I fully understand the importance of RPI as it relates to the post-season, but it gives me no real since of pride of accomplishment when compared to winning the game.
Everyone wants to win. There is that sense of accomplishment. Conroy kept his job by winning against substandard competition. Some would say Jewett did too. I don’t think so. Baseball has been put on the back burner and the hope is Jewett can turn it around. If we can hold on to some recruits, maybe we will. That is the best we can hope for going forward.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Dave, I respect you and all you do for Tulane. However, you mustn't have been at the game in Baton Rouge in '65 when LSU went for two after their last TD to make it to 62...again, for the 3rd time. That night on the way home, I swore to my parents that I would never pull for LSU again. I have kept that vow for over 50 years. No reason to change now.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Said another way - Tulane is up on lsu 60 to zip and has the ball on the lsu 23 yard line 4th down w/6 yds for the first and a minute left in the game. You going to kick the field goal ?? You better believe it.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Poseidon wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

2017 RPI - 82
2018 RPI - 86
2019 RPI - 98

I didn't mention dumbing down the schedule at any point. :| I simply stated that winning is more important than RPI. I would rather go 12-11 in conference with a 98 RPI than 9-15 with an 86 RPI. Are you for just showing up? All you have to do get a good RPI is just show up 1/3 games against top 50 opponents. Do you like leaving the ballpark after a weekend series with Ole Miss winning only one game better than winning a series against a 100-200 RPI opponent? I am for WINNING. IF we win a lot it will take care of RPI.

Why do football and basketball need to get healthy for us to get a new baseball coach? Never said this. I a simply stating that this isn't a ZERO sum game. IF we make more on football and basketball than we can spend more on baseball. "More" means a higher amount of funds than we currently can afford to give coaches or recruits. "More" doesn't mean we can't hire and fire anytime we want within our current budget.

I am beginning to loathe discussing baseball on this board. We all want to win and have a pretty RPI. Hurry up football.
More wins with a lower RPI means the schedule was dumbed down.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

ml wave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

2017 RPI - 82
2018 RPI - 86
2019 RPI - 98

More wins with a lower RPI means the schedule was dumbed down.
Weaker, not dumbed down. Dumbed down would be a Conroy schedule. Plus LSU getting off is not intentional dumbing down, nor is the fact other Louisiana schools had a down year. It certainly looks like more of bad luck as to how teams were this year as opposed to going soft.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy