Pelicans Won the Zion Lottery!

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Re: Pelicans Won the Zion Lottery!

Post by Poseidon »

ml wave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
ml wave wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:Thread jack - From the time he signed with LA last year, I thought Lebron made a huge mistake from a basketball perspective. He had a chance to go somewhere with young talent like Philly and put them over the top. He could have taken it easy during the regular season to focus on the playoffs, resting a body that has tons of miles on it. If he were to bring a title to Philly, which hasn't had an NBA title in forever, in addition to his titles in Miami and Cleveland, he could retire a beloved legend to three different fan bases.

Instead, he chose the glitz and glamour of LA which may fit his image and business interests better but is much further away from contending. And he just keeps getting older.
Ideal situation, basketball-wise, would have been for him to sign in New Orleans.
Ideal situation would have been for him to be healthy most of the time and/or recruit star and other free agent talent around him. In today's NBA that is a must have skill as well. Since he couldn't get anyone to play with him he will have to join them.
I meant for LeBron to sign here. Obviously was never going to happen, but would have been perfect fit for both sides.
Yeah.

I just think AD's complaints about lack of help or management failing him is wrong and he needs to look in the mirror and realize his failure to recruit others stars to join him is the real failing. Players build super teams. That is the reality.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

ml wave wrote:On the bright side, if AD doesn't make his trade demand when he does, not only do the Pels not get Zion, they probably also trade their pick in another attempt to mortgage the future to make the playoffs.
Excellent, excellent point.
Bring home da Wave!
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Is there smoke or is this pure "we have to write something" speculation?

Zion Williamson still has options if he doesn’t want to play for the Pelicans
Victory is never permanent
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Speculation. No way he turns down all the money he is guaranteed as first pick to risk injury and add a year to his body back in college.
Last edited by tulaneoutlaw on Thu May 16, 2019 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

OGSB wrote:Is there smoke or is this pure "we have to write something" speculation?

Pure speculation. Returning to Duke would be risking hundreds of millions of dollars (shoe contract) to injury. Also, Zion's dad was on local radio this morning talking about coming here and everything. If there was any thought of not coming here, he could have easily just not agreed to the interview.

edited to add: step-father, apparently
Last edited by ml wave on Thu May 16, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

OGSB wrote:Is there smoke or is this pure "we have to write something" speculation?

I think it is something to think about. However I think the NY-LA loving National media is projecting their fantasy on Zion. An argument can be made that having big stars in smaller markets is what makes the smaller markets more valuable.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

from ESPN dot com: Anderson was asked if Williamson's decision not to sign with an agent or ink a shoe deal meant that the family was leaving open the possibility of a return to school.

"We just feel that there's no real rush to do this right now," he told the radio show. "You don't get many opportunities in life to have the leverage and the opportunity to control your own narrative, so therefore we feel like we are in position right now to do that, and we just want to make sure when we do whatever it is that we do, it's the right decision. ... We just want to make sure we do it right."

Awww.. isn't that cute.. his stepdad is keeping with the lie that Zion doesn't already have both an agent and shoe deal in place.. he has since before he signed with Duke
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Bring home da Wave!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

And now New Orleans lost the "not having to deal with obnoxious media whore dads" lottery...

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/269 ... cans-davis

So, um, happy Father's day? :lol:

I kid, though. Three players AND a bunch of first round picks including this year's number four overall? Wow.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Booooooo
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

PeteRasche wrote:And now New Orleans lost the "not having to deal with obnoxious media whore dads" lottery...

I kid, though. Three players AND a bunch of first round picks including this year's number four overall? Wow.
Hey I like the deal....team is young & can grow together like Warriors did....
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

BACONWAVE wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:And now New Orleans lost the "not having to deal with obnoxious media whore dads" lottery...

Hey I like the deal....team is young & can grow together like Warriors did....
I do, too. The Pelicans have to draft a contender. This helps them do that. The worst thing they could do is try to build too fast.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

Between the Pels and the Wave, New Orleans is now the capital of basketball roster turnover!
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

We have to see what the Pels do from here but WOW!. Lebron is in his mid-thirties and basically Pels made them pay to be able to win now.

Yeah if I were Zion, I would be excited to be a Pel. It's not quite like Alcindor and the Bucks way back when but if the Pels keep executing, it has potential to be. Is the Big O available to round out the roster? :green wink:
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

As we all could have easily predicted, Dad didn't wait long:

https://nypost.com/2019/06/15/lavar-bal ... ing-lonzo/

Since the Giants put all the Alou brothers in the same outfield, I safely predict in 2030, the three Ball brothers will be starting for the Warriors and Dad will be the studio analyst.

I don't even think TG could succeed as PBP in that environment. :mrgreen:

Let's just say he'll do well with the Pels as long he has only has one Ball to juggle. :mrgreen:
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I didn't even think about Graf having to deal with Ball... Ugh, now I feel bad for Graf. One not-so-nice word on a broadcast and Graf will end up in a viral Twitter feud with daddy Ball! 8) (and next thing you know, someone will play Graf on SNL)
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:I didn't even think about Graf having to deal with Ball... Ugh, now I feel bad for Graf. One not-so-nice word on a broadcast and Graf will end up in a viral Twitter feud with daddy Ball! 8) (and next thing you know, someone will play Graf on SNL)
One not-so-nice word about any of the players on the broadcast and he'd probably be out of a job...these positions have become glorified PR.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:I didn't even think about Graf having to deal with Ball... Ugh, now I feel bad for Graf. One not-so-nice word on a broadcast and Graf will end up in a viral Twitter feud with daddy Ball! 8) (and next thing you know, someone will play Graf on SNL)
One not-so-nice word about any of the players on the broadcast and he'd probably be out of a job...these positions have become glorified PR.
Then Graf better work on not wearing his passion on his sleeve quite as much ...
And I fully admit I've never once listened to an NBA game on the radio.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Then Graf better work on not wearing his passion on his sleeve quite as much ...
Agreed
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
I had a chance to listen when 'Hot Rod' Hunley was the broadcaster for the New Orleans Jazz; his calls of "Pete from the Parking lot" were great, and he certainly had more than a little home preference. I think that Graf will bring some of that descriptive ability that fits well with New Orleans. Hope he comes by and visits some when he is not on the road with the Pels.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/269 ... s-ad-trade

Excellent piece about how the Pels essentially can't lose in this deal and it virtually fell perfectly after the failed attempt by Magic to extort Demps. In comes Griffin and now a pro made a pro's deal.

The Lakers might win 1-2 championships while LeBron has anything left, but they still literally need to fill in bodies around them and then all but assured post-LeBron will be a disaster.
Bring home da Wave!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

doncecco wrote:The Lakers might win 1-2 championships while LeBron has anything left, but they still literally need to fill in bodies around them and then all but assured post-LeBron will be a disaster.
The past is littered, in all sports, with teams who sold out for a title or two, knowing full well they'd be trash afterwards. Heck, remember the Florida Marlins of the 90s and early 00s? World title, suck for a bunch of years, world title, suck for a bunch of years... And for as horrid as they were most years, came out of it all with more rings than the dominant Bobby Cox-era Braves.

I'm sure they feel it's worth it.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

PeteRasche wrote:
doncecco wrote:The Lakers might win 1-2 championships while LeBron has anything left, but they still literally need to fill in bodies around them and then all but assured post-LeBron will be a disaster.
The past is littered, in all sports, with teams who sold out for a title or two, knowing full well they'd be trash afterwards. Heck, remember the Florida Marlins of the 90s and early 00s? World title, suck for a bunch of years, world title, suck for a bunch of years... And for as horrid as they were most years, came out of it all with more rings than the dominant Bobby Cox-era Braves.

I'm sure they feel it's worth it.
It's the age old debate (other than for the Patriots). Do you want your team to be consistently good and relevant or do you want the title at all costs. That has been exactly the topic with the Saints lately, and I for one, will shamelessly admit that another ring is worth mortgaging the future.

That being said, it has been fun for the Saints to be mostly good the past 13 years, so I may have a different opinion in a couple years after Drew retires and the bill comes due.
Bring home da Wave!