Bonnett Carre to open -

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
MattK
President's Circle

Re: Bonnett Carre to open -

Post by MattK »

TU77CAL82 wrote:
sr wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:I've seen photos from New Orleans peeps on FB showing the incredible CBD flooding today. One guy posted a video of a dude swimming on Canal St
My dang basement flooded . . . again. Happened on Mother's Day too.
You don't live on Palmer, do you?
+++
East Bank river levee heights -
https://twitter.com/nolacampanella/stat ... 01568?s=20
Broadmoor. I wouldn't care that much, but we just got a new washing machine down there.
same here. well, the earlier one stopped short of my garage. but something has changed with the drainage system for these last 2 downpours. (or, the city/SWB is lying and didn't really have the pumps running)
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

Not saying the pumping system doesn’t have problems, but nearly 9 inches in three hours?
What system can handle that load?
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

BC Wave wrote:Not saying the pumping system doesn’t have problems, but nearly 9 inches in three hours?
What system can handle that load?
Houston would still be under water ...
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

The May 3rd flood occurred the day before my Organic chemistry final. I watched 9 inches fall from the 9th floor of Monroe Hall. The water on Willow st was nearly thigh deep; the wake as the jet rolled by on Freret was amazing.

It stopped raining about 11:30, by 4 pm the roads were completely clear, passable Compared to other cities, the pumps do a fairly good job, if given the time.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Had one in the summer of 1991 that started around 4 pm and only lasted until about 7 pm but was waist deep on Willow Street. I never heard of saw stats.

Then had this :
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_199 ... iana_flood
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

my wife had the Today show on this morning and of course the completely incompetent and unqualified yokel they have reading the weather (Al Roker) was predicting doom and gloom, death and destruction for New Orleans.. "levees will be overtopped!!"

Yeah, there should be concern, but he was putting the "you need to watch us or die!!!" tone on his prediction
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

The UK Model has the storm heading further West, but no one is mentioning it.

Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

sr wrote:The UK Model has the storm heading further West, but no one is mentioning it.

from what I understand, the EURO model is usually the most accurate
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

PeteRasche wrote:Had one in the summer of 1991 that started around 4 pm and only lasted until about 7 pm but was waist deep on Willow Street. I never heard of saw stats.

Then had this :
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_199 ... iana_flood
I was in the Corps of Engineers Emergency Operations Center in Washington, DC, that night. We were in the middle of a huge joint exercise with FEMA, the Red Cross, The Weather Channel, CNN, and the States of Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Texas, and Alabama. For realism, The Weather Channel and CNN had prepared simulated weather reports and coverage of the simulated event, which was predicated on rainfall of 18" in 24 hours, flooding New Orleans on a huge scale. That's what was being piped into the Emergency Ops centers of all participants.

Early in the morning, we began getting confused reports about damage occurring, since the real event was very closely paralleling the simulation. We were getting requests for emergency generators in multiple places, and could not tell which ones were "real" and which ones were "drill." It took a couple of hours to get it all sorted out, but it was absolute chaos in the meantime. I was glad that I wasn't the one who had to call the Chief of Engineers at 3:00 and drag him out of bed (that duty fell to the Army Major who mas my deputy).

In real life, New Orleans got nearly twice as much rain, in half the time, as was supposedly going to "wash New Orleans away" in the simulation. Needless to say, New Orleans is tougher than that.
(Or, as Mike West sang, "New Orleans has sunk. But she went down singing and she went down drunk.")