AAC Bowls 2020-2025

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

AAC Bowls 2020-2025

Post by TU77CAL82 »

American Athletic Conference Bowl Lineup (2020-25)
Annual Appearances
Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman (Annapolis, Maryland)
Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl (Fort Worth, Texas)/SoFi Hawaii Bowl (Honolulu, Hawaii) – alternating years
Bowl game to be named – (Boston, Massachusetts)

Four Selections Annually From the Following
Birmingham Bowl (Birmingham, Alabama)
Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl (Tampa, Florida)
SERVPRO First Responder Bowl (Dallas, Texas)
Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl (Boca Raton, Florida)
Frisco Bowl (Frisco, Texas)
AutoNation Cure Bowl (Orlando, Florida)
Myrtle Beach Bowl (Myrtle Beach, South Carolina)
New Mexico Bowl (Albuquerque, New Mexico)

Doesn't get me excited. I think we need to plan on going to a NY6 Bowl.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Re: AAC Bowls 2020-2025

Post by Poseidon »

TU77CAL82 wrote:American Athletic Conference Bowl Lineup (2020-25)
Annual Appearances
Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman (Annapolis, Maryland)
Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl (Fort Worth, Texas)/SoFi Hawaii Bowl (Honolulu, Hawaii) – alternating years
Bowl game to be named – (Boston, Massachusetts)

Birmingham Bowl (Birmingham, Alabama)
Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl (Tampa, Florida)
SERVPRO First Responder Bowl (Dallas, Texas)
Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl (Boca Raton, Florida)
Frisco Bowl (Frisco, Texas)
AutoNation Cure Bowl (Orlando, Florida)
Myrtle Beach Bowl (Myrtle Beach, South Carolina)
New Mexico Bowl (Albuquerque, New Mexico)

Doesn't get me excited. I think we need to plan on going to a NY6 Bowl.
We know that the SEC etc. have a stranglehold on the old bowls. The one's listed are pretty much all in decent cities and on ESPN. If the only thing that gets you excited is a NY6 bowl then prepare to be disappointed. You do understand that there is only one spot in the NY6 for G5 teams. We can be a very successful program and not make it to one or make only one in 10 years. Hell you can be 80% of P5 teams and not make one.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

Based strictly on travel destinations and perceived level of hospitality host city/stadium will provide, here are my opinions:

Annual Appearances
Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman (Annapolis, Maryland) - could be fun
Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl (Fort Worth, Texas) — might be ok
SoFi Hawaii Bowl (Honolulu, Hawaii) – very nice but too far/expensive for our average fan
Bowl game to be named – (Boston, Massachusetts) — Boston in December?!?

Birmingham Bowl (Birmingham, Alabama) — heart of Bama? I don’t know. Not excited but could be worse.
Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl (Tampa, Florida) — Good climate
SERVPRO First Responder Bowl (Dallas, Texas) — same as Fort Worth
Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl (Boca Raton, Florida) — close to a Beach!
Frisco Bowl (Frisco, Texas) uh, no thanks
AutoNation Cure Bowl (Orlando, Florida) — they were a great host
Myrtle Beach Bowl (Myrtle Beach, South Carolina) - could be fun
New Mexico Bowl (Albuquerque, New Mexico) — I would like it

There you have it - the final word on which bowls are Wave worthy :)

Doesn't get me excited. I think we need to plan on going to a NY6 Bowl.[/quote]
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

I'll play BC's Game. I'll rate the "I want to go" from 1 to 10. "I can go easily" A-F.

Annual Appearances
Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman (Annapolis, Maryland) 7 - C
Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl 6-B (Fort Worth, Texas)/SoFi Hawaii Bowl 9-F(Honolulu, Hawaii) – alternating years
Bowl game to be named – 7-C(Boston, Massachusetts) A good one time trip.

Birmingham Bowl 7-B(Birmingham, Alabama) B-ham isn't a destination, but its' an easy trip from NOLA and will be vs an SEC team(praying for LSU).
Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl 7-B(Tampa, Florida) Tampa is fun unless we alreday played at USF that year.
SERVPRO First Responder Bowl 7-B(Dallas, Texas) Dallas is a city with plenty to do and easy flight from NOLA or anywhere else really.
Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl 6-C(Boca Raton, Florida) for those looking to warm up
Frisco Bowl 7-B(Frisco, Texas) Basically Dallas
AutoNation Cure Bowl 8-B(Orlando, Florida) Disney is always fun
Myrtle Beach Bowl 4-D(Myrtle Beach, South Carolina) I doubt we end up here much if at all. This looks like a bowl that was made for ECU, UCF, USF and the possible the rest of the eastern teams
New Mexico Bowl 6-C(Albuquerque, New Mexico) Since we are in the western half of the conference this could be a possibility. Albuquerque and surrounding areas are actually a nice place to visit during winter.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

On another matter at the AAC Media Days, Aresco says that the plan at this point is to stay at 11, get a waiver to allow no divisions and the top 2 teams playing for the conference championship. Each team would have two permanent opponents and would rotate the other 8 teams.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

TU77CAL82 wrote:On another matter at the AAC Media Days, Aresco says that the plan at this point is to stay at 11, get a waiver to allow no divisions and the top 2 teams playing for the conference championship. Each team would have two permanent opponents and would rotate the other 8 teams.
I think the plan is as follows.

1. Seek wavier.

if approved then 2. Get a basketball only like VCU. Court BYU or Air Force at the AAC's leisure.

if denied then 2. Find a replacement ASAP. first trying VCU/BYU combo if that doesn't work then an ALL-SPORTS replacement.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

TU77CAL82 wrote:Each team would have two permanent opponents and would rotate the other 8 teams.
If this comes to pass, who would you like to be our permanent two?

For me, looking at relative proximity and potential for the future, I’d go with Houston and Memphis, with SMU as a backup.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

TUPF wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:Each team would have two permanent opponents and would rotate the other 8 teams.
If this comes to pass, who would you like to be our permanent two?

For me, looking at relative proximity and potential for the future, I’d go with Houston and Memphis, with SMU as a backup.
Houston and Memphis for sure. SMU might be my last choice.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Poseidon wrote:I'll play BC's Game. I'll rate the "I want to go" from 1 to 10. "I can go easily" A-F.

Annual Appearances
Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman (Annapolis, Maryland) 7 - C
Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl 6-B (Fort Worth, Texas)/SoFi Hawaii Bowl 9-F(Honolulu, Hawaii) – alternating years
Bowl game to be named – 7-C(Boston, Massachusetts) A good one time trip.

Birmingham Bowl 7-B(Birmingham, Alabama) B-ham isn't a destination, but its' an easy trip from NOLA and will be vs an SEC team(praying for LSU).
Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl 7-B(Tampa, Florida) Tampa is fun unless we alreday played at USF that year.
SERVPRO First Responder Bowl 7-B(Dallas, Texas) Dallas is a city with plenty to do and easy flight from NOLA or anywhere else really.
Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl 6-C(Boca Raton, Florida) for those looking to warm up
Frisco Bowl 7-B(Frisco, Texas) Basically Dallas
AutoNation Cure Bowl 8-B(Orlando, Florida) Disney is always fun
Myrtle Beach Bowl 4-D(Myrtle Beach, South Carolina) I doubt we end up here much if at all. This looks like a bowl that was made for ECU, UCF, USF and the possible the rest of the eastern teams
New Mexico Bowl 6-C(Albuquerque, New Mexico) Since we are in the western half of the conference this could be a possibility. Albuquerque and surrounding areas are actually a nice place to visit during winter.
Loving the decision to do both 1-10 and A-F scales, but not as much as I love the complete inconsistency between the two!
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

As concerns football "permanents," I'm casting my vote for Navy and now I'm ducking before the debris starts flying.

Meanwhile I'm cool with UH and UM. But I bet we end up with Navy or Temple to have a regular NE game for East Coast alums.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

One from SMU/Navy, one from Houston/Memphis.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote:As concerns football "permanents," I'm casting my vote for Navy and now I'm ducking before the debris starts flying.

Meanwhile I'm cool with UH and UM. But I bet we end up with Navy or Temple to have a regular NE game for East Coast alums.
Assuming the schools get some say in who the permanent opponents are, why would Temple pick us?
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:As concerns football "permanents," I'm casting my vote for Navy and now I'm ducking before the debris starts flying.

Assuming the schools get some say in who the permanent opponents are, why would Temple pick us?
Because they don't want to go to Greenville? :mrgreen:

I guess because of proximity, Temple would choose Navy. No guess as to who else. A Florida school or UC? But ECU is closest to Philly after Navy.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Navy and Memphis have the most interest for me. Houston or Smu make sense from a recruiting Texas standpoint.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

long green wrote:One from SMU/Navy, one from Houston/Memphis.

This

Perfect
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Does anyone know what happened to the NOLA bowl? It was announced 2-4 years back (timing is blurry in my mind) that in about five years (from then) it would be tied to the AAC. At the time, we all talked/worried about how we needed to make a bowl before that because then they'd start locking us into that bowl every year (aka Boise and the Humanitarian Bowl). But it doesn't seem to have any AAC affiliation moving forward. But I never saw a press release. When/how did it change? I'm not sad, just curious.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16