Beat dead horse here...

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: Beat dead horse here...

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

*sigh* Here we go again. :roll: Again, literally all these arguments were hashed out here:

http://yogwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52312&hilit=fiu

I'm not trying to quash debate, but people disagreed then about Thursday openers then and nobody changed their minds. Can we please just let this die?
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Rotorooter wrote:You are not a Tulane fan if you cannot distinguish between an NFL PRESEASON game and a live--it counts--Tulane game. If you cannot bring your family, just YOU come then. I think FW is right, so is 1401973. BTW, you DO get two extra days to practice, on the front end. Forget the hours--you get an early start on the season and your players can "voluntarily" show up to work on passing drills and such outside of the practice times. Not to mention two extra days to scout and gameplan for Auburn.

If for no other reason, the Tulane game will show off a new, promising young OC who will largely determine our fate for 2019. If that doesn't get you to the game, then you are just a casual fan.
You don't get two extra days to practice at the beginning of camp because of this. Yes you start two day earlier but then you play two days earlier and then have to take time off. Then we don't get two extra days of practice after the first game with the coaches.
We deserve so much better
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

with pretty much the same people getting worked up. I agree with you outlaw
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

wavedom wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:You are not a Tulane fan if you cannot distinguish between an NFL PRESEASON game and a live--it counts--Tulane game. If you cannot bring your family, just YOU come then. I think FW is right, so is 1401973. BTW, you DO get two extra days to practice, on the front end. Forget the hours--you get an early start on the season and your players can "voluntarily" show up to work on passing drills and such outside of the practice times. Not to mention two extra days to scout and gameplan for Auburn.

If for no other reason, the Tulane game will show off a new, promising young OC who will largely determine our fate for 2019. If that doesn't get you to the game, then you are just a casual fan.
You don't get two extra days to practice at the beginning of camp because of this. Yes you start two day earlier but then you play two days earlier and then have to take time off. Then we don't get two extra days of practice after the first game with the coaches.
So we get two extra days to scout Auburn. I'll take that. All the gnashing of teeth over an NFL PRESEASON game is pointless.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

I hadn't thought of it before, but the Saints are playing against Miami and we are playing a team from Miami as well.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

:dots:
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

I mean, if you really think everyone is sitting around watching reruns of Seinfeld in the extra time between FIU and Auburn because of NCAA rules :?
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Sophandros »

I feel like this thread should actually be a discussion of Robert Louis Stevenson.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

Will Lindsey Scott be at the game in his LSU/Harvard/Tulane/Syracuse/Tulane/Missouri/Tulane/Kansas/college football jersey?

You can’t have a Beat a Dead Horse thread without a Scott mention.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

FW wrote:I mean, if you really think everyone is sitting around watching reruns of Seinfeld in the extra time between FIU and Auburn because of NCAA rules :?
No one said that. But NCAA rules will not allow us two extra days of practice with the coaches on the field. I was simply clarifying that.
We deserve so much better
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Sophandros wrote:I feel like this thread should actually be a discussion of Robert Louis Stevenson.
I tried so hard to thread jack it to that. Glad you picked up the black spot reference
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Sophandros wrote:I feel like this thread should actually be a discussion of Robert Louis Stevenson.
I tried so hard to thread jack it to that. Glad you picked up the black spot reference
I just went straight here:
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

gerryb323 wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
I just went straight here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ILcZj61QiI
Which of course led to this:

You're all very welcome
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Gerry wins the weekend. Muppet Treasure Island's Cabin fever is always the correct answer
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

I’ll be there. Had to change a fantasy football draft scheduled that day.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

I assume everyone on this board will be there. I ended up even talking a friend into going. I
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Poseidon wrote:I assume everyone on this board will be there.
Not everyone on this board lives near New Orleans, friend.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Has no one yet mentioned that the last thread covering this topic featured at least one post saying "haven't we had this topic already?"

I mean no disrespect to Poseidon, one of our better posters.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

In this case, it's all about the students. Holding this game on the pre-Labor Day Thursday evening will guarantee by far the largest student turnout at both the game and tailgate. Dannen is just trying to develop frosh fans early. Reportedly band is doing well also but I have no direct info on that. We'll see.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
Poseidon wrote:I assume everyone on this board will be there.
Not everyone on this board lives near New Orleans, friend.
Sometimes I think some forget that everyone on this board doesnt live in the city. I meant those who live in the city. I don't I'm north of baton rouge. I wont be home until 1 am most likely.

Only this what live in Louisiana are required to be there . You were required to be at OSU game and the Cincinnati game. Your did your job.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

long green wrote:Has no one yet mentioned that the last thread covering this topic featured at least one post saying "haven't we had this topic already?"

I mean no disrespect to Poseidon, one of our better posters.
Sounds about right. I have very few actual complaints about Tulane football. Going to the games and bringing my family or friends means a lot to me. I have had to make the trek alone far too many times since my father passed. Thursdays are very hard on out of towners with kids. If we play them I want real justification like we are on ESPN or something like. I'll leave it at that. If any one thinks this thread unsufferable I'll buy you a beer if you can catch up to me at a game.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote:In this case, it's all about the students. Holding this game on the pre-Labor Day Thursday evening will guarantee by far the largest student turnout at both the game and tailgate. Dannen is just trying to develop frosh fans early. Reportedly band is doing well also but I have no direct info on that. We'll see.
If we're making decisions about when to schedule our games with developing freshman students as fans as the priority as opposed to asking the head coach for his preference, we'd be the only school in the country doing so.
Wavefan
Coach Level

Unread post by Wavefan »

It would not matter what day of the week or time of the day is picked for a game - there will be complaints. What we need is to win enough so that Tulane fans will fill the stadium. Regardless. Period. We need to have enough fans who ALWAYS make attending a Tulane home game a priority over any NFL game, or other college game, or anything short of an emergency room visit. If the game is on a weekday evening, or kicks off at 11 a.m. or 8:30 p.m., a true fan will plan other things around the game, not vice-versa.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Wavefan wrote:It would not matter what day of the week or time of the day is picked for a game - there will be complaints. What we need is to win enough so that Tulane fans will fill the stadium. Regardless. Period. We need to have enough fans who ALWAYS make attending a Tulane home game a priority over any NFL game, or other college game, or anything short of an emergency room visit. If the game is on a weekday evening, or kicks off at 11 a.m. or 8:30 p.m., a true fan will plan other things around the game, not vice-versa.
:king:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:In this case, it's all about the students. Holding this game on the pre-Labor Day Thursday evening will guarantee by far the largest student turnout at both the game and tailgate. Dannen is just trying to develop frosh fans early. Reportedly band is doing well also but I have no direct info on that. We'll see.
If we're making decisions about when to schedule our games with developing freshman students as fans as the priority as opposed to asking the head coach for his preference, we'd be the only school in the country doing so.
It's a factor. Certainly not the deciding one but it still matters. As you regularly advise others, just do a simple google search and you will find reams of articles about SEC teams on down to lowly Tulane trying to figure out how to improve student attendance.

If this game were on Saturday of Labor Day weekend, it would draw 2000+ fewer students. That's not an exaggeration. When Tulane stuggles to put 10,000+ butts in the seats for many games in Yulman, those are numbers that matter (even if the students only stay for the first half.)

I'm sure Fritz wants the extra two days to prepare for Auburn. He also wants every edge from a home crowd against a good CUSA team that could easily upset Tulane. He may not get a great overall actual turnout on Thursday. He would definitely get a much worse one Saturday considering we'll have 5000+ season ticket holders miss the game for all the reasons noted above regardless of the date it's held.