Anyone want to talk about FIU?

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
FW
Cornerstone

Anyone want to talk about FIU?

Unread post by FW »

Article about them opening camp

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/coll ... 07222.html

Link to their page with the Miami Herald

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/coll ... niversity/
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Re: Anyone want to talk about FIU?

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

they won't be a pushover, they're supposed to contend for their conference championship this year.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

I thought we were waiting for game week.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Unread post by RI WAVE »

why not start a bit early ? Been waiting all summer for the season to begin - can't we fudge on the first week prep?

how does our projected d line stack up against their projected o line ?
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

We’re going against some of our bad history here. The last time we beat a major college team in a season opener at home was 1997. Remember, that’s a season opener at home, not just a home opener.

FIU is plenty good enough to beat us but they don’t worry me. Tulane worries me. Play our best game and we’ll be fine. FIU last year did not have bad letdowns. Yeah, they got blown out by FAU but FAU is just as good as them.

FIU got two pieces of luck last year. First, Middle Tennessee’s good QB got hurt at the start of the second quarter in what turned into a close FIU win. Second, they drew two bad, punchless teams from CUSA West. The bottom of the West in that league was much worse than the bottom of the East. FAU, for example, drew two bowl teams from the West. I don’t think FIU was quite as good as their 2018 record.

I certainly don’t want to sound like I’m taking them lightly. They didn’t have any peak performances like our win over Memphis but they didn’t have any real clunkers as I said above. Soundness and experience and a veteran staff add up to a tough opener.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

I was at the game in Miami 2 seasons ago... we came out listless and Banks couldn't do anything right. Their top WR used Parry Nickerson like a roll of Charmin the whole game. We couldn't stop the run once Eldrick Washington got hurt.. as a matter of fact, his injury ended the night for us. Defensively, we couldn't come up with the big stop after that. We had a hobbled Aruna playing inside and could mount ZERO pressure. Offensively, Banks kept making bad decisions at the worst possible times. We are LIGHT YEARS improved from that game.. in every facet. Depth, skill, QB play, offensive philosophy. Our D line will manhandle whomever they put up against us, both inside and out. I worry a bit about our secondary, however their QB should be uncomfortable the whole game and won't have time to pick anyone apart.

That being said, while I am not taking FIU lightly, if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot, there is potential to blow them off the field. And again, I am basing this on how much better we are from 2 years ago.. and I am considering FIU to be roughly the same as they were at that time.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Along the same lines of LG how we play will make the difference. You reference that Cincinnati game in '97. It took a little bit for the offense to get going in that one. I think this one may play out the same way or at least I hope it will. We need to execute on offense. That will determine the outcome. The good thing is if anyone has the ability to learn a new offense it's JM. We are in a better position at that position now than last year. So I feel good.

As far as FIU goes they seem solid, but aren't intimidating at any particular position group. They have a new DC this year so that side will be interesting for them as well.

As for last year, our records were the same second half of last season.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Wave Revival
Navigator Level

Unread post by Wave Revival »

I heavily criticized Coach Fritz on social media two years ago after our listless performance against FIU. I said that Butch Davis outcoached and schooled Fritz. Our passing attack was so inept and I said you can’t win against good competition if you can’t throw the ball. This year our quarterback is much better, our offensive coordinator should be much better. Our defensive front seven is better. My only concern is our secondary and Tulane having a letdown in the opener. I expect this team to be too
mature to stink up the season opener.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

RI WAVE wrote:why not start a bit early ? Been waiting all summer for the season to begin - can't we fudge on the first week prep?

I was going to wait until game week to look at them in depth with my Phil Steele magazine but maybe I’ll start pulling some comparisons together sooner.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

waverider wrote:
RI WAVE wrote:why not start a bit early ? Been waiting all summer for the season to begin - can't we fudge on the first week prep?

I was going to wait until game week to look at them in depth with my Phil Steele magazine but maybe I’ll start pulling some comparisons together sooner.
I think Phil Steele has regressed a bit in the last 5-10 years. I have still bought the mag more often that not because it generally has the most info, but his prognostications haven't been what they once were. Honestly I think all the sports mags are generally worse at predicting. I suspect that is largely because every year the coaches share less and less information.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

My fear is the secondary (as others have said). FIU is the kind of team that will have super-athletic, fast, likely tall, WRs. It seems like when we play teams like that, we will dominate them 4 out of every 5 possessions, but in the fifth one they'll just chuck up a bomb and their receiver will burn us for a TD. And every time it seems like we are taking a lead, or catching up, they connect again, and we end up losing just from them out-athleticizing our CBs and safeties. It's the kind of game where Patrick Johnson will have 7 sacks and practically live in the backfield yet they'll score 35 points on 5 possessions which each included a long-bomb completion (either a TD or down to inside the 10 from which they'd score).

I hope things have changed but I've seen that waaaaaaay too many times with Tulane in this kind of game.
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

PeteRasche wrote:My fear is the secondary (as others have said). FIU is the kind of team that will have super-athletic, fast, likely tall, WRs. It seems like when we play teams like that, we will dominate them 4 out of every 5 possessions, but in the fifth one they'll just chuck up a bomb and their receiver will burn us for a TD. And every time it seems like we are taking a lead, or catching up, they connect again, and we end up losing just from them out-athleticizing our CBs and safeties. It's the kind of game where Patrick Johnson will have 7 sacks and practically live in the backfield yet they'll score 35 points on 5 possessions which each included a long-bomb completion (either a TD or down to inside the 10 from which they'd score).

I hope things have changed but I've seen that waaaaaaay too many times with Tulane in this kind of game.
Height, they do not have

Their leading returning WR, Alexander (30 catches) is 5-11
They have a 5-10 returning WR, Singleton, who caught 29 passes last year
They have a 5-9 returning WR, Gaiter IV, who caught 24 passes last year (his dad played for Miami in the 90s)
They have a 5-11 returning WR, Thornton, who caught 7 passes last year
They have a 5-10 returning WR, Scott, who caught 9 passes last year
They have a 5-10 returning WR, Philon, who didn't catch a pass last year
They have a 6-3 returning WR, Gaskins, who caught 3 passes last year
They have a 5-10 returning WR, Williams who didn't catch a pass last year
They have a 6-1 freshman
They have a 6-0 freshman
They have a 5-11 freshman
They have a 6-0 freshman
They have a 6-2 transfer from Georgia, who caught 24 passes last year, but he was only at UGA for 2 years, so I don't think he's a grad transfer.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

FW wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:My fear is the secondary (as others have said). FIU is the kind of team that will have super-athletic, fast, likely tall, WRs. It seems like when we play teams like that, we will dominate them 4 out of every 5 possessions, but in the fifth one they'll just chuck up a bomb and their receiver will burn us for a TD. And every time it seems like we are taking a lead, or catching up, they connect again, and we end up losing just from them out-athleticizing our CBs and safeties. It's the kind of game where Patrick Johnson will have 7 sacks and practically live in the backfield yet they'll score 35 points on 5 possessions which each included a long-bomb completion (either a TD or down to inside the 10 from which they'd score).

Height, they do not have

They have a 5-9 returning WR, Gaiter IV, who caught 24 passes last year (his dad played for Miami in the 90s)
They have a 6-1 freshman
They have a 6-0 freshman
They have a 6-0 freshman
They have a 6-2 transfer from Georgia, who caught 24 passes last year, but he was only at UGA for 2 years, so I don't think he's a grad transfer.
Well, um, good... But they still might run away from us, burn us in botched coverage, or just outmuscle us. May we have finally turned a page on those days.
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Unread post by Wandering Quaker »

Without their DJ, FIU is maybe just a shade better than UAB was last year. And I don't think this year's Wave would struggle against a team of that quality.

It might be the pain meds thinking for me, but I am not concerned.
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

Wandering Quaker wrote:Without their DJ, FIU is maybe just a shade better than UAB was last year. And I don't think this year's Wave would struggle against a team of that quality.

We beat UAB with a different QB. Banks was 7-24 and ran for 13 yards.
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

PeteRasche wrote:
FW wrote:

Height, they do not have

They have a 6-1 freshman
They have a 6-0 freshman
They have a 6-0 freshman
Well, um, good... But they still might run away from us, burn us in botched coverage, or just outmuscle us. May we have finally turned a page on those days.
Of course. I'm sure they're fast. Most South Florida guys are. I was just pointing out that they're not tall (they're actually pretty small for WRs).
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Unread post by RI WAVE »

Pete, you have hit the nail on the head on my concerns. I think we did not have the push up front in the past, so more pressure on DBs. But they gambled way too often and lost on some critical long plays. My biggest fear is that we have not fully matured at that position. Hopefully added push up front gives DBs a chance to improve their game.

Anyone have any insight on defensive backfield improvements this year?
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

FW wrote:
Wandering Quaker wrote:Without their DJ, FIU is maybe just a shade better than UAB was last year. And I don't think this year's Wave would struggle against a team of that quality.

had 2 fumbles lost as well if I am not mistaken
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

RI WAVE wrote:

Pete, you have hit the nail on the head on my concerns. I think we did not have the push up front in the past, so more pressure on DBs. But they gambled way too often and lost on some critical long plays. My biggest fear is that we have not fully matured at that position. Hopefully added push up front gives DBs a chance to improve their game.

Anyone have any insight on defensive backfield improvements this year?
The problem we've had with this regime on defense has been that we sometimes just leave someone uncovered and the other team gets a long uncontested TD. Hoping the staff finally has it figured out.
We deserve so much better
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Johnny Mac wrote:
FW wrote:

Wasn't one of them returned for a touchdown right before halftime?
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Coach Level

Unread post by 1401973 »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
FW wrote:

I think he threw for 36 yards, 1fumble, 1 int. Don’t remember if there was a return, but I think this was a good example of “hero ball”.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

1401973 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
FW wrote:

I think he threw for 36 yards, 1fumble, 1 int. Don’t remember if there was a return, but I think this was a good example of “hero ball”.
Just looked it up; 7-24 passing, one pick, two fumbles with one returned for a TD
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Yankeewave »

According to CFN they return alot on defense and are good against run but no pass rush. Their offense is just average.

Im pretty excited to see our D Line in action
Coach Level

Unread post by 1401973 »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:[quote="<a href="tel:1401973">1401973</a>"]
Johnny Mac wrote:
FW wrote:

Just looked it up; 7-24 passing, one pick, two fumbles with one returned for a TD[/quote]

QB rating of 9. Ugh.
Coach Level

Unread post by 1401973 »

Yankeewave wrote:According to CFN they return alot on defense and are good against run but no pass rush. Their offense is just average.

Im pretty excited to see our D Line in action
Me too. Should look very similar to last year: will physically match up with every o/line we face (yes I’m including the might Auburn Plainsmen), plus active, athletic, disruptive DEs/joker.