Defense dominates Tulane scrimmage...

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Re: Defense dominates Tulane scrimmage...

Post by tjtlja »

We are going to be very good on the defensive side of the ball. It would be nice to see the offense have a big day against them in one of the upcoming scrimmages to build some confidence in this new scheme.

One thing that is concerning is the repeated pressure being applied by Johnson and Sample. Great for those guys, but not so much for Johnson and Claybrook. Also, wonder how Montano is doing? Have not heard very much at all about Bradwell or Dauphine. And these nagging injuries that Mccleskey keeps having is another issue to keep our eyes on - we don't have much depth at WR. Other than that, everything is fine.
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

Remember the 2018 spring game? 1st team O could not run v the first team D - especially up the middle. That was when then frosh Jeffrey Johnson and reinvented De'Andre Williams appeared on the scene. D dominated. It was a revelation and sign of what was to come about our DL but like you I concerned about our OL at the time.

Our D line will pressure many teams including our own.
But I expect our interior OL will be as good or better than 2018 - it's the OTs that are a question mark. I've heard Johnson and Claybrook and I guess McLeod as a quality third. Lots of young pups after that.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

given that our top two WR were held out, the practice was designed to prevent injury (a touch means you're down) and that we're putting in a whole new Offense tells me not to read too much into this scrimmage.

That said, I think we have a seriously good DL
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Last year despite our OL issues we still broke a decent handful of runs through the interior of the line due to scheme and blocking angles. Despite all the other shortcomings, Ruse was pretty good at that. I'm hoping Hall doesn't completely abandon that because if our OL is improved and we could do it before, we should be able to do it "better" now (you'd think).

The good part about having such a solid defense is that once the offense sees an opponent with a worse defense, things should seem "easy". Or at least "easIER".
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Hall has said more than once that he wants to keep the option element and emphasize the run. Of course the ball will be in the air more. Whatever we’ll see starting LESS THAN TWO WEEKS FROM NOW is probably only a bit of what we’ll see over the course of the year.

Not worried about the OL struggling with our DL.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Looks like Nick Anderson will be the impact player a lot of thought he would be.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

PeteRasche wrote:Last year despite our OL issues we still broke a decent handful of runs through the interior of the line due to scheme and blocking angles. Despite all the other shortcomings, Ruse was pretty good at that. I'm hoping Hall doesn't completely abandon that because if our OL is improved and we could do it before, we should be able to do it "better" now (you'd think).

The good part about having such a solid defense is that once the offense sees an opponent with a worse defense, things should seem "easy". Or at least "easIER".
I can't help but wonder if they aren't practicing more what they didn't do last year. If anyone need to make up for lost time its the receviers, rbs, and QB in the passing game. It just simply means the passing game needs the most work at this point.
long green wrote:Hall has said more than once that he wants to keep the option element and emphasize the run. Of course the ball will be in the air more. Whatever we’ll see starting LESS THAN TWO WEEKS FROM NOW is probably only a bit of what we’ll see over the course of the year.

Not worried about the OL struggling with our DL.
From what I know/experienced the main reason that the Defense usually wins camp is the offense doesn't game-plan for what the defense is doing. They are just going through their plays. The defense, thought they don't game- plan either, is set up each play to adjust.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

GreenieBacker wrote:Looks like Nick Anderson will be the impact player a lot of thought he would be.
In the spring it was said about Anderson that he joined the “traditional” 3 man ILB rotation almost from the start of spring practice. Don’t go to sleep on the two vets, though. I expect Lawrence Graham to have a great senior year.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

We all thought we needed depth at LB when last year was done and the coaches, by going after and landing bot Anderson and Lawal certainly took care of that very nicely.