No Divisions in Football

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

No Divisions in Football

Post by TU77CAL82 »

American Athletic Conference planning to eliminate divisions in football as soon as 2020
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... n-as-2020/
"We've already pretty much made that decision," Aresco said. "We've already started the waiver process with the NCAA to be able to play a championship game with 11 teams and not have to play a round-robin. We think playing 10 [conference] games is out of the question for all sorts of reasons. We also don't want to be forced to add a team and raid another conference. We also don't want to be forced to jettison a team."
If we have a permanent opponent, I sure hope that it's not SMU or Tulsa.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Re: No Divisions in Football

Post by WaveProf »

Aresco leans toward two permanent opponents.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

If we have to have two permanent, I would hope for Houston and Memphis.

I am glad they're taking this approach rather than adding a lesser football school to stay at 12. Once again, Aresco shows why he's one of the better Commissioners out there.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

I think they need to do it geographically anything else would just devolve into petty preferences.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Nice graphics, Poseidon. Makes sense.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

TUPF wrote:Nice graphics, Poseidon. Makes sense.
+1
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I'd rather not have to play Houston AND Memphis. With the exception of ECU, no one else would have as hard or harder of permanent match ups.

Give me either Houston OR Memphis and then either SMU OR Navy.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

WaveProf wrote:I'd rather not have to play Houston AND Memphis. With the exception of ECU, no one else would have as hard or harder of permanent match ups.

Give me either Houston OR Memphis and then either SMU OR Navy.
Then you bring preference into it.

The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I like that map a bit better. But I’m not really opposed to preference. what is the point of having two permament opponents if it isn’t about preference? There’s no law that says we have to have ANY teams we play every year. The conference prefers 2 repeat opponents because some schools prefer to always play one another. And the reasons for those preferences aren’t always regional. It’s all about preference, so no point in avoiding it.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Navy for instance prefers playing western teams. That’s why they demanded the western division in the first place.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Good work Poseidon.

Navy wanted the west to be able to play in Texas for recruiting purposes.
We deserve so much better
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

WaveProf wrote:I like that map a bit better. But I’m not really opposed to preference. what is the point of having two permament opponents if it isn’t about preference? There’s no law that says we have to have ANY teams we play every year. The conference prefers 2 repeat opponents because some schools prefer to always play one another. And the reasons for those preferences aren’t always regional. It’s all about preference, so no point in avoiding it.
The preference isn't avoided; it's geographical because that is the most objective way and not a Navy likes Texas or Tulsa has a long series with Houston one based on fanbase/AD/TV preference. You know all that.

The catalyst for permanents is to preserve the UCF-USF rivalry game. That is preference. I know that. I only used the two permanent opponent format because Aresco has said more than once that is what they are looking at. So if you are going to do that and it is going to include usf/ucf then the objective geographic solution avoids overtly establishing a pecking order.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I’ll be shocked if UCF/USF, Tulsa/Houston, and Navy/at least one Texas school aren’t all lockd
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

WaveProf wrote:I’ll be shocked if UCF/USF, Tulsa/Houston, and Navy/at least one Texas school aren’t all lockd
What Texas school wants to be lock'd to Navy? It will be interesting.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Something interesting I just realized. Next year we will have an odd number of AAC teams so that means someone will have to play a non-con game or bye the last week of the season. Most teams already have their schedules filled so I bet someone will be looking at a bye. :roll:
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Poseidon wrote:Something interesting I just realized. Next year we will have an odd number of AAC teams so that means someone will have to play a non-con game or bye the last week of the season. Most teams already have their schedules filled so I bet someone will be looking at a bye. :roll:
Or they’ll pay extra $ to move their FCS game to that week
ThePassWave
Senior

Post by ThePassWave »

Poisedon, I suggest that you send your graphic to Aresco. Navy does not have to have a "permanent" Texas team; they will surely play some Texas teams each year even if they are not permanent.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

WaveProf wrote:Navy for instance prefers playing western teams. That’s why they demanded the western division in the first place.
Though I don’t doubt you’ve seen this somewhere, I don’t understand its logic. Navy, like Army, or even Notre Dame as an extreme example, are unusual cases where there really is not a local geographical tie, only a national one. And since no one in their right mind goes to a service academy just to play football, the dynamics of recruitment don’t follow the regular D1 norm.

I personally know three USNA grads who signed on to play football. One had the academic goods to get into Annapolis on his own but the other two would not have gotten in otherwise. All three were swept up in the allure of a service academy and proximity or distance from home had nothing to do with it. Thus, I don’t get the Texas connection, or anywhere else for that matter. I could see recruiting in a Navy town like San Diego or Virginia Beach or Pearl Harbor before any place in Texas. If you say play in Texas because that’s where talent is, that’s one thing but that doesn’t make Navy any different from any other D1 program.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

TUPF wrote:
WaveProf wrote:Navy for instance prefers playing western teams. That’s why they demanded the western division in the first place.
Though I don’t doubt you’ve seen this somewhere, I don’t understand its logic. Navy, like Army, or even Notre Dame as an extreme example, are unusual cases where there really is not a local geographical tie, only a national one. And since no one in their right mind goes to a service academy just to play football, the dynamics of recruitment don’t follow the regular D1 norm.

I personally know three USNA grads who signed on to play football. One had the academic goods to get into Annapolis on his own but the other two would not have gotten in otherwise. All three were swept up in the allure of a service academy and proximity or distance from home had nothing to do with it. Thus, I don’t get the Texas connection, or anywhere else for that matter. I could see recruiting in a Navy town like San Diego or Virginia Beach or Pearl Harbor before any place in Texas. If you say play in Texas because that’s where talent is, that’s one thing but that doesn’t make Navy any different from any other D1 program.
Maybe the military-mindedness of the deep South and Texas is more receptive to their pitch?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

gerryb323 wrote:
TUPF wrote:

Maybe the military-mindedness of the deep South and Texas is more receptive to their pitch?
Could be. Yet in my small sample of three USNA football players, one (who was bright and became a submariner) was from Toledo; one was a lineman from the Maryland Eastern Shore; and one was a linebacker from western Pennsylvania.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

No doubt Navy recruits nationally so you will find players from all over on their roster. The Texas connection is the sheer depth of talent that's there relative to other states. You could say the same for a few other states, like Florida or Georgia, but I'm guessing the Navy staff has built some kind of Texas pipeline they want to keep intact. It could also be that more schools are still running the option in Texas than elsewhere.

TUPF, you're right that there's more to going to Navy than playing football. Finding the right mix of athlete and student and serviceman is hard. But it is a little easier in a deep pool like the Texas recruiting base.
Last edited by tulaneoutlaw on Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

TUPF. My experience matches everything you say. So you’ll get no argument. BUT Navy made being in the West an active requirement of joining the AAC and their AD has reiterated that preference again at a couple of interviews/points since then. So at some point I started believing the horse’s Mouth
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

WaveProf wrote:TUPF. My experience matches everything you say. So you’ll get no argument. BUT Navy made being in the West an active requirement of joining the AAC and their AD has reiterated that preference again at a couple of interviews/points since then. So at some point I started believing the horse’s Mouth
Correct. The conference wanted them and thiei condition was being put in the West division to play in Texas for recruiting purposes.
We deserve so much better
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

wavedom wrote:
WaveProf wrote:TUPF. My experience matches everything you say. So you’ll get no argument. BUT Navy made being in the West an active requirement of joining the AAC and their AD has reiterated that preference again at a couple of interviews/points since then. So at some point I started believing the horse’s Mouth
Correct. The conference wanted them and thiei condition was being put in the West division to play in Texas for recruiting purposes.
Someone should tell them about the three players from 50 years ago that weren't from Texas.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

ml wave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Someone should tell them about the three players from 50 years ago that weren't from Texas.
Is it possible for you to not be as @sshole for once?

The lineman is 23 and is a neighbor’s son. He was commissioned in 2017 and is currently stationed in DC.