Delta Delta Delta now at Tulane Tulane Tulane...

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Delta Delta Delta now at Tulane Tulane Tulane...

Post by PeteRasche »

https://tulanehullabaloo.com/48234/news ... to-campus/
A few of you of a certain generation know what I'm talking about...
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Re: Delta Delta Delta now at Tulane Tulane Tulane...

Post by AO Sig »

Has anyone called the sorority house to see how they answer the phone?
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Yeah but the Omega Mu's are the ones that sure know how to party
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Try Delt. Everyone else has! :coolshades:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

Funny but it's actually positive development. The demand for sororities is far in excess of the number of spaces. They should be adding more.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:Yeah but the Omega Mu's are the ones that sure know how to party
Tri-Lamba agrees with this post.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

that's a big Sorority at my daughter's college. Funny thing, in my day the sororities and fraternities were having trouble recruiting members and were actually shrinking. Of course we had that little war in Vietnam back then and the subsequent anti-establishment thing going on......................
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I cannot have any rational thoughts in my mind about the Greek system without seeing Animal House, followed by Revenge of the Nerds, in my mind.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I don't have any particular dislike for greek organizations, I think sometimes they can be really, really great things. But I'll say this. Greek life was incredibly unpopular at Tulane for a brief period right after Katrina, and I saw some amazing things happening in student interactions. At very least, it made me consider what universities could learn from at least imagining a world with fewer greek organizations, even if the response to such an imagination wasn't, necessarily, to cut back on them.

FWIW greek culture is very much back to being "the thing" at Tulane
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

WaveProf wrote:I don't have any particular dislike for greek organizations, I think sometimes they can be really, really great things. But I'll say this. Greek life was incredibly unpopular at Tulane for a brief period right after Katrina, and I saw some amazing things happening in student interactions. At very least, it made me consider what universities could learn from at least imagining a world with fewer greek organizations, even if the response to such an imagination wasn't, necessarily, to cut back on them.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Back in the 90s Tulane was occasionally ranked in "most Greek" in the college polls, I believe.

You would think that with the younger generation's upbringing of INCLUSION INCLUSION INCLUSION that they'd push back against the whole idea of Greek systems which are somewhat exclusionary of others who are not in your house.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Tribalism is hardwired into our DNA unfortunately.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

GreenieBacker wrote:Tribalism is hardwired into our DNA unfortunately.
Bingo. It’s the root of everything both good and bad.

Sometimes I think it’s how many people could live comfortably in a cave which drives everything.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

WaveProf wrote:I don't have any particular dislike for greek organizations, I think sometimes they can be really, really great things. But I'll say this. Greek life was incredibly unpopular at Tulane for a brief period right after Katrina, and I saw some amazing things happening in student interactions. At very least, it made me consider what universities could learn from at least imagining a world with fewer greek organizations, even if the response to such an imagination wasn't, necessarily, to cut back on them.

This was my experience. The stat when I started in 2008 was 33% Greek which meant you never felt marginalized if you weren't part of Greek life. I'm sad to hear it's growing. It isn't like New Orleans isn't fun on its own and it isn't like there aren't loads of other social groups to take advantage of. I've stated this opinion before, but I think Greek life does far more harm than good.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

Going against the grain here, my fraternity experience at Tulane was life changing. I was from a small town in North Louisiana with almost nothing in common with the prep school guys and guys from big cities and large high schools. Somehow I ended up in a fraternity with guys like that who became life long friends. Older members counseled me when I got homesick and helped me assimilate better. As far as I knew, we didn't look down on non-fraternity guys, but I sorta felt sorry for them, because they didn't have a "family" away from home. We lived together, ate together, partied together, and observed all types of behavior that helped us learn what was right and what was wrong. Good people thrive anywhere, Greek or non-Greek. In my case, it helped me grow and thrive. I think non-Greeks sometime conjure up a stereotype of Greeks that is just not true. No question there are exceptions, but our fraternity taught friendship, honor, integrity and propriety. They are lessons that served me well throughout my life. I will never apologize for being a proud fraternity member.
austxwave
Navigator Level

Post by austxwave »

Cheerleader wrote:Going against the grain here, my fraternity experience at Tulane was life changing. I was from a small town in North Louisiana with almost nothing in common with the prep school guys and guys from big cities and large high schools. Somehow I ended up in a fraternity with guys like that who became life long friends. Older members counseled me when I got homesick and helped me assimilate better. As far as I knew, we didn't look down on non-fraternity guys, but I sorta felt sorry for them, because they didn't have a "family" away from home. We lived together, ate together, partied together, and observed all types of behavior that helped us learn what was right and what was wrong. Good people thrive anywhere, Greek or non-Greek. In my case, it helped me grow and thrive. I think non-Greeks sometime conjure up a stereotype of Greeks that is just not true. No question there are exceptions, but our fraternity taught friendship, honor, integrity and propriety. They are lessons that served me well throughout my life. I will never apologize for being a proud fraternity member.
agreed 100%
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Cheerleader wrote:Going against the grain here, my fraternity experience at Tulane was life changing. I was from a small town in North Louisiana with almost nothing in common with the prep school guys and guys from big cities and large high schools. Somehow I ended up in a fraternity with guys like that who became life long friends. Older members counseled me when I got homesick and helped me assimilate better. As far as I knew, we didn't look down on non-fraternity guys, but I sorta felt sorry for them, because they didn't have a "family" away from home. We lived together, ate together, partied together, and observed all types of behavior that helped us learn what was right and what was wrong. Good people thrive anywhere, Greek or non-Greek. In my case, it helped me grow and thrive. I think non-Greeks sometime conjure up a stereotype of Greeks that is just not true. No question there are exceptions, but our fraternity taught friendship, honor, integrity and propriety. They are lessons that served me well throughout my life. I will never apologize for being a proud fraternity member.
Nor should you. You made the organization and experience work for you and that's a good thing. Plenty of other members did and do the same I'm sure.

I'm from a similar background - small town in the mountains of Tennessee. I had little in common with the Northeast urban students or kids from the big Texas high schools. I struggled to fit in at first like all freshmen, yet I ended up with all the same benefits you did without joining a fraternity. The guys on my floor freshmen year became lifelong friends; we too lived, ate, and partied together. I made even more connections through club baseball and intramural sports. I eventually started working for housing where I became part of that family for the last three years of college. Nobody needed to feel sorry for me or anybody who took a similar, non-Greek path because we had plenty of friends, mentors, and social life through these other groups.

I can absolutely agree when you say good people will thrive anywhere. I knew guys in Greek life who were great to be around and have gone on to be great successes. But I also knew guys who got inducted into Greek life that struggled - with things like alcoholism and drug use or even simply struggling to keep up academically. Perhaps they would have run into these obstacles anyway, but all I could see was that in the fall when they arrived they exhibited one set of characteristics and after rushing in the spring they behaved differently. Because of that, I can't help but think that Greek life was a net negative for those students, a negative they might have otherwise avoided. Ultimately, I'm limited to my own experiences as a non-Greek and so of course my opinions are shaded by what I personally saw, which is assuredly only part of the narrative.

Just wondering out loud here because I don't know you or your background, Cheerleader, but is there any possibility that over the generations the purpose and culture of Greek life has shifted? I ask because I'm not sure the majority of Greek folks I interacted with would mention things like honor, integrity, and propriety as particular benefits of joining. BTW, my initial reason for not being interested in Greek life was cost. I attended many fraternity "open houses" and the cheapest fraternity dues were $800/semester as a freshman, money I simply didn't have.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Nor should you. You made the organization and experience work for you and that's a good thing. Plenty of other members did and do the same I'm sure.

I'm from a similar background - small town in the mountains of Tennessee. I had little in common with the Northeast urban students or kids from the big Texas high schools. I struggled to fit in at first like all freshmen, yet I ended up with all the same benefits you did without joining a fraternity. The guys on my floor freshmen year became lifelong friends; we too lived, ate, and partied together. I made even more connections through club baseball and intramural sports. I eventually started working for housing where I became part of that family for the last three years of college. Nobody needed to feel sorry for me or anybody who took a similar, non-Greek path because we had plenty of friends, mentors, and social life through these other groups.

I can absolutely agree when you say good people will thrive anywhere. I knew guys in Greek life who were great to be around and have gone on to be great successes. But I also knew guys who got inducted into Greek life that struggled - with things like alcoholism and drug use or even simply struggling to keep up academically. Perhaps they would have run into these obstacles anyway, but all I could see was that in the fall when they arrived they exhibited one set of characteristics and after rushing in the spring they behaved differently. Because of that, I can't help but think that Greek life was a net negative for those students, a negative they might have otherwise avoided. Ultimately, I'm limited to my own experiences as a non-Greek and so of course my opinions are shaded by what I personally saw, which is assuredly only part of the narrative.

Just wondering out loud here because I don't know you or your background, Cheerleader, but is there any possibility that over the generations the purpose and culture of Greek life has shifted? I ask because I'm not sure the majority of Greek folks I interacted with would mention things like honor, integrity, and propriety as particular benefits of joining. BTW, my initial reason for not being interested in Greek life was cost. I attended many fraternity "open houses" and the cheapest fraternity dues were $800/semester as a freshman, money I simply didn't have.
I never even attended any rush parties, although I had all the invitations. There were two reasons for that:

Nobody in my family or among my acquaintances had ever been to college, so I had no clear idea of what fraternities or "rushing" were all about.

Besides that, my family had no money, and there was no way I was going to come up with fraternity dues; I couldn't even afford a dorm room, so I lived at home in Algiers.

The NROTC became my on-campus "family," and most of those I hung with were also ΓΔΙ, so I never really thought about joining.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

As is evidenced by my "handle," I am a Sigma Chi. One brother of mine was none other than Attom, and he and I had a number of personal messages comparing who we had as common friends. My association did not limit me to that group, nor did it define me. I have known other Sigs elsewhere; at one point both of Tennessee's senators were brothers (I would greet them during Capitol Hill Visits, and they were very receptive to a brother visiting DC). My three younger brothers are Sigma Chis from E. Tenn State, and my uncle is one from Colorado State.

I also had many friends and activities on campus that were quite departed from my fraternity. I was active in UC programming and "Campus night," which was non- theatre people doing a musical (helped with Grease, The Roar of the Greasepaint, and Pippin). I

I never showed disdain toward anyone who was not in a fraternity or sorority. I will always cherish my time in my fraternity; I also will equally cherish all the experiences I had with every other group.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Roller wrote:The NROTC became my on-campus "family," and most of those I hung with were also ΓΔΙ, so I never really thought about joining.
And I obviously had my brotherhood too... Others would ask, "are you in a fraternity?" and my answer was Beta Beta Tau. BBT. BasketBall Team.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote:
Roller wrote:The NROTC became my on-campus "family," and most of those I hung with were also ΓΔΙ, so I never really thought about joining.
And I obviously had my brotherhood too... Others would ask, "are you in a fraternity?" and my answer was Beta Beta Tau. BBT. BasketBall Team.
That's the thing; there's tons of organizations on campus that fill the same or very similar roles (for me it was the Chess and Gaming Club (and, yes, we did all of the carousing, too)).
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

GretnaGrn wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
That's the thing; there's tons of organizations on campus that fill the same or very similar roles (for me it was the Chess and Gaming Club (and, yes, we did all of the carousing, too)).
Sounds hardcore! :-D
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

ml wave wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Sounds hardcore! :-D
Crack Nerds was our official title..... :coolshades: