Article on the 2006 Coaching Search...

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Article on the 2006 Coaching Search...

Post by GSx »

Sad article - "They had their eyes on former UCLA head coach Bob Toledo." This publication that I've never heard of (although the author's name sounds familiar) has published 2 Tulane articles today.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... h-get-away

Here's the other one. This one's nice.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... old-tulane
Roller
Cornerstone

Re: Article on the 2006 Coaching Search...

Post by Roller »

IIRC, Harbaugh was offered the job but did not immediately accept it, waiting to see if the Stanford offer would come through. When the Sanford post came through, he turned us down.

A properly researched article would have also made reference to the time we chose to hire Clark Shaugnessy instead of Knute Rockne, back in 1915 (although that didn't turn out so bad).
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Roller wrote:IIRC, Harbaugh was offered the job but did not immediately accept it, waiting to see if the Stanford offer would come through. When the Sanford post came through, he turned us down.

A properly researched article would have also made reference to the time we chose to hire Clark Shaugnessy instead of Knute Rockne, back in 1915 (although that didn't turn out so bad).
I thought we offered him, he wanted to go interview with Stanford, so RD moved on. I could be wrong, I was deployed at the time and sobriety is a mother trucker
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:I thought we offered him, he wanted to go interview with Stanford, so RD moved on. ...
You may be right. Either I didn't know what was going on beneath the Cone of Silence or mine was not a "properly researched" post. :-)
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Roller wrote:
krewe of ham and eggs wrote:I thought we offered him, he wanted to go interview with Stanford, so RD moved on. ...
You may be right. Either I didn't know what was going on beneath the Cone of Silence or mine was not a "properly researched" post. :-)
It's probably one of those things where we'll never know what really happened due to the infamous Come of Silence
Private Joker
Coach Level

Post by Private Joker »

I think this paper is a right-wing rag from D.C.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Roller wrote:IIRC, Harbaugh was offered the job but did not immediately accept it, waiting to see if the Stanford offer would come through. When the Sanford post came through, he turned us down.

That's what happened.
We deserve so much better
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

GSx wrote:Sad article - "They had their eyes on former UCLA head coach Bob Toledo." This publication that I've never heard of (although the author's name sounds familiar) has published 2 Tulane articles today.

Quin Hillyer is from New Orleans
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

ml wave wrote:
GSx wrote:Sad article - "They had their eyes on former UCLA head coach Bob Toledo." This publication that I've never heard of (although the author's name sounds familiar) has published 2 Tulane articles today.

Victor Law (Chem E Professor) is Quinn's uncle. Prof. Law is a big-time Tulane fan., and a member here (assuming he's still with us; I swapped a few emails with him when he first came aboard YOGWF, but I don't remember what his username was).
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Roller wrote:
ml wave wrote:

Victor Law (Chem E Professor) is Quinn's uncle. Prof. Law is a big-time Tulane fan., and a member here (assuming he's still with us; I swapped a few emails with him when he first came aboard YOGWF, but I don't remember what his username was).
Wavery would know if Professor Law is still with us.. he was one of my foresome in a Tulane charity golf tournament in Biloxi in the early 2000s... he used to post on here occasionally
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Johnny Mac wrote:
Private Joker wrote:I think this paper is a right-wing rag from D.C.
outside of the good pub Tulane has gotten from it, it's a piece of shiat newspaper.... right wing rag doesn't quite put it far right enough
Is this a political or sports forum? Examiner founders didn’t like the product from the existing DC media so they started their own periodical. Isn’t that why YOGWF exists? Because existing local media outlets didn’t serve the interests of this community?

You don’t like the Examiner’s output, ignore it or go to Huff Post or wherever you prefer and blast away. Meanwhile most of us here prefer that YOGWF remain non-political. Don’t you?
austxwave
Navigator Level

Post by austxwave »

Agreed Baywave! Let's not bring political opinion into this forum. We're all Tulane fans...let's not go any further than that.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Agreed, the space on this forum should be safe for those who don't want to read other's opinions on the quality of political publications.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

ml wave wrote:Agreed, the space on this forum should be safe for those who don't want to read other's opinions on the quality of political publications.
then don't read it... the comment I mean.. not the whole forum
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Johnny Mac wrote:
ml wave wrote:Agreed, the space on this forum should be safe for those who don't want to read other's opinions on the quality of political publications.
C'mon, man. If that rule stands then why have any rules at all? Just because you are a mod doesn't mean you should get to post political thoughts when no one else can.

Why, if windy were here, he'd [redacted]. :jerry: :jerry: :jerry:
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
C'mon, man. If that rule stands then why have any rules at all? Just because you are a mod doesn't mean you should get to post political thoughts when no one else can.

Why, if windy were here, he'd [redacted]. :jerry: :jerry: :jerry:
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
Clearly too subtle, my bad.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

ml wave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
It's not a "political thought"... it's a clear classification of what the Examiner IS.. it is a right wing newspaper.. not a political viewpoint, a fact.. and to get political for just a second, I'm NOT a liberal.

I consider it a POS because it's not a very good newspaper, not because of what direction it leans.

In re the Tulane op ed, while great pub, was poorly written.. it appeared to have so much more to be said and it just ended, awkwardly. I appreciated the story, but to me it appeared the author grew tired of writing so he just stopped.

Regardless, I deleted the original comment.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
It's not a "political thought"... it's a clear classification of what the Examiner IS.. it is a right wing newspaper.. not a political viewpoint, a fact.. and to get political for just a second, I'm NOT a liberal.

I consider it a POS because it's not a very good newspaper, not because of what direction it leans.

In re the Tulane op ed, while great pub, was poorly written.. it appeared to have so much more to be said and it just ended, awkwardly. I appreciated the story, but to me it appeared the author grew tired of writing so he just stopped.

Regardless, I deleted the original comment.
Which is why I said that you gave an opinion on the quality (not the politics) of the publication.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I do agree that both of the Tulane stories were poorly written. And I hate saying that about a Tulane story written by a Tulane person.