Biggest Disappointment in College Football 2019

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
long green
Cornerstone

Biggest Disappointment in College Football 2019

Unread post by long green »

My pick this year is Michigan. I’ve about given up on Jim Harbaugh ever delivering a championship at any level. He just seems to get in his own way, somehow. I also refuse to have much faith in Shea Patterson and QB’s like him (hothouse flowers with helicopter parents). I think they’re well-matched. I don’t think their schedule is a huge obstacle though it’s tough. I just don’t think they’ll deliver and I wouldn’t fall over from shock if Harbaugh bails back UP to the NFL after finishing behind Ohio State again.

I nearly didn’t pick a runner-up but I will go with UCF. I think they drop at least one non-con game and finish behind Cincinnati in their division. The reason I almost didn’t go with them is that I noticed that their 2018 offense fell off from 2017 before Milton got hurt, so maybe they could stay at that level. I also don’t much like Brandon Winbush if he’s the QB. I thought Heupel did a good job on the fly with Milton’s replacement but there they went into the transfer market for a big-ticket underachiever.

Please do submit your own picks.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Re: Biggest Disappointment in College Football 2019

Unread post by Baywave1 »

OK with me about Michigan. If Army proves it by beating UM in Ann Arbor that will make the Tulane matchup at West Point all the more meaningful.

Harbaugh is so high maintenance that his employers hold their noses when he wins. When he doesn't, they hold his pink slip. We'll see what UM does here if the Wolverines do tank this season.

Sample this recent prep for the potential Harbaugh auto-da-fe after Thanksgiving from a local paper covering UM football.

https://www.theoaklandpress.com/sports/ ... 3c30c.html
long green
Cornerstone

I am not expecting Army to throw a big scare into Michigan. Michigan opens with a team that plays an Anywheresville spread and has to replace a 12 year vet at QB to boot. They can spend plenty of time this month getting ready for Army. Oklahoma could not do that last year. Also, Michigan is more physical than OU. Now, could Harbaugh screw this up by being so arrogant that he does not prepare adequately for Army? It’s possible.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

Been waiting on this thread. My pick is Northwestern. They won their division win last year and I think this year they miss bowl play.

Runner up to Kentucky who I think comes down to earth in a big way. They lost a ton and were super one dimensional last year.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

Miami Hurricanes. Seems like every year we're told they've turned the corner and are about to have a breakout year and every year it seems like they find a way to implode.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Irish
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

The Irish have a very tough road schedule. They will be underdogs at Georgia and Michigan. I don’t see them as underachieving with their schedule.

I will say the little tigahs from Baton Rouge just because...
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

I hope it's the SEC.
long green
Cornerstone

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Been waiting on this thread. My pick is Northwestern. They won their division win last year and I think this year they miss bowl play.

Runner up to Kentucky who I think comes down to earth in a big way. They lost a ton and were super one dimensional last year.
I almost considered Northwestern as a surprise team because of their transfer QB, who came over from Clemson and sat out last year. He did well in limited time his freshman year.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

West Virginia. UCLA. Ohio State.
Plan your work, work your plan.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

The biggest disappointment is that LSU can do whatever they wish with regards to the rules, and still get to play.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

biggest underachiever will be Auburn.. currently ranked, they will end up with 6 losses including 1 to Tulane.. they will lose to LSU, Bama, Georgia, Tulane, A&M and Florida. Malzahn will be fired.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

If Malzahn loses to Tulane, he will not make it to the end of the season.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

Rotorooter wrote:If Malzahn loses to Tulane, he will not make it to the end of the season.
Probably, I don't see them losing to us but somehow beating Georgia, Bama, LSU, Oregon, Florida, and Texas A&M. If they lose to us they will lose 3-5 of those other game and maybe another. That's not taking a shot at us either. That schedule is brutal. If we beat them they easily end up with 5 or more losses and then the pitchforks will be out.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

Rotorooter wrote:If Malzahn loses to Tulane, he will not make it to the end of the season.
correct... but they won't make a move until loss number four or so
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Roller wrote:I hope it's the SEC.
It won't be a disappointment in anyone's eyes, because the media will dismiss it as "well, they're ALL so good they are just beating up on one another" and they'll still have a half-dozen teams in the top 15, whereas folks like us who want to see them fail will not be disappointed if they do have a lot of losses.

AO Sig wrote:The biggest disappointment is that LSU can do whatever they wish with regards to the rules, and still get to play.
You win this thread.
long green
Cornerstone

Rotorooter wrote:West Virginia. UCLA. Ohio State.
I don’t think the first two could count in a list of possible disappointing teams. WVU loses way too much for anyone to expect anything, IMO. UCLA had a bad season last year and they’re not the sexy pick to have a bounceback season like Nebraska is.

Ohio St could be a disappointment because they’re always good or expected to be. But I almost picked them to be a surprise because I like their schedule. It’s a good run-up to their tougher games. Last I heard, Justin Fields was not running away with that job, which is almost as funny as what has happened to Tate Martell at Miami.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

GreenieBacker wrote:Miami Hurricanes. Seems like every year we're told they've turned the corner and are about to have a breakout year and every year it seems like they find a way to implode.
Not being in the preseason top 25 for the first time in 10 years means it would take a lot to be more of a disappointment.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

long green wrote:My pick this year is Michigan.
Army doing work in Ann Arbor
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
long green wrote:My pick this year is Michigan.
Army doing work in Ann Arbor
Wow that was a terrible throw
long green
Cornerstone

I was convinced Michigan would win vs Army in a casual manner. Nope. They're not getting their money's worth from Harbaugh.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Ray »

long green wrote:I was convinced Michigan would win vs Army in a casual manner. Nope. They're not getting their money's worth from Harbaugh.
That's for sure :!: :!: