An inside look at how Tulane proved it belonged vs. Auburn

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

An inside look at how Tulane proved it belonged vs. Auburn

Post by PeteRasche »

https://theathletic.com/1197154/2019/09 ... uburn/?amp

Behind the Athletic pay wall. Wish I had a pass for this one. I'm guessing Duncan got some extra access for this story because there was some legit thought we could pull the upset and the story would be gold.
Carolina Greenie
Navigator Level

Re: An inside look at how Tulane proved it belonged vs. Aubu

Post by Carolina Greenie »

Indeed, the Duncan article is a very solid read. And I appreciate the good press- I hope it exposes a few unaffiliated Saints fans to what is emerging as a great team for the Wave.
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

Great article. Author was in position to win awards if the Green Wave has gotten the dub
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

This is a fair use quote from Fritz addressing team in locker room post-game:

“I’m proud of you,” Fritz said, amid a swarm of players, coaches and support staff. “We competed. It was a big stage. If we would have played smarter, played a little bit better in some areas, called a little bit better game head-coach-wise, shoot, we can beat a team like this. So hang in there!”

Good summary by Tulane's leader in real time. Very Fritzian in that he notes if Tulane is to improve, he himself has to do better. No one is thrown under the bus. Maybe this was Fritz's 1972 LSU game. I'm pulling for him and the team to make it so.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

One other point. When it was launched we had a vigorous discussion here about The Athletic providing a useful national platform for selected coverage of Tulane sports. It has proven so.

I doubt it will ever provide a beat reporter like it does for the Saints, Pels and LSU. However it can make Tulane part of the conversation in premier sports coverage in national publications through regular articles like this.

One thing is clear though: The better Tulane performs the more stories like this we will see in The Athletic and the like regardless of how local media may or may not cover Tulane. In short, it's about the winning at least to national media.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Baywave1 this was the one sentence that really grabbed me: "Maybe this was Fritz's 1972 LSU game". As someone who sat through both games, we fans KNEW that night in '72, that '73 was gonna do "IT" for us. And it did.

Fan since'54
Last edited by Fan Since '54 on Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:https://theathletic.com/1197154/2019/09 ... uburn/?amp

Behind the Athletic pay wall. Wish I had a pass for this one. I'm guessing Duncan got some extra access for this story because there was some legit thought we could pull the upset and the story would be gold.
It's like $3/month
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Thought this was interesting...
Auburn’s athletic budget of $147.6 million in 2017-2018 was nearly triple that of Tulane’s $48 million. Likewise, Jordan-Hare Stadium seated nearly three times as many people (87,451) as Tulane’s 30,000-seat Yulman Stadium. The budget for Auburn’s football coaching staff ($11.9 million) was nearly as big as the Green Wave’s entire football budget ($14.2 million).
Since we're obviously a private institution, I'm going to assume Duncan got those numbers straight from Dannen (he is quoted elsewhere in this story). Since it's in Dannen's best interests to make us look as legitimate as possible for expansion, etc., I'm also going to assume that the $48MM figure includes the cost of scholarships (not really just an assumption here, if schollies aren't included, there's no way we're spending $34MM on other sports if we're "only" spending $14MM on FB). If we say 300 athletic scholarships(?) at 75,000 per(?), that's 22.5MM, leaving our "true" athletics spending at something closer to $25MM of which ~55% is on football.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

ml wave wrote:Thought this was interesting...
Auburn’s athletic budget of $147.6 million in 2017-2018 was nearly triple that of Tulane’s $48 million. Likewise, Jordan-Hare Stadium seated nearly three times as many people (87,451) as Tulane’s 30,000-seat Yulman Stadium. The budget for Auburn’s football coaching staff ($11.9 million) was nearly as big as the Green Wave’s entire football budget ($14.2 million).
Since we're obviously a private institution, I'm going to assume Duncan got those numbers straight from Dannen (he is quoted elsewhere in this story). Since it's in Dannen's best interests to make us look as legitimate as possible for expansion, etc., I'm also going to assume that the $48MM figure includes the cost of scholarships (not really just an assumption here, if schollies aren't included, there's no way we're spending $34MM on other sports if we're "only" spending $14MM on FB). If we say 300 athletic scholarships(?) at 75,000 per(?), that's 22.5MM, leaving our "true" athletics spending at something closer to $25MM of which ~55% is on football.
Seems reasonable
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Donny Z
President's Circle

Post by Donny Z »

Jeff Duncan and Larry Holder have promoted increased Tulane coverage and have had a feature on Justin McMillan, Patrick Johnson, Duncan's game by game breakdown and prediction and then this tremendous piece. Plus you get other AAC coverage through Chris Vannini. They are promising more coverage. Right now there is a $1.99/month special going on if you pay for 1 year in advance (so $24). Highly recommend joining and marking Tulane football and Tulane basketball as your favorite teams.
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

Donny Z wrote:Jeff Duncan and Larry Holder have promoted increased Tulane coverage and have had a feature on Justin McMillan, Patrick Johnson, Duncan's game by game breakdown and prediction and then this tremendous piece. Plus you get other AAC coverage through Chris Vannini. They are promising more coverage. Right now there is a $1.99/month special going on if you pay for 1 year in advance (so $24). Highly recommend joining and marking Tulane football and Tulane basketball as your favorite teams.
HIGHLY recommend the Athletic. Not only have I been enjoying the Tulane coverage (and man do I look forward to a "behind the scenes" Ron Hunter story), there's great coverage of my other beloved basketball and soccer teams. Plus, they throw in a nice tshirt (or at least they used to).
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

angrywavedad wrote:
Donny Z wrote:Jeff Duncan and Larry Holder have promoted increased Tulane coverage and have had a feature on Justin McMillan, Patrick Johnson, Duncan's game by game breakdown and prediction and then this tremendous piece. Plus you get other AAC coverage through Chris Vannini. They are promising more coverage. Right now there is a $1.99/month special going on if you pay for 1 year in advance (so $24). Highly recommend joining and marking Tulane football and Tulane basketball as your favorite teams.
HIGHLY recommend the Athletic. Not only have I been enjoying the Tulane coverage (and man do I look forward to a "behind the scenes" Ron Hunter story), there's great coverage of my other beloved basketball and soccer teams. Plus, they throw in a nice tshirt (or at least they used to).
my buddy has been pushing me to subscribe.. just realized today that's where Peter Gammons is now... they have apparently hired a lot of well known writers
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
DCGreenie
President's Circle

Post by DCGreenie »

“I’m proud of you,” Fritz said, amid a swarm of players, coaches and support staff. “We competed. It was a big stage. If we would have played smarter, played a little bit better in some areas, called a little bit better game head-coach-wise, shoot, we can beat a team like this. So hang in there!”
There is a message in here that can't be missed: ".... a little bit better game head-coach-wise....." This is real, morale-reinforcing diplomacy. WF knows that Hall did not call his best game, but he wasn't going to call him out. But we saw the mistakes, he saw the mistakes, but it's Fritz's method of being positive, upbeat, and forward-looking, as opposed to some coaches (yeah, we can all name a lot of them) whose approach is brow-beating and humiliation.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

DCGreenie wrote:... as opposed to some coaches (yeah, we can all name a lot of them) whose approach is brow-beating and humiliation.
Oh, you mean all those ones with the national championship banners in their stadiums and arenas? 8)

I'm teasing you but despite the PC world of today screaming that coaches have to be nice, history has proven it certainly has no bearing on their success rate.
DCGreenie
President's Circle

Post by DCGreenie »

True -- but it has an effect on player temperament and behavior if -- and they often do -- emulate the speech and manner of an offensive coach (no, not coaching offense.... or, perhaps, in sense, they are.....) when they are impressionable when young and still maturing. It also has an effect on civility, including fan civility. I note that several posters pointed out the general civility of the Auburn fans towards Tulane game attendees. And, without thinking about it too hard, I immediately conjure the manner of LSU's Orgeron, whose attitude and behavior clearly infects his players. Witness the treatment of UCF players in last year's bowl game with the repeated violent verbal abuse they suffered throughout the game because of the LSU mythology that UCF was not worthy of being on the same field as LSU.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

DCGreenie wrote:True -- but it has an effect on player temperament and behavior if -- and they often do -- emulate the speech and manner of an offensive coach (no, not coaching offense.... or, perhaps, in sense, they are.....) when they are impressionable when young and still maturing. It also has an effect on civility, including fan civility. I note that several posters pointed out the general civility of the Auburn fans towards Tulane game attendees. And, without thinking about it too hard, I immediately conjure the manner of LSU's Orgeron, whose attitude and behavior clearly infects his players. Witness the treatment of UCF players in last year's bowl game with the repeated violent verbal abuse they suffered throughout the game because of the LSU mythology that UCF was not worthy of being on the same field as LSU.
I think you're stretching. A lot.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

I understand this was 20 years ago, but I was getting stories from a former player in regard to the difference between the Teevens staff (whom he played for) and the Bowden staff... he was saying that Rich Rod and others would come up and scream at a player that messed up, grab his face mask, etc. Teevens staff wouldn't do anything like that... at all. That being said, which coaching staff do YOU think was more effective?

I guarantee you none of our coaches current "coddle" the players and there is the appropriate amount of yelling and discipline. There is a line, however, between motivational and abusive. Abusive coaches eventually get outed for their excesses, especially these days where the standards are different for how you treat 18-21 year olds compared to 20 years ago.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Standards on treatment of personnel have changed everywhere. SEAL team leadership is being overhauled for, in effect, doing what those of us a generation ago did all the time. Truth be told, many of us would have been fired now for what we did then. Is it better now? Only time will tell. I personally think the collective “we” have gotten a little soft, but there has also been needed progress in how we treat the “not us”. So, it’s a mixed bag.

Some of you may remember Coach Bob Pruett who was Tulane’s DC at one time and went on to be Marshall’s very successful coach. He was my high school coach when I returned to the States in 1974 at Gar-Field HS, Woodbridge, VA. Some of the things he did to us then and some of the things he said would have pink slipped him today in about a day. But, the year before he arrived the high school won 2 games. My year the team went 0.500. The next year he went undefeated. So in that very small case toughness and a bit of @assholishness definitely worked, ala Teevins-to-Bowden.

I think shock treatment works where needed but the hard part is knowing where the red line is.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Private Joker
Coach Level

Post by Private Joker »

The Athletic sounds pretty good. Thanks for turning me on to it. I'll probably subscribe for four months and then drop it until the following football season. Football is my game.

I wish Gregg Easterbrook still had a platform. His TMQ column was my favorite. 80% football, 20% social commentary. He was on SI's site (I think) for a while then went to The Weekly Standard, but that site was shut down last year mid-season.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

TUPF wrote:Standards on treatment of personnel have changed everywhere. SEAL team leadership is being overhauled for, in effect, doing what those of us a generation ago did all the time. Truth be told, many of us would have been fired now for what we did then. Is it better now? Only time will tell. I personally think the collective “we” have gotten a little soft, but there has also been needed progress in how we treat the “not us”. So, it’s a mixed bag.

Some of you may remember Coach Bob Pruett who was Tulane’s DC at one time and went on to be Marshall’s very successful coach. He was my high school coach when I returned to the States in 1974 at Gar-Field HS, Woodbridge, VA. Some of the things he did to us then and some of the things he said would have pink slipped him today in about a day. But, the year before he arrived the high school won 2 games. My year the team went 0.500. The next year he went undefeated. So in that very small case toughness and a bit of @assholishness definitely worked, ala Teevins-to-Bowden.

I think shock treatment works where needed but the hard part is knowing where the red line is.
in re comparing "today standards" with "the past"... old time coaches would refuse to give players water breaks and would tell them "water makes you weak". Think of what would happen if a coach did that today... and I'm not talking the outrage it would cause, I'm talking the health concerns.. cramping, heat stroke, etc.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Johnny Mac wrote:
TUPF wrote:Standards on treatment of personnel have changed everywhere. SEAL team leadership is being overhauled for, in effect, doing what those of us a generation ago did all the time. Truth be told, many of us would have been fired now for what we did then. Is it better now? Only time will tell. I personally think the collective “we” have gotten a little soft, but there has also been needed progress in how we treat the “not us”. So, it’s a mixed bag.

in re comparing "today standards" with "the past"... old time coaches would refuse to give players water breaks and would tell them "water makes you weak". Think of what would happen if a coach did that today... and I'm not talking the outrage it would cause, I'm talking the health concerns.. cramping, heat stroke, etc.
If you ever have a chance to read The Junction Boys about Bear Bryant taking over Texas A&M in 1954, that’ll curl your hair. I know I never would have survived.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I absolutely felt negative effects from heat and no water and that was only 25-30 years ago. That whole mindset has changed radically in the past quarter century.

The blue rubber track in August and September heat, and Fogelman year round (save for maybe December through February) with no air conditioning or even simple ventilation. Brutal.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Remember watching you guys run on the track while watching football practices.
We deserve so much better