D'Eriq King to sit out and redshirt?

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Re: Houston QB D’Eriq King redshirting and probably entering

Unread post by OGSB »

So does his backup, who now will start then be expected to go to being a backup again next year treat it as an season ending injury or seethe with resentment?
Victory is never permanent
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Re: D'Eriq King to sit out and redshirt?

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

From the espn article:
Eric King added that D'Eriq is "not real comfortable" with the decision "but he knows his opportunities are greater later ... at the end of the day, sometimes you've got to be a little bit selfish and take care of you."
How are they even trying to sell ‘redshirting after a bad start and playing on the same team next year” as a greater opportunity?
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Sophandros »

I get sitting out in order to avoid injury if you are fairly certain you're going to be a high draft pick. There's precedent for that. I get sitting out in order to take the redshirt this year because you're going to transfer so that you don't lose a year of eligibility.

But to sit the year out in order to wait until next year at the same school? The only way this works is if the coaches instructed these guys to do this so that they can have a more secure job next year with quality players they know and trust. And in that case, it's a sign that the coaching staff has given up on this season, which would basically require the AD and others to be on board with the decision. Mind you, if this is somehow the case, it is still a very crappy thing to do to the other ≈80 scholarship players plus walk-ons who have been putting in a ton of work this season.

This tactic calls into question the character of everyone involved.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

"Man the lifeboats!"

Giving up on the season. From stellar to cellar.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

He's merely redshirting. He is NOT entering the transfer portal.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Sophandros wrote:I get sitting out in order to avoid injury if you are fairly certain you're going to be a high draft pick. There's precedent for that. I get sitting out in order to take the redshirt this year because you're going to transfer so that you don't lose a year of eligibility.

But to sit the year out in order to wait until next year at the same school? The only way this works is if the coaches instructed these guys to do this so that they can have a more secure job next year with quality players they know and trust. And in that case, it's a sign that the coaching staff has given up on this season, which would basically require the AD and others to be on board with the decision. Mind you, if this is somehow the case, it is still a very crappy thing to do to the other ≈80 scholarship players plus walk-ons who have been putting in a ton of work this season.

+1000

As Soph points out - either way, transfer or not, he's screwing this year's team - totally.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Sophandros wrote:I get sitting out in order to avoid injury if you are fairly certain you're going to be a high draft pick. There's precedent for that. I get sitting out in order to take the redshirt this year because you're going to transfer so that you don't lose a year of eligibility.

This is exactly what I was trying to point out earlier today when this first hit the wire, but you said it much better than I. A terrible look no matter how he spins it.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

Exactly. And that is precisely what Houston is doing. Dana is quoted in the ESPN article as saying that his WVU players averaged 23 years old. He's trying to build an older team for next year. He's conceding this year.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

This really does make me wonder how Holgerson sells this to his other players. The ESPN article does confirm that it was a decision that the coach encouraged, and as was said above, there's no way this kind of tactic is done without the buy-in of the AD (and probably Fertitta). Holgerson stated his goal is to redshirt every player who has one available. So what about the guys who don't? I mentioned the 5th-year seniors who just had their coach effectively say "sorry, we're purposely quitting on your last year, thanks for your hard work." What if you're younger and already used your redshirt and you're just losing a year? Had a bowl game as a freshman, as a sophomore, and now, tough, you get screwed out of your junior year because the new coach lost three of his first four games so he's decided to throw in the towel. Are you staying? Hell no, you're graduating ASAP and hitting the transfer portal. The selfishness in this move by all involved is astounding.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Roller wrote:Exactly. And that is precisely what Houston is doing. Dana is quoted in the ESPN article as saying that his WVU players averaged 23 years old. He's trying to build an older team for next year. He's conceding this year.
That's because they're 21 when they graduate HS -
Last edited by sr on Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

There is zero chance he's redshirting to come back to Houston. He can't enter the transfer portal now, he hasn't graduated. He'll say whatever he has to say while he's still around Houston going to class and working out and such, and as soon as he graduates it'll be "Deuces", show up at Oklahoma and win the Heisman. It's like how every top draft pick says they're still considering coming back to school in between the regular season and the bowl game (well, except for those that now sit out the bowl) and then immediately declare for the draft after the bowl.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

ml wave wrote:There is zero chance he's redshirting to come back to Houston. He can't enter the transfer portal now, he hasn't graduated. He'll say whatever he has to say while he's still around Houston going to class and working out and such, and as soon as he graduates it'll be "Deuces", show up at Oklahoma and win the Heisman. It's like how every top draft pick says they're still considering coming back to school in between the regular season and the bowl game (well, except for those that now sit out the bowl) and then immediately declare for the draft after the bowl.
Would be absolutely shocked if you aren't 100% correct on this. I think he may also test the pro waters as well. With the success of Lamar Jackson he may be a hotter commodity than just a few years ago.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

From Holgrrnsons POV he is obviously buying time. They play UNT this week and then are off. It's not out of the realm of possibility that the players change their mind in two weeks. Second, Holgs is trying to build. If they don't make a bowl this season it can be blamed on King as much as Holgs. Holgs also now gets to get Tune(who is a decent qb on his own right) more reps as he will be the starter for next year and the following year.

It wouldn't surprise me if King winds up in Tallahassee next year with his former OC Kendall Briles. He has more options that that, but that is definitely the first thing that comes to mind.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Since the whole "4 games before redshirting" thing has gone off the sensible tracks into la-la land, here's a question: why couldn't Tune play 4 games and then also redshirt (since they've already thrown away the season), let their 3rd string guy play the rest, and then Tune saves another year as well? In other words, if you're gonna throw away a season, why not go all-in on it?

(disclaimer: I have not looked to see if Tune already redshirted and whether that's possible, so if he did, just consider this a hypothetical)
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:Since the whole "4 games before redshirting" thing has gone off the sensible tracks into la-la land, here's a question: why couldn't Tune play 4 games and then also redshirt (since they've already thrown away the season), let their 3rd string guy play the rest, and then Tune saves another year as well? In other words, if you're gonna throw away a season, why not go all-in on it?

(disclaimer: I have not looked to see if Tune already redshirted and whether that's possible, so if he did, just consider this a hypothetical)
Cuz Tune would have to agree to that and he'd probably want to play the other games instead? (I also do not know if he's previously redshirted)
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:Since the whole "4 games before redshirting" thing has gone off the sensible tracks into la-la land, here's a question: why couldn't Tune play 4 games and then also redshirt (since they've already thrown away the season), let their 3rd string guy play the rest, and then Tune saves another year as well? In other words, if you're gonna throw away a season, why not go all-in on it?

Cuz Tune would have to agree to that and he'd probably want to play the other games instead? (I also do not know if he's previously redshirted)
Sure, but Holgerson says he wants everyone to redshirt and to be as experienced as possible, so why not get him four games with first string and then just practice the rest of the year and gain that experience? Heck, pick all the biggest games for him to play so he gets "big game" experience.

I'm just spitballing crazy, selfish thoughts since "crazy and selfish" seems to be the whole trend here.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

Wouldn't it be hilarious if King gets "Wally-Pipped"?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Tune was a true freshman last year, just fwiw
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:

Sure, but Holgerson says he wants everyone to redshirt and to be as experienced as possible, so why not get him four games with first string and then just practice the rest of the year and gain that experience? Heck, pick all the biggest games for him to play so he gets "big game" experience.

I'm just spitballing crazy, selfish thoughts since "crazy and selfish" seems to be the whole trend here.
You gents are en fuego today. Keep it up. During intermission, I'm grabbing a beer and more popcorn.
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

this was brought up on the Houston forum too....

I imagine it would cause a re-thinking of that rule change.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

FW wrote:If you guys think they’re staying at Houston
Exactly. They’re gone. They’re doing this to give them some cover on campus and Holgorsen is weak enough to grasp at this straw.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
long green
Cornerstone

Wish I had this before my last post. I agree with everything.

Houston is headed for the rocks. Glorious.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:

Again, because Tune would have to agree to it. Forcing your starting QB to redshirt against his will isn't going to go over very well on the recruiting trail.
long green
Cornerstone

The “King and Corbin are coming back” story buys Holgorsen time. About nine months worth. Then when King and Corbin take someone else up on their offer the doody will hit the fan. If I were a big Houston booster I’d recruit some of my fellows and gang up on Fertitta. Not in a bad way, just making him guarantee among friends that he alone will pony up Holgorsen’s buyout when and if it becomes time.
Last edited by long green on Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.