Winning Effect

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Winning Effect

Post by tjtlja »

TU23 or LG, any news on the recruiting front or how our recruits are performing this prep season? Do you expect some movement with the way the season may play out? How do we handle the transfer portal? We have always signed several kids - how does that play out in 2020?
GSx
Emerald Circle

Re: Winning Effect

Post by GSx »

Who have we signed for next year? - never mind. I read always as "already"

some underclassmen will probably have to leave to make room for transfers.
Last edited by GSx on Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

We have not signed anyone for next year. We currently have 23 commitments and the early signing day begins December 18th.

247 has us at 47th and ranked #1 in the G5. Rivals has us at #43 and #1 in the G5 (interestingly, ECU has moved up to 46 and #2 in the G5).
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

GSx wrote:Who have we signed for next year? - never mind. I read always as "already"

some underclassmen will probably have to leave to make room for transfers.
Maybe, maybe not. Tulane and SMU have demonstrated the effectiveness of a grad transfer strategy on more than a one off basis. Competition for these folks will almost certainly dramatically increase (but then supply of transfers could grow too.)

Regardless it's certainly working for Dykes and Fritz this season. Perhaps we will see a Thanksgiving game for the division title featuring their wanderers against our wanderers?
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Wouldnt mind another grad transfer qb or, more especially, some WRs
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Dykes has gone deeper into the transfer market than Fritz. It looks like Dykes is subsisting on major college transfers while Fritz uses the transfer market to cover holes.

If we get one good HS wideout to go with the Watts twins I think we’ll be fine there for next year. One impact newcomer to go with Toles and what I think will be at least one veteran to step forward will give us a solid group. The hallmark of the Fritz era is guys steadily improving. Before last year people were worried about replacing RaeJuan Marbley at ILB. We did that with what we had on hand.

I’d be looking for an offensive tackle on the grad market and nothing else
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I would like to see us go and get a QB if only to add depth
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

If anyone is interested I found this link that shows who all is in the transfer portal:

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Footb ... ortal/#AAC
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

Lindsay Scott is immediately available!!!!
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

https://crescentcitysports.com/top-50-m ... 20-part-2/

FWIW, of the top 25(27 since 2 ties), Nadeau's lists 23, 22, 19, 18 and 16 (all Tulane commits) and shows Tulane offers to 21, 20, and 7.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

One dude in the portal transferred from Miss St to... Miss St. :?

MNAlum wrote:https://crescentcitysports.com/top-50-m ... 20-part-2/

FWIW, of the top 25(27 since 2 ties), Nadeau's lists 23, 22, 19, 18 and 16 (all Tulane commits) and shows Tulane offers to 21, 20, and 7.
Regarding Ibieta, says "Reminds me of (former Tulane QB) Tanner Lee" :whistle:
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

PeteRasche wrote:One dude in the portal transferred from Miss St to... Miss St. :?

That says more about Rene Nadeau than it does about Justin Ibieta. Ibieta is nothing like Lee.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote:One dude in the portal transferred from Miss St to... Miss St. :
I wonder if his credits transferred?
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Wavery
Navigator Level

Post by Wavery »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:If anyone is interested I found this link that shows who all is in the transfer portal:

As you all know, not a single player from Tulane in portal...
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Wavery wrote:
krewe of ham and eggs wrote:If anyone is interested I found this link that shows who all is in the transfer portal:

As you all know, not a single player from Tulane in portal...
Shhhh...
Wavery
Navigator Level

Post by Wavery »

I think we would want that published! Seems like it would be great for families to hear when their 17-18 year old is being recruited. Kids love coming here because they can compete for championships and because of the family atmosphere that seems to have been created by this staff and the kids that are already on the team.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

long green wrote:Dykes has gone deeper into the transfer market than Fritz. It looks like Dykes is subsisting on major college transfers while Fritz uses the transfer market to cover holes.

If we get one good HS wideout to go with the Watts twins I think we’ll be fine there for next year. One impact newcomer to go with Toles and what I think will be at least one veteran to step forward will give us a solid group. The hallmark of the Fritz era is guys steadily improving. Before last year people were worried about replacing RaeJuan Marbley at ILB. We did that with what we had on hand.

I’d be looking for an offensive tackle on the grad market and nothing else
What about upgrades in the current class?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

long green wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:One dude in the portal transferred from Miss St to... Miss St. :?

That says more about Rene Nadeau than it does about Justin Ibieta. Ibieta is nothing like Lee.
Never seeing Ibieta play, what are the major differences coming out of high school? From what I read, they both have great arms, both are tall kids, and both come from passing systems. Tanner started one year for Jesuit, and Ibieta has been a long time starter in single A. Out of high school, I have no clue how each read defenses, but we know for the most part they are facing unsophisticated looks. I have had several people tell me they both need some time to develop. The only difference I have been told is Ibieta is much more athletic. It seems like they have more similarities out of high school then they do when it comes to differences.
austxwave
Navigator Level

Post by austxwave »

As you stated, he is very athletic. He runs our offense and is equally adept at running as passing. Nothing like Tanner Lee.

tjtlja wrote:
long green wrote:

Never seeing Ibieta play, what are the major differences coming out of high school? From what I read, they both have great arms, both are tall kids, and both come from passing systems. Tanner started one year for Jesuit, and Ibieta has been a long time starter in single A. Out of high school, I have no clue how each read defenses, but we know for the most part they are facing unsophisticated looks. I have had several tell people tell me they both need some time to develop. The only difference I have been told is Ibieta is much more athletic. It seems like they have more similarities out of high school then they do when it comes to differences.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Where is Ibieta at when it comes to football IQ and does the level of competition give you any reason for concern? Like I said, I have never seen him play. Just curious.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

tjtlja wrote:Where is Ibieta at when it comes to football IQ and does the level of competition give you any reason for concern? Like I said, I have never seen him play. Just curious.
I think it will give him a longer learning curve, but last year they beat Amite who won the 3A state championship so it's not like they're just beating up on Ridgewood or whatever.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

Ibieta plays with more grit and toughness than Tanner Lee did in high school. Lee was a passer first and foremost and a runner only when he absolutely had to be. Jesuit ran more of a pro style offense with an emphasis on running the ball. Ibieta plays in a spread where he is expected to run and make plays with his legs. He's not much faster than T. Lee was, but he is much more willing to run and physical with the ball in his hands. Ibieta can get a little inaccurate at times and may not be as good of a natural passer as Lee, but Lee was never able to translate that talent into production. I'd give Lee a slight edge in arm strength and accuracy, but Ibieta a huge advantage in decision-making, partially because he's a more willing runner.

Either way, I think Ibieta is going to redshirt and may be 2 years away from really competing for the full-time starting role. I think right now, the more important comparisons are between Ibieta and Pratt.

Pratt and Ibieta are similar runners. Neither is all that fast. Both are physical. Right now, Pratt is a better, more polished passer than Ibieta and has played a lot better competition. He also plays with a much better supporting cast, so that deserves some consideration when assessing both guys. Going into next year, I'd give Pratt a leg up on Ibieta as the primary backup, but that could easily change once both get on campus. Either way, both guys are better prospects than Christian Daniels, who I think will move to WR after this year.
This one belongs to the Wave.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

TU23 wrote:Ibieta plays with more grit and toughness than Tanner Lee did in high school. Lee was a passer first and foremost and a runner only when he absolutely had to be. Jesuit ran more of a pro style offense with an emphasis on running the ball. Ibieta plays in a spread where he is expected to run and make plays with his legs. He's not much faster than T. Lee was, but he is much more willing to run and physical with the ball in his hands. Ibieta can get a little inaccurate at times and may not be as good of a natural passer as Lee, but Lee was never able to translate that talent into production. I'd give Lee a slight edge in arm strength and accuracy, but Ibieta a huge advantage in decision-making, partially because he's a more willing runner.

Either way, I think Ibieta is going to redshirt and may be 2 years away from really competing for the full-time starting role. I think right now, the more important comparisons are between Ibieta and Pratt.

Pratt and Ibieta are similar runners. Neither is all that fast. Both are physical. Right now, Pratt is a better, more polished passer than Ibieta and has played a lot better competition. He also plays with a much better supporting cast, so that deserves some consideration when assessing both guys. Going into next year, I'd give Pratt a leg up on Ibieta as the primary backup, but that could easily change once both get on campus. Either way, both guys are better prospects than Christian Daniels, who I think will move to WR after this year.
Exactly.
We deserve so much better
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

TU23 wrote:Ibieta plays with more grit and toughness than Tanner Lee did in high school. Lee was a passer first and foremost and a runner only when he absolutely had to be. Jesuit ran more of a pro style offense with an emphasis on running the ball. Ibieta plays in a spread where he is expected to run and make plays with his legs. He's not much faster than T. Lee was, but he is much more willing to run and physical with the ball in his hands. Ibieta can get a little inaccurate at times and may not be as good of a natural passer as Lee, but Lee was never able to translate that talent into production. I'd give Lee a slight edge in arm strength and accuracy, but Ibieta a huge advantage in decision-making, partially because he's a more willing runner.

I agree with most except the last sentence. If Daniels moves to WR then we have a grand total of three Scholorship QBs for the 2020 season, two of which are true freshman. A traditional transfer doesn't work because he would not be eligible to help for 2020 plus he would slot in front of Pratt which may cause him to transfer. A grad transfer with two years left would be the only real option other than waiting to move Daniels to WR in 2021 which at point Daniels would be a RS JR. learning a new position. I think Daniels stays at QB and if he can beat out Pratt all the better.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

It will be a waste of a career for him to spend another year at a position he won't play at this level. It's time for him to move positions so he can put his abilities to use.
We deserve so much better