Coaching Carousel 2019-20

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
long green
Cornerstone

Coaching Carousel 2019-20

Unread post by long green »

Chris Ash of Rutgers is our first rider to leave the fair. God alone knows who will take that job. No one with options will consider it.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: Coaching Carousel 2019-20

Unread post by TUPF »

Rutgers has always been an also ran, and not just in sports. I think it has never outgrown its roots as a place for Jersey kids who had no prayer of getting into Princeton or any other nearby rich kid school, while still being close enough to have Mom do the laundry. It’s a shame because it’s facilities aren’t terrible. It’s more a state of mind. Demographics says it should have been a fit for a big time conference, the largest school in a densely populated state with a state legislature that mostly funds it well.

Maybe it’s Penn State envy. I don’t know. Every person I have known who graduated from Rutgers is almost apologetic about it.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

What's Greg Schiano up to these days?
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Already a lot of smoke about him being the guy. They can't do better.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

long green wrote:Already a lot of smoke about him being the guy. They can't do better.
If they believe they can then they’ll do worse.

Then again, that’s the same thinking that got us Toledo/CJ.
Victory is never permanent
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

Give me one good reason they shouldn't start running the triple? It will give them their best shot at bowl contention year in and year out.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Give me one good reason they shouldn't start running the triple? It will give them their best shot at bowl contention year in and year out.
Not a bad idea. They’d still need a good coach. Army (mostly) ran the triple for the last 20 years before they started to get some wins.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

OGSB wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:Give me one good reason they shouldn't start running the triple? It will give them their best shot at bowl contention year in and year out.
Not a bad idea. They’d still need a good coach. Army (mostly) ran the triple for the last 20 years before they started to get some wins.
Paul Johnson is available
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
OGSB wrote:
Come to think of it, there aren’t many coaches married to the triple still in coaching.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

OGSB wrote:
krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
OGSB wrote:
Come to think of it, there aren’t many coaches married to the triple still in coaching.
Not at the FBS level, but there are plenty in the FCS that would make the jump for the huge pay bump if given assurances of patience while they install the system.

BTW, Feldman over at the Athletic mentions our very own Willie Fritz as a G5 possibility to fill the job. I don't see it as likely but still interesting CWF is getting mentions.

https://theathletic.com/1251753/2019/09 ... dailyemail
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

As you note, always good to hear your guy get a shout out. I'd be surprised if Willie left (especially for Rutgers) but I can easily see his agent using it as leverage for another raise/extension.

I'd guess Rutgers pursues either Shiano or the Buffalo guy.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Another name they should consider is Chris Creighton at EMU. He's won in an impossible situation there which might translate over to a Rutgers type situation.

I'm still on the triple option boat though. Having Georgia Tech run that in the ACC and make the occasional Orange Bowl was a lot of fun.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

The triple option would be a good idea for them.

I will say Ga Tech was helped by the deep recruiting pool for skill players in Georgia, which allowed them to throw (and throw deep at that) far more often than an Army/Navy/Citadel/VMI. That helped them. And might prove more difficult for a Rutgers.

But either way, it would be an interesting idea for them.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

WaveProf wrote:The triple option would be a good idea for them.

I will say Ga Tech was helped by the deep recruiting pool for skill players in Georgia, which allowed them to throw (and throw deep at that) far more often than an Army/Navy/Citadel/VMI. That helped them. And might prove more difficult for a Rutgers.

But either way, it would be an interesting idea for them.
I agree. I think it would be at least step up to relevancy. I don't think it would win them more than 8-9 games at its best, but that is light years from where they are now.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

Poseidon wrote: I don't think it would win them more than 8-9 games at its best, but that is light years from where they are now.
Oh, that's clearly their ceiling with that 0. But, honestly, it's higher than their ceiling without it. If they could consistently get 6 wins with that O and occasionally 8-9, and have that be consistent for a decade or more, then that would change their perception/dynamics and they could then get a new coach and O that might take them higher. I'm not saying they'll achieve success with the triple option, but I am saying it's their best shot at relevancy.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Emerging frontrunner for the Rutgers job is ... Mississippi State coach Joe Moorhead. The bottom of the Big 10 stealing from the bottom third of the SEC? Interesting.
(although as the story says, he's from up that way and the fanbase is getting restless in Starkville already so it seems like it would be more a case of going where his roots are)

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.c ... arget/amp/
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Florida State to fire Taggert and make a run at Urban Meyer? That would certainly reawaken the UF/FSU rivalry.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... ar-AAJ7JsH
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:Florida State to fire Taggert and make a run at Urban Meyer? That would certainly reawaken the UF/FSU rivalry.

He's going to USC
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:Florida State to fire Taggert and make a run at Urban Meyer? That would certainly reawaken the UF/FSU rivalry.

He's going to USC
I thought he was going to the Cowboys
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Unread post by Wandering Quaker »

TUPF wrote:Rutgers has always been an also ran, and not just in sports. I think it has never outgrown its roots as a place for Jersey kids who had no prayer of getting into Princeton or any other nearby rich kid school, while still being close enough to have Mom do the laundry. It’s a shame because it’s facilities aren’t terrible. It’s more a state of mind. Demographics says it should have been a fit for a big time conference, the largest school in a densely populated state with a state legislature that mostly funds it well.

Maybe it’s Penn State envy. I don’t know. Every person I have known who graduated from Rutgers is almost apologetic about it.
Just because I feel like piling on Rutgers: about that historic 1869 football game. They like to remind folks that they defeated Princeton in that first-ever intercollegiate game 150 years ago. What they don't tell you is that later that Fall they went to Princeton to play a rematch and lost decisively, then lost the next thirty-two (!) games against Princeton, including one by a score of 82-0. Even during the infancy of college football, they were also-rans.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Wandering Quaker wrote:
TUPF wrote:Rutgers has always been an also ran, and not just in sports. I think it has never outgrown its roots as a place for Jersey kids who had no prayer of getting into Princeton or any other nearby rich kid school, while still being close enough to have Mom do the laundry. It’s a shame because it’s facilities aren’t terrible. It’s more a state of mind. Demographics says it should have been a fit for a big time conference, the largest school in a densely populated state with a state legislature that mostly funds it well.

Just because I feel like piling on Rutgers: about that historic 1869 football game. They like to remind folks that they defeated Princeton in that first-ever intercollegiate game 150 years ago. What they don't tell you is that later that Fall they went to Princeton to play a rematch and lost decisively, then lost the next thirty-two (!) games against Princeton, including one by a score of 82-0. Even during the infancy of college football, they were also-rans.
I mean hell if Bob Toledo can find a way to beat you...
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Taggert fired by FSU
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:Taggert fired by FSU