Tacko FAIL!

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Tacko FAIL!

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/tacko-tall ... 59864.html

seriously dude? You'd think being 7 foot 6, you'd be hyper aware of your surroundings. Pete, at your height, I'm sure you're always paying attention to ceilings!!
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: Tacko FAIL!

Unread post by TUPF »

My first commanding officer on my first submarine was 6’9”. He said he learned very early on that if he didn’t want constant stitches in his head, he stooped everywhere he walked onboard. Most submarine overheads (ceilings) are under 7 feet and with valves and wires everywhere (on purpose so that no one ever loses sight of how dangerous an environment we were in, plus easier access), anyone over 6’5”, beware.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

The obvious detail here (that I'm sure was purposely left out for dramatic effect) is that MOST LIKELY there is a dropped soffit over the sinks in the restrooms. I am sure the restroom ceilings are not 7'6 or shorter, but it sounds better in clickbait print to say "I can't believe a facility made for tall people would have short ceilings!!". Soffits over sinks (and other items which you bend over to use, such as drinking fountains) are not uncommon - I run into this a lot in my work - no pun intended.

Many times I have found myself leaning over a sink to wash my hands and as I stand up I clip the edge of the low-hanging soffit. It would be worse (by 8") for Fall.

And yes, I am very accustomed to slightly ducking through doorways and such, even when I don't need to do so. I learned the hard way when I first got to "danger height" (junior year of high school, a run-in with one of those old cast-iron pneumatic door closers). Ouch.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Well played, Poseidon.

Yeah, the ducking has to be greatly exaggerated when wearing a hat or helmet. I often wear a hardhat at job sites and then I REALLY have to duck.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

TUPF wrote:My first commanding officer on my first submarine was 6’9”. He said he learned very early on that if he didn’t want constant stitches in his head, he stooped everywhere he walked onboard. Most submarine overheads (ceilings) are under 7 feet and with valves and wires everywhere (on purpose so that no one ever loses sight of how dangerous an environment we were in, plus easier access), anyone over 6’5”, beware.
When I went into the submarine service, you needed a waiver if you were over 6'3. That was for conventional boats, though--I imagine nukes have slightly more headroom, so the parameters could be different.
We had one guy from Slidell (named Randy), who was 6'5" and an avid scuba diver. He did did so well in all the tests, and he was so gung-ho about submarines, that he was able to get a waiver. We enlisted on the same day and were close buddies through our first stint at New London.
But then we went to sea on a "real" boat (we trained on the USS Batfish, which was a WWII boat moored at the Algiers Navy Yard, but they flew us to Key West for a boat that could actually get underway). The first time we submerged, Randy completely freaked out! His claustrophobia was so bad, and he was so big compared to everyone else aboard, it took 6 guys to hold him down so the corpsman could sedate him. We never saw him again after that. I was told he went aboard a destroyer.
As for me, I loved the boats, but when they told me I would have to go nuclear after commissioning, I didn't like the idea of extended underwater deployments. So I went into the SeaBees instead.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

When my son's HS band was in Tournament of Roses the band chartered a 747 for the trip. The charter airline had obtained it from All-Nippon airlines (or one of the other non-JAL airlines), and the Capitain was kind enough to give the two band Drs a tour so we knew what was available for medical issues (really cool).

Behind the pilot's seats are bunks, to allow relief crews to switch out on the long haul flights; Because it was built for a Japanese airline, the spaces were under 6 feet in length. I don't know if planes for airlines with American crews (read as probably taller, on average) had the same short bunks, but it certainly would be tough for anyone over 5' 8" to sleeps comfortably. The flight attendants also had a small compartment above the back kitchen areas of the plane, also designed for shorter staff.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

PeteRasche wrote:Well played, Poseidon.

Yeah, the ducking has to be greatly exaggerated when wearing a hat or helmet. I often wear a hardhat at job sites and then I REALLY have to duck.
As you know, baseball caps will get you too. They block just enough of the upper peripheral vision to cause problems. I am 6'4 and have doinked my head plenty.
AO Sig wrote:When my son's HS band was in Tournament of Roses the band chartered a 747 for the trip. The charter airline had obtained it from All-Nippon airlines (or one of the other non-JAL airlines), and the Capitain was kind enough to give the two band Drs a tour so we knew what was available for medical issues (really cool).

Behind the pilot's seats are bunks, to allow relief crews to switch out on the long haul flights; Because it was built for a Japanese airline, the spaces were under 6 feet in length. I don't know if planes for airlines with American crews (read as probably taller, on average) had the same short bunks, but it certainly would be tough for anyone over 5' 8" to sleeps comfortably. The flight attendants also had a small compartment above the back kitchen areas of the plane, also designed for shorter staff.
Yes I have friends who have had Japanese and Korean sports cars. I learned quickly they were made for 5'8 Japanese and Korean Businessmen.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by BC Wave »

Poseidon wrote:
As you know, baseball caps will get you too. They block just enough of the upper peripheral vision to cause problems. I am 6'4 and have doinked my head plenty.
Mama says don’t wear a hat indoors! ;)
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Roller wrote:We had one guy from Slidell (named Randy), who was 6'5" and an avid scuba diver. He did did so well in all the tests, and he was so gung-ho about submarines, that he was able to get a waiver. We enlisted on the same day and were close buddies through our first stint at New London.
But then we went to sea on a "real" boat (we trained on the USS Batfish, which was a WWII boat moored at the Algiers Navy Yard, but they flew us to Key West for a boat that could actually get underway). The first time we submerged, Randy completely freaked out! His claustrophobia was so bad, and he was so big compared to everyone else aboard, it took 6 guys to hold him down so the corpsman could sedate him. We never saw him again after that. I was told he went aboard a destroyer. As for me, I loved the boats, but when they told me I would have to go nuclear after commissioning, I didn't like the idea of extended underwater deployments. So I went into the SeaBees instead.
Both for the best. I never had a Randy situation on any of my boats but maybe by the time I was around, the screening process on nukes caught most of those guys while still in the training pipeline. Like most submariners, I’m a little off. Underway submerged deep at a full or flank bell was particularly comforting because all of the ships machinery combines in an enveloping white noise kind of like what people buy ambient sleep machines for. On inport duty days when I was the Command Duty Officer and my wife would visit for dinner, she could only take being aboard for about an hour before the heebee-jeebees set in. Sitting the the wardroom, she was below the waterline. It’s not for everyone.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

You Navy guys are starting to take over threads like food or uniform discussions! :lol: :lol: :lol:
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:You Navy guys are starting to take over threads like food or uniform discussions! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Beat Navy. 8)
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Unread post by Cheerleader »

I spent two cruises aboard an aircraft carrier. The only head bangers we had were the "knee knockers" between frames. I hit my feet more than my head. More room than a sub, I am sure.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

Cheerleader wrote:I spent two cruises aboard an aircraft carrier. The only head bangers we had were the "knee knockers" between frames. I hit my feet more than my head. More room than a sub, I am sure.
I got pretty adept at rasing my knee high and ducking my head low every time I passed through a bulkhead hatch.
But I still bump my head a lot. even though I'm "only" 6'1" (well, 6'0", nowadays, with shrinkage). I suspect my brain scan would tend toward "Mohammed Ali" territory, considering all the minor concussions I've given myself on boats, trailers and car doors.
And just for you, Pete, I'm trying to think of something to say about food or uniforms, but my damaged mental state has me drawing a blank.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

TUPF wrote:...I never had a Randy situation on any of my boats but maybe by the time I was around, the screening process on nukes caught most of those guys while still in the training pipeline. ...
I've always wondered how he could go diving (even occasionally in a hard hat), through the "blow 'n' go" tower, and through the compression chamber without triggering his phobia. I asked my sister who is a PhD Psychologist about it, but I got her typical response, that goes something like "the mind is a strange thing; who knows what's going on in there?" (she's got a couple of debilitating
phobias of her own, but she tunes me out when I say "Physician, heal thyself!")
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

Roller wrote:
TUPF wrote:...I never had a Randy situation on any of my boats but maybe by the time I was around, the screening process on nukes caught most of those guys while still in the training pipeline. ...
I've always wondered how he could go diving (even occasionally in a hard hat), through the "blow 'n' go" tower, and through the compression chamber without triggering his phobia. I asked my sister who is a PhD Psychologist about it, but I got her typical response, that goes something like "the mind is a strange thing; who knows what's going on in there?" (she's got a couple of debilitating

I had a shoulder MRI years ago... head first into the torpedo tube... only problem I had was when my nose was itchy and they were taking an image.. I was supposed to be able to communicate with the attendant, who apparently stepped away during my itching... I flinched a bit and a couple of images were blurry. This was 20 years ago. I wonder now if I could stand an hour head first in the torpedo tube (my last 2 MRIs were on my knees and were feet first) and I don't think I could. I guess I was braver when I was younger.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Roller wrote:
I never had a problem, although there was a time when I was closing out a main ballast tank after being in drydock for some repairs (first an enlisted man, then an officer, are required to sign off that any space/tank/void is free from tools, etc. prior to flood down), and I got mildly stuck. I had visions of them finding me as a skeleton years later. :o Some of those tank crevices are pretty tight.