MLB postseason thread

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: MLB postseason thread

Post by TUPF »

sr wrote:don't mean to advertise, but Bud Light was pretty quick with this - you needed to have watched the game or at least a replay.

I didn’t watch the game but it starred in the human interest portion of NBC Nightly News this evening. They said it was $12 a can. :lol:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

sr wrote:don't mean to advertise, but Bud Light was pretty quick with this - you needed to have watched the game or at least a replay.

He not only saved his beers, but he was able to slide in front of the woman next to him, blocking the ball from hitting her.
Real men of genius
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Let's be honest, the real story is the two ladies who made an attempt to draw attention to their website by showing off what their website has from seats behind the plate.

And of course, in our modern world, they succeeded with flying colors. One local radio show I had on in the car this morning was having one of them on live later this morning. I suspect they are all booked solid with calls to radio shows across the country. I guess today this is what is called "successful advertising".
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

just curious, if someone wins the World Series and nobody watches it, does it count?

This will go down as the lowest rated World Series in history... lower than SF v Detroit in 2012.. games 4 and 5 were below a 6 household rating with barely over 10 million viewers
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Johnny Mac wrote:just curious, if someone wins the World Series and nobody watches it, does it count?

This will go down as the lowest rated World Series in history... lower than SF v Detroit in 2012.. games 4 and 5 were below a 6 household rating with barely over 10 million viewers
Except in Metro Washington.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

It sure will count to whichever fan base wins. Who cares what ratings say? The sport is doing fine as a whole and seeing two non-traditional powers playing for the title is good for the sport as a whole. I'm sure it'll be back to Yankees-Dodgers next year.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:It sure will count to whichever fan base wins. Who cares what ratings say? The sport is doing fine as a whole and seeing two non-traditional powers playing for the title is good for the sport as a whole. I'm sure it'll be back to Yankees-Dodgers next year.
Ah yes, the good old days of 77/78.
:twisted:
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

gerryb323 wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:It sure will count to whichever fan base wins. Who cares what ratings say? The sport is doing fine as a whole and seeing two non-traditional powers playing for the title is good for the sport as a whole. I'm sure it'll be back to Yankees-Dodgers next year.
Ah yes, the good old days of 77/78.
:twisted:
:lol: Made me chuckle. I was just using those as proxies for the blue bloods/big markets of the sport. We weren't far from that actual match up this year. We're one year out from a Red Sox championship after all.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Who cares what ratings say? The sport is doing fine as a whole
Is it? It's easy to think everyone is still rabid when your team is in the World Series and all you see is fandom ...
I mean, I love professional baseball, but TV ratings are way down from even a decade ago (save for the years when something special happens, like when the Cubs finally made it to the Series and won). MLB keeps tinkering with rules almost annually to attempt to "solve" the problem. I know polls are polls and a large grain of salt is required, but everything I've seen says Millennials aren't into baseball. I live in a serious baseball town but the new MLS team is outdrawing the baseball team almost every game (except bobblehead nights... Good Lord, gotta get a bobblehead!)

I still try to take my kids to games several times a year but since neither of them are interested in playing despite my efforts (and therefore don't know the rules), an outing is basically an excuse to eat junk food and watch the scoreboard for about 90 minutes before getting bored and wanting to leave. They don't care a bit about what's going on on the field, because there's too much dead time between plays, and I refuse to give them my phone to play with.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Baseball is just a different animal nowadays. Every team has a regional network deal and there are hardly national games any more. I think Fox and ESPN each do one per week. Big fans do the MLB.tv thing or similar, which also doesn't figure into ratings. Why should anyone else care about the 'Stros and Nats when they have hardly been seen on a national stage? There's not really much storyline there for the casual fan. Heck, how many non-baseball fans could name the Washington team or even knew there was a team in Washington? Even I, a big baseball fan with MLB.tv plan, have only been watching the World Series sporadically. Mostly it's been: check the score after I get the kids down to bed, see if it's close, and watch the last 3 innings if it is.
With so many more entertainment options, your have to really want to watch something.
But baseball is doing fine. The owners are making money. The players are making money. The stories are all about juiced balls and blowhard executives. What more could you want?!
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Pete, I don't think everyone is still rabid for baseball as they once were. Way too many other options for entertainment as gerry and you both point out. World Series games are always sold out so that would be a silly way to evaluate fan fervor, but you also can't use regular season baseball games for a franchise that's bad as Cincinnati is as your only reference point either. I believe that with few exceptions (ahem Tampa Bay Rays playing in St. Pete), fans will follow a winner in all sports. If the Reds suddenly started playing well, fans would show up for that.

I base my assertion of baseball's health on one thing and one thing only. Money. TV contracts for baseball are bigger now than they've ever been. Regional networks get more games on TV than ever before. MLB is considering expansion to new areas. Baseball doesn't have to be as popular as it once was to still be healthy because it's still making loads of money. I will be worried about the sport when that money starts to shift the other direction.

My response was also to JohnnyMac's post which didn't seem to serve much purpose except as a drive by shot at two teams that aren't historical powers. Maybe I'm just touchy.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

I'm still wondering why the Brewers (who were in the American League) were moved to the National League only to have the Astros (who were in the National League) move to the American
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:I'm still wondering why the Brewers (who were in the American League) were moved to the National League only to have the Astros (who were in the National League) move to the American
Rangers Astros

Cubs Brewers

Realignment from expansion and expanding the playoff
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

windywave wrote:
krewe of ham and eggs wrote:I'm still wondering why the Brewers (who were in the American League) were moved to the National League only to have the Astros (who were in the National League) move to the American
Rangers Astros

Cubs Brewers

Would've made more sense to do it at the same time instead of 15 years apart
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
windywave wrote:
Rangers Astros

Cubs Brewers

It was to have an even number of teams in each league(by even I mean 14 and 16). That worked real well for scheduling purposes. The effects of today's uneven(15 al and 15 nl) is that there is always an inter-league match-up going on. Before inter-league wasn't necessary, but now it is unless teams have off series, three days no games, while other 14 teams play each other. However if they did that it would extend the regular season by two more weeks. The thought by many is adding an expansion team in each league would even things out. The reluctance to add expansion teams is actually also a sign of the lack of growth for the league overall.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote:
Rangers Astros

Cubs Brewers

Bud Selig's hard-on for the Milwaukee Braves good old days is why the Brewers moved AL to NL when the Diamondbacks and Devil Rays joined in '98. And also keeping even numbers in each league so there didn't have to be interleague play every day. Then, of course, they threw the interleague thing out the window to shift the Astros NL to AL so there could be balanced schedules for each division (6 five-team divisions vs 4 with 5 and a 6-team and 4-team). Now it would be fair to ask, "why not just move the Brewers back?". Well that's partly still the Selig effect. But also I believe the Astros volunteered, since American league ball with the DH is better and the future of the game.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Rangers Astros

Cubs Brewers

the DH is better and the future of the game.
Apostate
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Rangers Astros

Cubs Brewers

the DH is better and the future of the game.
Apostate
All my childhood days I followed the Red Sox, the Yankees, the Orioles, so I identified with the AL, even when the DH came in. It’s all I knew. Then once my stomping grounds shifted to Philly in the early 90s I started watching the NL brand more back before interleague play. I came to appreciate the NL strategy more even if it meant not pulling a pitcher for a pinch hitter late and giving up a sure out by having my ace still pitching. Heck, having the occasional game wrecking hit by a pitcher made it sweeter. I came to view DH as a parking place for washed up or not good enough fielders.

So color me a reformed DH person—always preferring the strategy of the NL game,
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Rangers Astros

Cubs Brewers

Bud Selig's hard-on for the Milwaukee Braves good old days is why the Brewers moved AL to NL when the Diamondbacks and Devil Rays joined in '98. And also keeping even numbers in each league so there didn't have to be interleague play every day. Then, of course, they threw the interleague thing out the window to shift the Astros NL to AL so there could be balanced schedules for each division (6 five-team divisions vs 4 with 5 and a 6-team and 4-team). Now it would be fair to ask, "why not just move the Brewers back?". Well that's partly still the Selig effect. But also I believe the Astros volunteered, since American league ball with the DH is better and the future of the game.
Close, but it was at least as much his hard-on for money and being in the same division as the Cubs.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

There goes my interest
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

terrible umps unless they overturn this
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Yankeewave wrote:terrible umps unless they overturn this
This is amazing. I don't think this is reviewable. Someone is finishing under protest either way
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Exactly what should have happened in Saints-Rams though
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Huge BS
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Exhibit 72 in why baseball has lost the casual fan. Let's watch a 10 minute review to uphold an obvious wrong call!