MLB postseason thread

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Re: MLB postseason thread

Unread post by Yankeewave »

it is a reasonable rule, but that was a bad application of the rule. he was in the middle of the bag. i used to umpire little league and that rule always gave me fits but i don't see how that was a violation.

anyways, former Rice Owl Rendon takes the heat off the umpires with his HR
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

If you want people to run outside the line, use the softball style double base.
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

Why pull Strasberg?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

2001 World Series: Randy Johnson throws 104 pitches in game 6. Comes back the next night and throws 1 and a third innings for the game 7 win.
Tonight: Strasburg threw.........104 pitches
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

TUPF wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:just curious, if someone wins the World Series and nobody watches it, does it count?

This will go down as the lowest rated World Series in history... lower than SF v Detroit in 2012.. games 4 and 5 were below a 6 household rating with barely over 10 million viewers
Except in Metro Washington.
Same in Houston. Bars are jammed packed. Have had a great time. Hope the Stros can pull out game 7.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

TUPF wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:just curious, if someone wins the World Series and nobody watches it, does it count?

This will go down as the lowest rated World Series in history... lower than SF v Detroit in 2012.. games 4 and 5 were below a 6 household rating with barely over 10 million viewers
Except in Metro Washington.
Same in Houston. Bars are jammed packed. Have had a great time. Hope the Stros can pull out game 7.
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

gerryb323 wrote:2001 World Series: Randy Johnson throws 104 pitches in game 6. Comes back the next night and throws 1 and a third innings for the game 7 win.
If you wanted him available for game 7, then why have him start the 9th??
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

With Scherzer going, Corbin and Sanchez on short but decent rest and the bullpen rested) Strasburg shouldn't have to pitch in Game 7. If all those guys can't get it done, the game is probably out of reach anyway. But what do I know, I was hoping the Nats could stretch this to 6 games so they've already exceeded my expectations.

I know we have at least a couple of Astros fans here and I don't wish them any ill will. In fact the first MLB game I saw in person was in Minute Maid against the Phillies. Charlie Manuel got ejected and Hunter Pence hit a walk off home run in the 13th with 4th of July fireworks going off afterwards. It was a really cool moment. But with all that said, it would be so, so sweet for the Nats to hoist the trophy. This is the closest I've ever been to seeing one of "my" teams win a championship.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:With Scherzer going, Corbin and Sanchez on short but decent rest and the bullpen rested) Strasburg shouldn't have to pitch in Game 7. If all those guys can't get it done, the game is probably out of reach anyway. But what do I know, I was hoping the Nats could stretch this to 6 games so they've already exceeded my expectations.

I know we have at least a couple of Astros fans here and I don't wish them any ill will. In fact the first MLB game I saw in person was in Minute Maid against the Phillies. Charlie Manuel got ejected and Hunter Pence hit a walk off home run in the 13th with 4th of July fireworks going off afterwards. It was a really cool moment. But with all that said, it would be so, so sweet for the Nats to hoist the trophy. This is the closest I've ever been to seeing one of "my" teams win a championship.
And if they do, don’t let the moment pass. Go to the parade. Revel in it. Don’t take for granted. You never know if and when it might happen again (Phillies 2008, Eagles 2018 parades were a blast but it’s going to be a long time for more.).
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

MattK wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:2001 World Series: Randy Johnson throws 104 pitches in game 6. Comes back the next night and throws 1 and a third innings for the game 7 win.
Why not let him finish?
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

gerryb323 wrote:
MattK wrote:
Why not let him finish?
That was my initial question. Pulling him didn’t make sense to me.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

MattK wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
MattK wrote:
Why not let him finish?
That was my initial question. Pulling him didn’t make sense to me.
Sounds like we've answered it. Thanks Socrates!
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

What. A. Series.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

As a big Astro fan, congratulations to the Nat fans. When we won our first title two years ago, I know how you feel. Regarding the game tonight, cannot believe Hinch pilled Greinke. He is throwing a two hitter through 6.1 innings on 80 pitches. When does the heart overrule analytics. You pull a future Hall of Famer in game 7. Very disappointing. But congratulations, go to the parade, and soak in everything. It is so difficult to achieve and such a grind.

One other note, if Cole refused to go in after warming up, he is the biggest puzzy in the world. I don’t know what happened yet, but he did warm up and he never appeared in the game. That was shocking to me.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Agree that Hinch may have pushed one too many buttons by pulling Grienke.

Hinch said after the game, Cole was to pitch if Astros had the lead or were tied late to close the game. Didn't happen so he sat.

Interesting if I recall Grover Alexander relieved in the middle of the seventh inning and he closed as the Cards won game 7 against the Yankees. Alexander had won Game 6 but still had enough left the next game. Perhaps Hinch should have channeled his inner Hornsby and done the same with Cole?

P.S., No neither FS54 nor I attended that game in 1926.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Baywave1 wrote:Agree that Hinch may have pushed one too many buttons by pulling Grienke.

Hinch said after the game, Cole was to pitch if Astros had the lead or were tied late to close the game. Didn't happen so he sat.

Interesting if I recall Grover Alexander relieved in the middle of the seventh inning and he closed as the Cards won game 7 against the Yankees. Alexander had won Game 6 but still had enough left the next game. Perhaps Hinch should have channeled his inner Hornsby and done the same with Cole?

P.S., No neither FS54 nor I attended that game in 1926.
It's funny you went there and I made the Randy Johnson 2001 comparison for Strasburg.
Well now Cole will be ready to pitch the pivotal game 8!
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

How many sofas were burned on K Street last night by the Nats band wagoners? :mrgreen:
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

happy for the Nationals, nice to see a new underdog win the Series.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

tjtlja wrote:As a big Astro fan, congratulations to the Nat fans. When we won our first title two years ago, I know how you feel. Regarding the game tonight, cannot believe Hinch pilled Greinke. He is throwing a two hitter through 6.1 innings on 80 pitches. When does the heart overrule analytics. You pull a future Hall of Famer in game 7. Very disappointing. But congratulations, go to the parade, and soak in everything. It is so difficult to achieve and such a grind.

One other note, if Cole refused to go in after warming up, he is the biggest puzzy in the world. I don’t know what happened yet, but he did warm up and he never appeared in the game. That was shocking to me.
Sounds like Hinch said he only wanted to use Cole with a lead. Good luck with that AJ!
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

tjtlja wrote:As a big Astro fan, congratulations to the Nat fans. When we won our first title two years ago, I know how you feel. Regarding the game tonight, cannot believe Hinch pilled Greinke. He is throwing a two hitter through 6.1 innings on 80 pitches. When does the heart overrule analytics. You pull a future Hall of Famer in game 7. Very disappointing. But congratulations, go to the parade, and soak in everything. It is so difficult to achieve and such a grind.

tj, I agree I was shocked Greinke was pulled when he was and I was equally shocked that Cole didn't come in to slam the door. I haven't heard anything about him not wanting to come in, but if that's true it is pretty sorry on his part.

I really hated to win at the Astros expense because in many ways their history is similar to the Nationals. Would've much rather deprived the Yankees or Red Sox of a title than the Astros, especially given what an outstanding team Houston was this year. I'm under no illusions the Nationals are the more complete team, they were just better and luckier in 4/7 the last couple of weeks. I know that doesn't help much, but I believe it.

One thing I will say, they need to go to automated balls and strikes calls yesterday. Leave an umpire behind home to call plays at the plate, but don't let them have such an inconsistent impact on games. There were missed strike/ball calls for both sides, but the punch out of Correa in the 8th when the margin was still just 2 runs was horrible. "Strike 3" was waaaay inside. Just electronically set the zone and let the call pop up on the outfield scoreboard so batters can know the count. In addition to the weird Trea Turner interference out in Game 6, the umpires really didn't do justice to this series.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Is this the first World Series where the home team lost every game? I'm guessing no since it seems like more of a big deal would be made but I don't follow MLB and haven't really read beyond headlines.
Victory is never permanent
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

OGSB wrote:Is this the first World Series where the home team lost every game? I'm guessing no since it seems like more of a big deal would be made but I don't follow MLB and haven't really read beyond headlines.
I heard it was the first time it has ever happened in any major sports championship series.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Poseidon wrote:
OGSB wrote:Is this the first World Series where the home team lost every game? I'm guessing no since it seems like more of a big deal would be made but I don't follow MLB and haven't really read beyond headlines.
I heard it was the first time it has ever happened in any major sports championship series.
Yep, first across all American professional sports
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Outlaw, congratulations on the victory. The Nats were so clutch in the late innings. You guys deserved it. Nothing like calling yourself World Champions!

Especially happy for Mr. Rendon. He played against my oldest son. Best high school and college hitter I have ever seen.

And what do you think Bryce Harper is thinking right now. The Nats were so much better without him.