California bill allows athletes to be paid

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Roller
Cornerstone

Re: California bill allows athletes to be paid

Unread post by Roller »

I say:
If they're gonna be professionals, let the teams be organized and funded as professional. Stop the charade that they are representing academic institutions. Create a minor league of NFL affiliates, just as mlb did. Let the schools stick to academics and forget about the whole "school spirit" baloney.

At Tulane, a scholarship represents a rather impressive salary for an 18-year old.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Roller wrote:I say:
If they're gonna be professionals, let the teams be organized and funded as professional. Stop the charade that they are representing academic institutions. Create a minor league of NFL affiliates, just as mlb did. Let the schools stick to academics and forget about the whole "school spirit" baloney.

At Tulane, a scholarship represents a rather impressive salary for an 18-year old.
Ok
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Please send future such missives to the attention of Roger Goodell, c/o NFL.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

It's not requiring they be paid, but allowing it.
Roller wrote:At Tulane, a scholarship represents a rather impressive salary for an 18-year old.
And costs the school very little, as would the result of the bill.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

NCAA board of governors getting on board
PJR
Breaker Level

Unread post by PJR »

Bad idea. This will hurt the sport's programs of many schools around the country.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

How much will it hurt Tulane?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

I don't see why it will hurt
doncecco
President's Circle

Unread post by doncecco »

gerryb323 wrote:I don't see why it will hurt
Because an athlete who might consider going to Tulane or other G5 school now has to consider that even playing for South Carolina or Indiana, say, will afford them more opportunity for his name/mug to be on national broadcasts when those teams play Bama or OSU, and therefore a greater opportunity to cash in on the rule change on earnings from their likeness.
Bring home da Wave!
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

doncecco wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:I don't see why it will hurt
Because an athlete who might consider going to Tulane or other G5 school now has to consider that even playing for South Carolina or Indiana, say, will afford them more opportunity for his name/mug to be on national broadcasts when those teams play Bama or OSU, and therefore a greater opportunity to cash in on the rule change on earnings from their likeness.
Or it will allow schools like Tulane an avenue to get players money legally to compete with all the P5 schools who were paying players illegally
PJR
Breaker Level

Unread post by PJR »

It will force Tulane and other similar schools to eventually drop their sports programs or turn to Division 3 because the costs will become so high that they will never be able to compete with other major programs with large alumnus and donor bases.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

PJR wrote:It will force Tulane and other similar schools to eventually drop their sports programs or turn to Division 3 because the costs will become so high that they will never be able to compete with other major programs with large alumnus and donor bases.
This is no added cost to the schools themselves
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

You can go to Tulane and start a YouTube channel (and even talk about something interesting) and have 1000 followers and not make a cent. Or you can go to {insert name of any decently large P5 school} and start a YouTube channel where you do nothing but say "what's up" every day and have hundreds of thousands of followers and probably make a lot of money just because you are a player on that team.

In other words, the unfairness is already baked into the scheme. The schools that have been good and have large, rabid fanbases can literally sell their recruits on how many followers they'll get on social media and how much money that translates into. Think about Notre Dame. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions. BYU... if that's allowed (I don't know). Bama, Ohio State, Texas. The rich will get richer without the school spending a cent. This is a P5 school dream.

Of course, there's also the possibility of players trying to get internet famous (and having a bigger audience from the start) and doing something really dumb to get attention. I just can't wait for the weekly "best social media post" segment during the game I'm watching.
doncecco
President's Circle

Unread post by doncecco »

To clarify my stance, I actually support this in principle. Conference officials, school admins, and coaches all line their pockets heavily at the athletes' expense. For the athlete, this gives them a little piece of the massive pie.

But I agree with Pete that it will hurt non-national and non-rabid regional programs, and that means us.
Bring home da Wave!
PJR
Breaker Level

Unread post by PJR »

I think this would be the beginning of the end of college sports as it has existed for over 100 years. It will start with the destruction of programs like Tulane and other similar schools. However, the concern for making more and more money would eventually destroy the very fabric of all college sports programs.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

PeteRasche wrote:You can go to Tulane and start a YouTube channel (and even talk about something interesting) and have 1000 followers and not make a cent. Or you can go to {insert name of any decently large P5 school} and start a YouTube channel where you do nothing but say "what's up" every day and have hundreds of thousands of followers and probably make a lot of money just because you are a player on that team.

In other words, the unfairness is already baked into the scheme. The schools that have been good and have large, rabid fan-bases can literally sell their recruits on how many followers they'll get on social media and how much money that translates into. Think about Notre Dame. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions. BYU... if that's allowed (I don't know). Bama, Ohio State, Texas. The rich will get richer without the school spending a cent. This is a P5 school dream.

Of course, there's also the possibility of players trying to get internet famous (and having a bigger audience from the start) and doing something really dumb to get attention. I just can't wait for the weekly "best social media post" segment during the game I'm watching.
I don't see how this gives a bigger recruiting advantage than they already have. I worry it may make a big difference in the transfer market. How so? Say a red-shirt Junior at a G5 school is all-conference. He might be more likely to grad transfer to a school where he can make money off of his likeness more easily. I do think there is a negative side to this as well. You touched on it a little. This can expose the players to more ways to be negatively impacted. I also think it may divide the locker room some in places where teams are not doing so well. It certainly incentivizes the self promotion aspect. I think that will be the biggest change for fans. Now many players will be worried about their "brand." That will take some getting used to.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:You can go to Tulane and start a YouTube channel (and even talk about something interesting) and have 1000 followers and not make a cent. Or you can go to {insert name of any decently large P5 school} and start a YouTube channel where you do nothing but say "what's up" every day and have hundreds of thousands of followers and probably make a lot of money just because you are a player on that team.

In other words, the unfairness is already baked into the scheme. The schools that have been good and have large, rabid fanbases can literally sell their recruits on how many followers they'll get on social media and how much money that translates into. Think about Notre Dame. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions. BYU... if that's allowed (I don't know). Bama, Ohio State, Texas. The rich will get richer without the school spending a cent. This is a P5 school dream.

Wait, you mean to tell me this will lead to schools like Alabama and Ohio St getting all the good recruits? Whatever will we do?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Is this being stopped now?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Seems like the consensus is that this will be the death of programs like Tulane. I presume this could be a very quick process. Great, lots to look forward to.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

tjtlja wrote:Seems like the consensus is that this will be the death of programs like Tulane. I presume this could be a very quick process. Great, lots to look forward to.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

tjtlja wrote:Seems like the consensus is that this will be the death of programs like Tulane. I presume this could be a very quick process. Great, lots to look forward to.
The consensus on here was also that the transfer portal was going to be the death of our program. I wouldn't spend much time worrying about it.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Poseidon wrote:

In other words, the unfairness is already baked into the scheme. The schools that have been good and have large, rabid fan-bases can literally sell their recruits on how many followers they'll get on social media and how much money that translates into. Think about Notre Dame. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions. BYU... if that's allowed (I don't know). Bama, Ohio State, Texas. The rich will get richer without the school spending a cent. This is a P5 school dream.

I don't see how this gives a bigger recruiting advantage than they already have. I worry it may make a big difference in the transfer market. How so? Say a red-shirt Junior at a G5 school is all-conference. He might be more likely to grad transfer to a school where he can make money off of his likeness more easily. I do think there is a negative side to this as well. You touched on it a little. This can expose the players to more ways to be negatively impacted. I also think it may divide the locker room some in places where teams are not doing so well. It certainly incentivizes the self promotion aspect. I think that will be the biggest change for fans. Now many players will be worried about their "brand." That will take some getting used to.
Agree with all your observations. The "branding" thing especially. I'm still amazed that there is a "job" called being an "influencer" where you can make 6 figures or more, and I'd certainly say that the top recruits are going to see this as an opportunity if they are playing for a big "brand" school.

As far as a "bigger" advantage, I guess it's sorta semantics to say it's gonna grow when it really can't get much bigger, right? 8) But nonetheless, if being able to say "come here and you will make more money than if you went there"... that's a clear and distinct advantage, isn't it? At some point (probably immediately?), teams will have analysts looking at how much money their football players make from their likenesses and using those stats as a recruiting angle. "Our players have made on average $X,000 more per year from social media than the players for {other team recruiting the kid}". Yeah, they already have immense advantages, but I don't agree that this won't affect *anything*.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

gerryb323 wrote:

Is this being stopped now?
It is if they're turning a profit from it. There was a fairly recent case involving (I think; my memory might be faulty as to details) a Florida State player who was making money off of YouTube who lost his eligibility.