Wednesday, Nov. 13, is early hoops signing day

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
randymc
President's Circle

Wednesday, Nov. 13, is early hoops signing day

Unread post by randymc »

Wed. starts the one-week early signing period. Look for Sion James, 6-4, PG out of Sugar Hill, Ga., to sign early next week (Monday Nov. 18) with Coach Hunter (based on Twitter accounts); and (On Nov. 13th) Kenzi Carter a 6-1 F from Texas (Fort Worth Country Day HS) has tweeted she will sign with the Wave women. For the women's team, there is also 5-9 guard Jerkaila Jordan out of John Curtis (a top 50 national recruit). I am not sure of the exact signing date for Jordan or for men's recruit/commitment Jadan Coleman out of Huntsville, Ala.
randymc
President's Circle

Re: Wednesday, Nov. 13, is early hoops signing day

Unread post by randymc »

Update:
women's basketball recruits JerKaila Jordan and Kenzi Carter have signed officially with Tulane today, the first day of the fall signing period.
https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2019/1 ... tball.aspx
MNAlum
Coach Level

Unread post by MNAlum »

Minneapolis paper reported that RHP Blake Mahmood from Benilde St. Margaret's will sign with the Green Wave today.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

MNAlum wrote:Minneapolis paper reported that RHP Blake Mahmood from Benilde St. Margaret's will sign with the Green Wave today.
Right handed point guard?!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

Tulane men's basketball signee Jadan Coleman, a 6-4 Guard with incredible 3-pt range, has officially signed today on Day 1 -- Twitter posts confirm it. Coleman is from Huntsville, Ala.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

When's the last time we got a national top 50 recruit in any sport? Both of the women's recruits look spectacular but top 50 in the country is :shock:

No accident Barbara Farris is her high school coach.
MNAlum
Coach Level

Unread post by MNAlum »

gerryb323 wrote:
MNAlum wrote:Minneapolis paper reported that RHP Blake Mahmood from Benilde St. Margaret's will sign with the Green Wave today.
Right handed point guard?!
Whoops, I missed the word hoops.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

Jadan and Sien would give us a Shooting Guard and a new PG.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Sion James’ HS Twitter said he signed yesterday, fwiw.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Randy, do you think we will sign any additional recruits in the early period (men’s BB)? Any names we should be following besides Matthew Cleveland? Thanks
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

tjtlja wrote:Randy, do you think we will sign any additional recruits in the early period (men’s BB)? Any names we should be following besides Matthew Cleveland? Thanks
the big question is "will we have spots?" Only Thomas and Thompson are seniors... the feeling is KJ Lawson is only doing 1 season... but I haven't seen anything that screams "pro ready" in his first two games.. he's good and I'm glad he's on our team... but he needs to ratchet it up a lot to grab the attention of scouts.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

as far as I know, Coleman and James will be the signees for fall; Cleveland is a 2021 recruit so he won't sign with anyone til a year from now. one guy for spring I am loosely keeping track of is 6-7 F Ronnie DeGray III, who is attending prep school and has some family Lafayette, La., connections.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

I would guess we see another grad transfer arriving next season because it appears to be working this year. Transfer portal goes both ways so perhaps someone leaves this team if they are not happy with playing time or coach's encouragement or whatever.

I'll also be surprised if ROE stays. He has played on French national junior teams (U18 and/or U20?) if I recall. European pro league next?

I also expected Zhang to go pro in Asia but with the Shanghai trip, I would guess he stays.

If it weren't for roster (and Hunter!) jumping, we'd have about ten folks at games this year. watching a 300th ranked team, literally. So I'm hoping it keeps working in Wave's favor.

All just swagging…...
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Johnny Mac wrote:
tjtlja wrote:Randy, do you think we will sign any additional recruits in the early period (men’s BB)? Any names we should be following besides Matthew Cleveland? Thanks
the big question is "will we have spots?" Only Thomas and Thompson are seniors... the feeling is KJ Lawson is only doing 1 season... but I haven't seen anything that screams "pro ready" in his first two games.. he's good and I'm glad he's on our team... but he needs to ratchet it up a lot to grab the attention of scouts.
Lawson will need an injury redshirt waiver thingy for his freshman year if he wasn't too play next year. He's used up his 5 to play 4 after this season. He played 10 games his freshman year at Memphis before getting hurt and he sat a year at Kansas due to transfer. Dude is already 23.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Embo's star seems to have dimmed this year. Much less playing time than he had under MD. And quite frankly, Walker is a much better PG. Embo just looks unhappy out there and Hunter seems frustrated with him. Especially on Defense. And we did just sign 3 Star (per Rivals) PG, so..............
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Truthfully it never shined. We clearly needed to upgrade the position and we have.
We deserve so much better
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Unread post by angrywavedad »

GreenieBacker wrote:Embo's star seems to have dimmed this year. Much less playing time than he had under MD. And quite frankly, Walker is a much better PG. Embo just looks unhappy out there and Hunter seems frustrated with him. Especially on Defense. And we did just sign 3 Star (per Rivals) PG, so..............
The only person who ever said ROE was a great player was Dunleavy when blaming the team's poor season on Ray's absence.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Let’s not pile on the kid while he’s down. Not making excuses but he is a kid, in a different country speaking English as a second language, who got hurt and now finds himself riding the pine. That’s a lot to take in and I’m not sure many of us would have handled it well at that age.

Now it’s up to him to work harder, get his skills up to snuff, and fight for playing time. He’ll thank his 20-something self twenty years from now.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

TUPF wrote:Let’s not pile on the kid while he’s down. Not making excuses but he is a kid, in a different country speaking English as a second language, who got hurt and now finds himself riding the pine. That’s a lot to take in and I’m not sure many of us would have handled it well at that age.

Now it’s up to him to work harder, get his skills up to snuff, and fight for playing time. He’ll thank his 20-something self twenty years from now.
I've only had brief chats with ROE. He is an enjoyable guy who was really frustrated for himself and the team last season. Hunter could really use him this year as part of an effective eight man rotation. If Lawson, Hightower and Thompson average over 35 minutes per game in Hunter's high intensity style, they will be dead by mid-February. If Wave is truly to have a real turnaround this year, it needs ROE to step up. So far, the other players and especially Walker have beaten him out for playing time.* I hope it's just rust after sitting out a year but no doubt it helped him to be in Dunleavy's favor two years ago.

*As noted in another thread, Walker may be best Tulane point guard since Tarrant. He so far has capably filled a years long hole at that position.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

personally, I was looking forward to a two PG rotation between Walker and Embo. Walker smaller but quicker, Embo slower but bigger. And both have shown they can score. Each could have been effective in the right matchups. Unfortunately Embo has just not looked good. He hurts us when he's in there, hope its just rust.
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

Sion James, 6-4, G out of Georgia signed officially in a ceremony at his high school this afternoon for Tulane hoops. 2nd signee of the fall period.
https://twitter.com/LanierADNews/status ... 99/photo/1
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Sion is a 3 Star* PG (according to Rivals and 24/7)

*I've come to take the Star ratings in MBB, below the 4 and 5 Stars, with a massive grain of salt. Really have to trust to Staff's evaluation in these cases.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

GreenieBacker wrote:Sion is a 3 Star* PG (according to Rivals and 24/7)

*I've come to take the Star ratings in MBB, below the 4 and 5 Stars, with a massive grain of salt. Really have to trust to Staff's evaluation in these cases.
yeah, my buddy was non plussed about the signees, but has full faith that Hunter knows what he's doing.. I honestly think Sion James is underrated. He was a 6A North Georgia all star as a junior (big schools from the middle of Atlanta all the way to the northern border)... he was 6A region 8 player of the year as a junior. He's only going to get better this year and he's our signee.... sadly, the services won't upgrade him to a 4 star even if he is the Georgia state player of the year, this season.. because he already signed with us.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

The Coleman kid looks like a terrific pick-up also. Great shooter. So far, Coach Hunter has really done a remarkable job turning around the talent level.

Does anyone know what the staff think of the current freshmen- Russell, McGee, and Pope? Also, not seeing us play this year, how do Ali and Days look?
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

Days is the stud among the freshmen bunch (though Russell and McGee have played very very little since they are guard, SF guys behind upper class men). Days can be valuable cause of his 6-9" size, rebounding ability and basketball smarts. also 2 for 2 from three point range so far. He can be a 10-12 pts, 10 reb guy as he develops. I expect his minutes to grow as season goes on.