Coaching Carousel 2019-20

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Re: Coaching Carousel 2019-20

Post by Rotorooter »

The program will need donors, and not just the huge ones, to keep up. As the stakes get bigger, so does the need for a bigger budget. HC, assistants and the like. Fritz, for example, is the ninth highest paid HC in the AAC. He needs a raise. If Hall or Curtis develop into an elite coordinator, they'll need raises or they will leave for greener pastures. It's the nature of the business. That is what I meant.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Post by Saintgreenie »

Poseidon wrote:
Saintgreenie wrote:@BruceFeldmanCFB
Name that I'm hearing is pretty hot with some coaching searches ongoing right now is Tulane's Willie Fritz.

We all know we'll be hearing a lot more of this in the coming weeks. Hoping we can retain Willie, but I definitely don't want to lose both him and Hall. They'll both be getting a lot of attention.
I am OK with losing Hall.
I am too if we keep Fritz, but if Willie decides to walk, Hall needs to be heavily considered to be his replacement.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Hall is not ready for this job.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Re: Offseason Coaching Carousel 2019

Post by GretnaGrn »

Poseidon wrote:
waverider wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Radio Wave wrote:Fritz is perfect for Tulane. Can’t think of anyone I would rather have. As a fan since the late 50’s we must keep him. We simply can’t start over again. Everything is pointing in the right direction.
Fritz is good. I’ve got no real complaints about him, but I think you’re overstating some things
I agree with visual.

The first point I sort of agree but would say he’s “good” (I’ll even give you great) for Tulane and I do like what he’s done thus far. (I won’t hesitate to say we need to move on if we are clawing our way to 6-6 again).

The second point is opinion. I’d take a Nick Saban type that wants to stay put for years while winning conference championships (even if that turns out to be Willie Fritz).

If Dannen is going to earn his keep, he’d find a replacement that can build on what Fritz has done.

As LG said, a coach coming in now has an easier job than the one Fritz inherited.

I do agree that we are moving in a positive direction. Consecutive 6-6 seasons is an accomplishment because it’s only happened 3 times in 150 years, but being a consistent 6-win team isn’t an aspiration.
Remember we were a foot away from 6-6 two years ago. I am thankful for the bowls. I also realize there we are now a program who is a consistant 6-6 and not necessarily a program on the rise. That may not sound good, but it's the truth.

Next year wont be any easier. SMU will have everybody back. Memphis will have their talent back even if their coach isnt back. Navy get most of its players back. As does Temple and UCF from the east. At ECU will not be a pushover like uconn was this year. Then there is Northwestern and Mississippi state which will both be tough road games. Throw in road games at Houston and Tulsa. They way I see it we will have to be a better team next year to just get to 6 wins.

Remember even though we were 6-6 this year we finished 3-5 in conference.

CWF has talked about competing for championships, we better makes some moves this offseason.
Both Mississippi State and Northwestern won't be nearly as good as Auburn. MSU is on its way down and needed a pi$$y call against pathetic Ole Miss to become bowl eligible. Northwestern finished 3-9 and wasn't as good as that would imply. Don't be fooled by the P5 label.

That being said, I agree that consistent 6-6 isn't good enough. For THIS YEAR, consecutive bowl games is a positive sign and constitutes progress (although not progress of the sort we thought we had made halfway through the season). We need more next year.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Gretna, I'll take it a step further and say, we should expect to win at least one of NW and MS St. next year. NW in particular feels vulnerable. Really wish we had played them this year as I think we definitely would have won.

We haven't beaten a P5 since 2010 and that was Rutgers. In year 5 we need to be able to take out a middling to bad P5 school. Maybe one of those turns out to be much improved, but right now both seem getable.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Gretna, I'll take it a step further and say, we should expect to win at least one of NW and MS St. next year. NW in particular feels vulnerable. Really wish we had played them this year as I think we definitely would have won.

We haven't beaten a P5 since 2010 and that was Rutgers. In year 5 we need to be able to take out a middling to bad P5 school. Maybe one of those turns out to be much improved, but right now both seem getable.
I agree. It might be because I've seen a lot more of their games, but I think MSU is maybe even more beatable and is headed for a 2 win season next year. They are not a good football team, and are trending very sharply downward.
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Post by Wandering Quaker »

long green wrote:Hall is not ready for this job.
Indeed. He hasn't mastered the OC position yet. What he does with the new QB and whether he learns from this year's errors will make it clear whether he is a complete OC yet. We don't have much record of him as a recruiter yet, either.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Campbell signs extension to stay at Iowa State per Yahoo sports
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Hall hasn't improved our offense beyond being a middle of the road AAC offense. Tulane PPG 31.5; compared to SMU 43; Memphis 41.5; Navy 39.3; UCF 43.0. I agree and don't think he as been a good enough OC at this level to warrant a serious consideration. Before here he was a position coach at Memphis and OC for one year at a ULL team that had its coach fired. If he didn't already have angry wave logo on his shirt we would scoff at the idea.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

GretnaGrn wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
waverider wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Radio Wave wrote:Fritz is perfect for Tulane. Can’t think of anyone I would rather have. As a fan since the late 50’s we must keep him. We simply can’t start over again. Everything is pointing in the right direction.
Fritz is good. I’ve got no real complaints about him, but I think you’re overstating some things
I agree with visual.

The first point I sort of agree but would say he’s “good” (I’ll even give you great) for Tulane and I do like what he’s done thus far. (I won’t hesitate to say we need to move on if we are clawing our way to 6-6 again).

The second point is opinion. I’d take a Nick Saban type that wants to stay put for years while winning conference championships (even if that turns out to be Willie Fritz).

If Dannen is going to earn his keep, he’d find a replacement that can build on what Fritz has done.

As LG said, a coach coming in now has an easier job than the one Fritz inherited.

I do agree that we are moving in a positive direction. Consecutive 6-6 seasons is an accomplishment because it’s only happened 3 times in 150 years, but being a consistent 6-win team isn’t an aspiration.
Remember we were a foot away from 6-6 two years ago. I am thankful for the bowls. I also realize there we are now a program who is a consistant 6-6 and not necessarily a program on the rise. That may not sound good, but it's the truth.

Next year wont be any easier. SMU will have everybody back. Memphis will have their talent back even if their coach isnt back. Navy get most of its players back. As does Temple and UCF from the east. At ECU will not be a pushover like uconn was this year. Then there is Northwestern and Mississippi state which will both be tough road games. Throw in road games at Houston and Tulsa. They way I see it we will have to be a better team next year to just get to 6 wins.

CWF has talked about competing for championships, we better makes some moves this offseason.
Both Mississippi State and Northwestern won't be nearly as good as Auburn. MSU is on its way down and needed a pi$$y call against pathetic Ole Miss to become bowl eligible. Northwestern finished 3-9 and wasn't as good as that would imply. Don't be fooled by the P5 label.

That being said, I agree that consistent 6-6 isn't good enough. For THIS YEAR, consecutive bowl games is a positive sign and constitutes progress (although not progress of the sort we thought we had made halfway through the season). We need more next year.
I'll take 7-6 every year ad infinitum
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

windywave wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
waverider wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
I agree with visual.

I'll take 7-6 every year ad infinitum
Only if 1 of those 7 is ellas's shoe.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:...We haven't beaten a P5 since 2010 and that was Rutgers. In year 5 we need to be able to take out a middling to bad P5 school. ...
I agree. But to do that, we need to schedule them, and I suspect that the middling ones are reluctant to schedule us.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Roller wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:...We haven't beaten a P5 since 2010 and that was Rutgers. In year 5 we need to be able to take out a middling to bad P5 school. ...
I agree. But to do that, we need to schedule them, and I suspect that the middling ones are reluctant to schedule us.
We have two bad ones on the schedule next year.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Roller wrote:
We've scheduled Rutgers, Wake, Duke, Syracuse, Ole Miss, and GT since 2010. We have Northwestern, MS St., Ole Miss, Kansas St., Duke and Iowa St. on future schedules. None of those are powerhouses, at least not on an annual basis. We do still have games with Oklahoma remaining, but it isn't like we have in the past or currently are scheduling only OU/Auburn/Ohio St.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:Campbell signs extension to stay at Iowa State per Yahoo sports
Good for him.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Based on his sample size of 2019, I would agree. Next year will tell us if he is ready to be a P5 OC.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Roller wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Saintgreenie wrote:@BruceFeldmanCFB
Name that I'm hearing is pretty hot with some coaching searches ongoing right now is Tulane's Willie Fritz.

We all know we'll be hearing a lot more of this in the coming weeks. Hoping we can retain Willie, but I definitely don't want to lose both him and Hall. They'll both be getting a lot of attention.
I am OK with losing Hall.
If Fritz deserts, I hope we don't make the same mistake as we made with Rich Rod.
Hall has done a good job of improving our offense, but in no way does he compare to '98 Rich Rod.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:I know from our perspective this may seem unlikely, but Willie Fritz is a candidate at Arkansas per PAPN. If you haven't listened to their latest podcast it's worth it. These guys are well connected cfb journalists so I believe them when they say stuff like this. Doesn't mean he is getting the job, but clearly back to back 6-6 at Tulane means something to others in the cfb world.
If he took that job, that would mean he is too stupid to be our coach. They just fired Morris after less than two seasons, so, depending on what we do with his contract, even the money wouldn't count because he is only there two years and the amount of his buyout. At 60. I mean, after $2.2M (less the 10% fee for your agent), how much more do you need? Especially if you are trading NOLA for Fayetteville, Arkansas? I agree about the back-to-back 6-6 seasons at Tulane and what it means. But the next guy wouldn't have to massively rebuild, just build something better. I'd be surprised if he took it, but you never know.

On second thought, if he took it, it means he doesn't think he can do better here, so Tulane is in a win/win here. I hear RichRod is available. j/k.
I don't disagree with a lot of this, but I will push back on the salary bit. You're likely talking $2.5 million per year to whoever Arkansas hires. Morris' buyout was $10 million so the next guy's buyout will have to be at least in that ballpark. And then there's the fact that Arkansas is now at rock bottom thanks to Morris' complete ineptitude so whoever gets the gig only has to be competent and show minor progress to get 3+ years. So for fun's sake, let's say CWF gets the job and lasts 3 years. That's $17.5 million he can use to retire at 63. And of course he might succeed and stay around longer. I would certainly take that option (unless Tulane can match it of course).
The buyout is a function of the $ remaining on the contract, not a flat amount. If Fritz coaches at Arkansas for 3 years and then gets fired with a $10MM buyout, it means he got something like a 6 year, $30MM contract.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Rotorooter wrote:
Based on his sample size of 2019, I would agree. Next year will tell us if he is ready to be a P5 OC.
Started off good, but the second half was nothing like the first.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

sr wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
Things change when you get tape and map out tendencies. That is when coordinators earn their salaries.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Rotorooter wrote:
sr wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
Things change when you get tape and map out tendencies. That is when coordinators earn their salaries.
Nail on head. Example a is the wing/flex-bone stuff under center which worked like charm against Army, but fizzled as the year went on. Also the passing game withing this offense was figured out by mid season.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

The skill level of the teams we played also had an impact. Army doesn't have the athletes that Memphis, Temple, UCF, or SMU have. You saw how well the offense worked against Auburn. We struggled to execute against better teams.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Poseidon wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
sr wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
Nail on head. Example a is the wing/flex-bone stuff under center which worked like charm against Army, but fizzled as the year went on. Also the passing game withing this offense was figured out by mid season.
Army is not nearly as good defensively as Temple, UCF, etc. Not to mention Jones' injury limited him significantly after Army. And our passing game featured many throws 10 yards over the head of wide open receivers...not sure you can lay any of this on the OC.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

ml wave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
sr wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
Army is not nearly as good defensively as Temple, UCF, etc. Not to mention Jones' injury limited him significantly after Army. And our passing game featured many throws 10 yards over the head of wide open receivers...not sure you can lay any of this on the OC.
False, Army's defense was decent. They slide to 5-7 because they could not score. The point is we showed it in Army and it proved to be something we couldn't execute as well after played that hand.

1 Aug 30, 2019 6:00 PM Fri Army Rice CUSA W 14-7
2 Sep 7, 2019 12:00 PM Sat Army @ (7) Michigan Big Ten L 21-24
3 Sep 14, 2019 3:30 PM Sat Army @ UTSA W 31-13
4 Sep 21, 2019 12:00 PM Sat Army Morgan State W 52-21
5 Oct 5, 2019 12:00 PM Sat Army Tulane L 33-42
6 Oct 12, 2019 7:00 PM Sat Army @ Western Kentucky L 8-17
7 Oct 19, 2019 7:00 PM Sat Army @ Georgia State L 21-28
8 Oct 26, 2019 12:00 PM Sat Army San Jose State L 29-34
9 Nov 2, 2019 3:30 PM Sat Army @ Air Force L 13-17
10 Nov 9, 2019 12:00 PM Sat Army Massachusetts W 63-7
11 Nov 16, 2019 12:00 PM Sat Army Virginia Military Institute W 47-6
12 Nov 30, 2019 11:59 PM Sat Army @ Hawaii L 31-52