2019-20 NHL...It's all about the Cup

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

2019-20 NHL...It's all about the Cup

Post by Fan Since '54 »

And once again the NHL embarks upon a new season. One game is already in the books as the Washington Capitals defeated the St. Louis Blues 3-2 in OT in a matchup of the last two Stanley Cup Champions and a banner raising game. The rest of the teams will get their season underway tomorrow. What are your team's chances (if you have a team that you support) to raise the Cup this season. And once again it really depends who get's the best goaltending and avoids the injury bug.

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
Last edited by Fan Since '54 on Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Re: 2019-20 NHL...It's all about the Cup

Post by Johnny Mac »

I'm impatient with the Bruins.. I want to see their young studs get a chance to play in the big show but the coach is keeping old or established vets who haven't done the job with the big club and sending guys like Studnicka and Lauko to the AHL. I guess I could look at it this way.. guys like Backes and Heinen have to put up or they are gone because their replacements are ready to go.

Boston will have their typical slow start, will pick up momentum some time in December, become unbeatable from late January until March and then will get a crappy first round matchup against the Leafs which they may lose this time.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

My annual Go Preds! is in order. Little bit of a new look this year with Subban gone, but should still be a talented group. Just hoping they get hot at the right time and make a run. Playoffs are always a crapshoot anyway. Just look at what happened to Tampa Bay last year.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Oh the joy...not. Crosby is out for 6 weeks. Malkin (in particular) and the rest of the Pens must pick up their game in order to avoid being pretty much eliminated from playoff picture by the time the calendar turns to 2020. Malkin has been known to do this. Here's hoping he can get into his "beast" mood again. Let's go Pens.

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

I was watching Boston v Toronto tonight.. feed was TSN with the Leafs announcers... they kept droning on and on about the Leafs dealing with injuries... they are missing 1 guy.. yes, he's good (Mitch Marner)... Boston hasn't had Jake DeBrusk in weeks, Torey Krug just went down... they also are missing Brett Ritchie, David Backes and Carson Kuhlman.. and the guy from Providence they brought up to fill in for them Zach Senyshyn.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Pens beat the snot out of the Leafs tonight.. Toronto brought some kid up from the Marlies to play goalie and he gave up a bunch
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

OMG, the Pens came from 3 goals back (down 6-3 with about 6 minutes left in the third period) and scored 5 consecutive goals (1 empty netter) to beat the Canucks tonight in DaBurgh. Probably the best Pens game I have ever seen, not counting any Stanley Cup playoff games. I thought the game was over when the Canucks went up by 3, but I didn't change the channel...thank goodness. :roll:

Fan since '54

Big Easy Pens Fan
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Fan Since '54 wrote:OMG, the Pens came from 3 goals back (down 6-3 with about 6 minutes left in the third period) and scored 5 consecutive goals (1 empty netter) to beat the Canucks tonight in DaBurgh. Probably the best Pens game I have ever seen, not counting any Stanley Cup playoff games. I thought the game was over when the Canucks went up by 3, but I didn't change the channel...thank goodness. :roll:

Fan since '54

Big Easy Pens Fan
the Bruins are the best 3rd period team with a lead in the NHL and have a staggering record of wins versus losses over the past several years taking a lead into the 3rd... they blew a 4 - 0 lead a couple of weeks ago against Florida. Shows that no NHL team is ever out of a game.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Just when the Pens are getting somewhat better from all the injuries and Crosby is due to return soon after the New Year, Jake Guentzel injures himself (with help from a Senators' player) and is out for the rest of the season and maybe more if the Pens make the playoffs and progress a couple of rounds there.
Johnny Mac wrote:Pens beat the snot out of the Leafs tonight.. Toronto brought some kid up from the Marlies to play goalie and he gave up a bunch
https://www.nhl.com/news/jake-guentzel- ... /c-3132667

:blue:

Fan since '54
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

It has been 7+ years since one of these has happened. Pekka Rinne, Preds vs the Blackhawks last night. WOW!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvOImiJGGQw

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Hey Windy, just thought you'd like to know that the Blackhawks unis were voted the best in the NHL. I pretty much agreed with that. My Pens unis came in 4th.

https://www.stadiumtalk.com/s/nhl-unifo ... 4085964de0

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

not NHL, but the final 50 seconds of regulation in the Beanpot championship game was a hockey fan's dream in regard to action, effort, craziness and "holy cr@p!!!!"

Boston University ended up getting scrod in the second OT by an over zealous ref calling a marginal penalty.. cost them the game
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Speaking of college hockey, the "Frozen Four"/men's semis & final will be played in Atlanta, GA @ Mercedes-Benz Stadium on April 4 (semi-finals) and April 6 (Championship game). How in hell does Atlanta get that honor? Lest we forget Atlanta had two tries with an NHL team and both times lost their team to relocation. :roll:

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Fan Since '54 wrote:Speaking of college hockey, the "Frozen Four"/men's semis & final will be played in Atlanta, GA @ Mercedes-Benz Stadium on April 4 (semi-finals) and April 6 (Championship game). How in hell does Atlanta get that honor? Lest we forget Atlanta had two tries with an NHL team and both times lost their team to relocation. :roll:

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
Fanny.. that's the basketball final four.. Frozen four is in Detroit this year, Pittsburgh next year then in Boston

BUT... BUT.. they did hold it in Tampa.. twice. The closest D1 program to Tampa is in Huntsville, AL.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Johnny Mac wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:Speaking of college hockey, the "Frozen Four"/men's semis & final will be played in Atlanta, GA @ Mercedes-Benz Stadium on April 4 (semi-finals) and April 6 (Championship game). How in hell does Atlanta get that honor? Lest we forget Atlanta had two tries with an NHL team and both times lost their team to relocation. :roll:

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
Fanny.. that's the basketball final four.. Frozen four is in Detroit this year, Pittsburgh next year then in Boston

BUT... BUT.. they did hold it in Tampa.. twice. The closest D1 program to Tampa is in Huntsville, AL.
Oops, my mistake. I've been known to make a few now and then. :roll:
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Fan Since '54 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan

Oops, my mistake. I've been known to make a few now and then. :roll:
gotta say though, would be cool if college hockey reached the point where they did a "stadium series" style Frozen Four.. but it would most likely be at Ford Field or Lucas Oil Stadium and not the Mercedes Benz Stadium!!
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

interesting trade deadline deals

Kreider not leaving the Rangers was surprising and I think they overpaid him at over 6 mil per year

Boston picked up 2 pretty good players and shed salary.. thank you Ducks!

Caps got some scoring with Kovalchuk

oilers getting Athanasiuou from Detroit was a good acquisition

Pittsburgh was busy but not sure they got much better

Canes may have overpaid for Trocheck.. he's rumored to be a cancer in the room
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Johnny Mac wrote:interesting trade deadline deals

Kreider not leaving the Rangers was surprising and I think they overpaid him at over 6 mil per year

Boston picked up 2 pretty good players and shed salary.. thank you Ducks!

Caps got some scoring with Kovalchuk

oilers getting Athanasiuou from Detroit was a good acquisition

Pittsburgh was busy but not sure they got much better

Canes may have overpaid for Trocheck...he's rumored to be a cancer in the room
Well the Pens will get much better if/when they make it to the 2nd round. By then Guentzel & Marino will be back(if not sooner), and provided there are no more injuries.

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan