WaveAde?

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

WaveAde?

Unread post by Cheerleader »

I am putting this in the former players forum because the story was told to me by my brother, who played at Tulane under Pittman in the late 60's.

He told me that in his freshman year, a company came to Tulane and started an experiment on hydrating players. One third of the freshmen drank water only, one third drank a mixture of water and flavoring, and one third drank a concoction that contained "electrolytes", a term my brother had never heard before. They measured their blood, their sweat, and their urine all preseason. The company's name was Stokely Van Camp, and they also did this experiment at Alabama and Florida that year. The Tulane players called it WaveAde, and said it really helped, especially since most of them had come from high school programs which relied on salt pills and a limited amount of water during practice.

Needless to say the experiment was a success, and Stokley named it Gatorade instead of WaveAde. And now you know the "rest of the story".
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: WaveAde?

Unread post by TUPF »

Thanks for that! I guess “Gatorade” had a better ring to it than WaveAde or TideAde. The story I had heard was that it was strictly a Florida trainers’ concoction.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

Gatorade was developed by UF for their team.

It was purchased by some company probably the one mentioned in OP.

Quaker bought it in the early 80's
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Unread post by Cheerleader »

Nothing you said contradicts my brother's story. Stokley Van Camp was the company that took the formula from UF, tested it and marketed it. I didn't say they invented it. Also, the Wave players called it WaveAde, not the company. No reason for you to try to dump water (or Gatorade) on my post.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

Cheerleader wrote:Nothing you said contradicts my brother's story. Stokley Van Camp was the company that took the formula from UF, tested it and marketed it. I didn't say they invented it. Also, the Wave players called it WaveAde, not the company. No reason for you to try to dump water (or Gatorade) on my post.
I wasn't trying to dump on your post. I was just giving facts. Quaker was headquartered here. Someone's dad I knew was an executive there so I have heard the whole story a couple of times while drinking free Gatorade
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count