Welcome, to Jurassic Park

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Welcome, to Jurassic Park

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
windywave
Emerald Circle

Re: Welcome, to Jurassic Park

Post by windywave »

Saw this earlier in the week. I'd buy the dates at least once to try them if they started commercial growing
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

That's pretty freakin' cool!

(you know, as long as they don't grow wild and turn on the scientists :lol:)
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

PeteRasche wrote:That's pretty freakin' cool!

Hey kids.....Remember when the Zombie Apocalypse started when those killer trees were planted & we ate their fruit.....lololololol
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

BACONWAVE wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:That's pretty freakin' cool!

Hey kids.....Remember when the Zombie Apocalypse started when those killer trees were planted & we ate their fruit.....lololololol
https://www.ea.com/studios/popcap/plants-vs-zombies
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I hate dates but I’d try these just to be in a taste test with Pliny the Elder.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Sounds like something my mother would enjoy. My siblings have a bit of a game, where they go into her cupboard and refrigerator and try and find things that are past date; the challenge is to find the thing most past the expiration date. So far I think 5 years was the longest in the past 2 years...
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

This is certainly moving the needle on how far back, but seed libraries have been used for centuries to do this basic thing. See the righteous work that Anson Mills has done in SC bringing back benne and other seeds after industrialization and the proliferation of (the least flavorful version of) sesame became ubiquitous in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. They've done the same for carolina gold rice.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote:This is certainly moving the needle on how far back, but seed libraries have been used for centuries to do this basic thing. See the righteous work that Anson Mills has done in SC bringing back benne and other seeds after industrialization and the proliferation of (the least flavorful version of) sesame became ubiquitous in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. They've done the same for carolina gold rice.

2000 years > 150 years
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Thank you for enlightening me. Our book learnin' never included no numerations in my holler :roll: :roll: :roll:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote:Thank you for enlightening me. Our book learnin' never included no numerations in my holler :roll: :roll: :roll:
Well considering you equated the two....
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

"This is certainly moving the needle on how far back" is the precise opposite of equating something.

Putting you back on mute for a while. Life was lots more funner when I had you there.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

AO Sig wrote:Sounds like something my mother would enjoy. My siblings have a bit of a game, where they go into her cupboard and refrigerator and try and find things that are past date; the challenge is to find the thing most past the expiration date. So far I think 5 years was the longest in the past 2 years...
My parents moved from my childhood house to a condo in 1999 (actually larger than the house). In 2016 they moved to an independent living unit in a huge retirement community, the square footage of which was almost the same as the condo. My mother developed dementia and in 2018 we had to downsize them several thousand square feet to a 600 SF assisted living unit. During the course of getting the dementia diagnosed, we came to realize it was beginning as far back as their move in 2016, because my mother basically didn't cull through anything, she just had the movers pack up and move everything.

In the massive downsizing, which my wife and I accomplished, we found some dry goods and some seldom-used food items in the back of the fridge with expiration dates in the late 90s. That means not only were the items ~20 years old, but my parents had moved them in the late 90s from the house to their condo, then the movers moved them again in 2016 across town to the retirement community... expired food had moved twice. :shock:

Their liquor cabinet also had a few bottles which were circa 1960s... and not in an "aged = better" sort of way... more like cream-based liqueors which had literally congealed into solid masses, and sweet flavored schnapps- and brandy-type stuff that was horribly funky. :?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

You win. The worst I’ve seen is oranges in my mother-in-law’s fruit bowl there so long they had petrified into the size of golf balls. About the same density too.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

PeteRasche wrote:...Their liquor cabinet also had a few bottles which were circa 1960s... and not in an "aged = better" sort of way...
I've got a bottle of Jim Beam (unopened) that was bottled at 12 years old in 1957. Or at least, I surmise that because it was in a holiday-decorated box that had a hand-written "Merry Christmas, Irwin--XMAS'57" on it. I inherited that when my stepfather passed away. A few years later, my basement flooded, and the cardboard box disintegrated. As a result, I lost the note, but I've kept the bourbon as a keepsake, since it was distilled before I was born. ONe of these day, though, for some special occasion, I'm going to crack it open and share it with some close friends. If it's turned putrid (does it ever do that?), I'll have a side bottle that I can toss into the gap.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

it was just recently that I tossed some stuff from my pantry that I realized had been with us in our apartment... two moves ago... we moved in 2012 and again in 2016.

Not as bad, but still shaking my head with "why did we move this expired crap... twice?"
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Roller wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:...Their liquor cabinet also had a few bottles which were circa 1960s... and not in an "aged = better" sort of way...
I've got a bottle of Jim Beam (unopened) that was bottled at 12 years old in 1957. Or at least, I surmise that because it was in a holiday-decorated box that had a hand-written "Merry Christmas, Irwin--XMAS'57" on it. I inherited that when my stepfather passed away. A few years later, my basement flooded, and the cardboard box disintegrated. As a result, I lost the note, but I've kept the bourbon as a keepsake, since it was distilled before I was born. ONe of these day, though, for some special occasion, I'm going to crack it open and share it with some close friends. If it's turned putrid (does it ever do that?), I'll have a side bottle that I can toss into the gap.
If the seal is good it shouldn't change in flavor much either way. Bourbon gets the aging flavor from being in a cask; access to air and the wood in the casks all plays a part in that process. Once it's in a bottle, assuming the seal is good, it won't change.