Epic choke in Devlin

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Epic choke in Devlin

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

team dies at the 6 minute mark of the 2nd half... obviously out of gas. Our coach needs to change his philosophies of only playing his zone and only playing 8 guys.. this is NOT the fking SUNBELT conference.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Re: Epic choke in Devlin

Unread post by NJwave »

I don’t understand why we kept isolating guys against Rose. He made us pay 3 times. Not having a point guard killed us.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

somebody send him film on Clark's use of "The Posse." Using fresh legs so that they don't look so flat footed in the last 5 minutes.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

Hightower played with a lot of confidence which was a big plus. Stopped moving the ball and all one on one down the stretch. Thomson is being asked to do way too much. He is playing his guts out but making him handle it so much, rebound and be a main scorer is a lot to ask.
Wave Revival
Navigator Level

Unread post by Wave Revival »

I see no indication that Ron Hunter knows any Xs and Os or that he is really building a program at Tulane.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Unread post by 1309th WAVE »

FWD: SHANAHAN, KYLE
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Unread post by purplehaz3 »

What the hell are you talking about? They've won 10 games this year. 6 more than last year. We have zero depth, our PG left the program early because he was unhappy about minutes, we've had injuries and this team has never played with each other before. If our shooters shoot half decent as they did tonight, we will compete with any team. They're tired and made some poor decisions. He's coaching the best he can with limited players in a tough conference and he should be here long term.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

I would say that tonight wasn't about the zone; it was more about scoring 4 points in the last 6 minutes.
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Post game press conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwRBUPnSNpE

Have faith in this guy. He's done it before
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

purplehaz3 wrote:Post game press conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwRBUPnSNpE

Have faith in this guy. He's done it before
We were spoiled with the early positive results. I think almost everyday was happy with the Hunter hire and sang his praises. However, the team has regressed and he will have to adapt his style somewhat to succeed. I don’t think you can win in our league without using your bench at all. It’s a long season and you need depth.
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Unread post by angrywavedad »

Lawson was 2 of 13 from the field. Hard to survive that from your best player.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

purplehaz3 wrote:What the hell are you talking about? They've won 10 games this year. 6 more than last year. We have zero depth, our PG left the program early because he was unhappy about minutes, we've had injuries and this team has never played with each other before. If our shooters shoot half decent as they did tonight, we will compete with any team. They're tired and made some poor decisions. He's coaching the best he can with limited players in a tough conference and he should be here long term.
since we beat Temple, we lost EVERY game by double digits until last night and four of those losses were to HORRIBLE teams... the only thing that prevented us from getting smoked was Hightower returning, somewhat, to form. The team was EXHAUSTED by the 6 minute mark in the 2nd half because of Hunter's ridiculous short bench. We are going nowhere... he should be playing everyone to see what his hand is for next year. If we're going to lose.. and we are.. what's the difference if some of the younger guys are out there? The fact Temple only won by 4 shows that Aaron McKie isn't a very good coach right now. Even stiffs like Joe Dooley are outcoaching Hunter by a country mile.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Yankeewave »

everyone seemed to think Lawson was a 1 year player....is this still the case? Europe or Asia? or does he stay another year?
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Johnny Mac wrote:
purplehaz3 wrote:What the hell are you talking about? They've won 10 games this year. 6 more than last year. We have zero depth, our PG left the program early because he was unhappy about minutes, we've had injuries and this team has never played with each other before. If our shooters shoot half decent as they did tonight, we will compete with any team. They're tired and made some poor decisions. He's coaching the best he can with limited players in a tough conference and he should be here long term.
since we beat Temple, we lost EVERY game by double digits until last night and four of those losses were to HORRIBLE teams... the only thing that prevented us from getting smoked was Hightower returning, somewhat, to form. The team was EXHAUSTED by the 6 minute mark in the 2nd half because of Hunter's ridiculous short bench. We are going nowhere... he should be playing everyone to see what his hand is for next year. If we're going to lose.. and we are.. what's the difference if some of the younger guys are out there? The fact Temple only won by 4 shows that Aaron McKie isn't a very good coach right now. Even stiffs like Joe Dooley are outcoaching Hunter by a country mile.
And yet he mentions lack of depth as a problem in his post game press conference.
Victory is never permanent
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Yankeewave wrote:everyone seemed to think Lawson was a 1 year player....is this still the case? Europe or Asia? or does he stay another year?
first, it depends on if the coach wants him to stay.. he has had his ups and downs but has not produced an NBA worthy resume, as of yet. If Semir Sehic can land a job playing in Europe, Lawson can certainly do the same after this season.. for sure.. but I think the decision starts with whether or not Hunter wants him back.
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

I'm sure in the wide world of pro basketball there is a place for KJ but it's not in the NBA. Not big or strong enough to play down low and not quick or athletic enough to be on the outside. I do think he can continue to help Tulane but he has not been nearly consistent enough to be labelled a "star". Does not strike me as being interested in sticking around this year though, but who knows.
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Johnny Mac wrote:
Don't think he's being outcoached on Xs and Os but the transfers that he hoped would step up and thrive with major minutes have not done so yet he keeps sticking with them and his short bench philosophy. I wonder if it's as much about attracting the next crop of transfers as anything else. Very hard to get guys to come if they don't believe the minutes will be there.
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

KJ Lawson shouldn't stay. Frankly, there are better players out there in his position we could target. Jordan Walker has been the biggest disappointment. We are missing a point guard. Thompson is our best player by far. Hightower, Zhang, Days, McGee and Walker return next year. They will be a lot better (assuming they don't transfer out). I think we'll win another few games this year and maybe surprise people in the tournament. Just stay patient- we won 4 games last year. 4.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
Yankeewave wrote:everyone seemed to think Lawson was a 1 year player....is this still the case? Europe or Asia? or does he stay another year?
first, it depends on if the coach wants him to stay.. he has had his ups and downs but has not produced an NBA worthy resume, as of yet. If Semir Sehic can land a job playing in Europe, Lawson can certainly do the same after this season.. for sure.. but I think the decision starts with whether or not Hunter wants him back.
It starts with Lawson and if he wants to come back. I'm guessing all the talk about how he's gone after this year didn't originate from Hunter.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Team played with energy and did not look tired to me but maybe fatigue contributed to game end collapse. I've seen lots of epic comebacks but I don't recall one where ball handlers got their pockets picked twice in last minute or so.

Last night was first time where not having ROE probably mattered.

Next home game is Wednesday of MG week against SMU. Student attendance was slim last night. Can't see it improving for that game against a couple of parades. We don't need any more bread and circuses. Prefer some wins.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

I'd be happy if Lawson stayed but as pointed out by another poster a couple of months ago, isn't he 23 and married? He presumably has a family to support. I'd be astounded if he returned especially if he earns a terminal degree from Tulane this spring to go along with his KU diploma.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

This team is exhausted, and it showed at the end of the game. You cannot play in the AAC with only using 7-8 players. Period. Hunter will have to adapt to that or the results will not change, this year or ever. We'll see if he's willing to adjust (mostly for next year; I think this year is a lost cause).
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Baywave1 wrote:Team played with energy and did not look tired to me but maybe fatigue contributed to game end collapse. I've seen lots of epic comebacks but I don't recall one where ball handlers got their pockets picked twice in last minute or so.
Temple leads the conference in steals (we were second going into last night).
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

waverider wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:Team played with energy and did not look tired to me but maybe fatigue contributed to game end collapse. I've seen lots of epic comebacks but I don't recall one where ball handlers got their pockets picked twice in last minute or so.
Temple leads the conference in steals (we were second going into last night).
It was a huge mistake to run isolation against Rose down the stretch. He is their best player and a really good defender. He had two steals and a blocked shot.
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by BC Wave »

Lawson was stopped cold on drives to the basket late in the game.

I attribute that to fatigue.

Did he play every minute?
I don’t recall him sitting out.