Mardi Gras 2020

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Mardi Gras 2020

Post by PeteRasche »

Kicking off our (seemingly) annual thread because I'm gonna be in New Orleans this Friday and Saturday, at the Uptown parades Friday night and all day Saturday with my whole family in tow. The kids get a 5-day weekend (teacher in-service Thurs and Fri along with President's Day Monday). The last time that weekend coincided with Mardi Gras, five years ago, I brought my daughter, and upon returning my then-3-year-old son asked when he gets to go. The answer was 2020, so here we are. 8) (and the cool thing is, next year the long weekend coincides with the main weekend of Mardi Gras so we'll be back!)

If you or any Wave fans you know are riding in an Uptown parade Friday night or Saturday, shoot me a PM (or, heck, post here) with float number and side. I believe our friends' spot is on Napoleon near Camp. My 10- and 8-year-old kids would love some throws from one Wave fan to two young ones!

As of this writing, weather looks perfect both days.
Roller
Cornerstone

Re: Mardi Gras 2020

Post by Roller »

So you're skipping baseball?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Sorry I brought the cold weather with me for baseball...

I know asking who will be at parades tonight during baseball opening night is kinda blasphemy around here, but I didn't drive my family 13 hours yesterday because my kids have been looking forward to a baseball game for 5 years... :angel:

Anyone?
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

PeteRasche wrote:Sorry I brought the cold weather with me for baseball...

I know asking who will be at parades tonight during baseball opening night is kinda blasphemy around here, but I didn't drive my family 13 hours yesterday because my kids have been looking forward to a baseball game for 5 years... :angel:

Anyone?
planning on being right around Jefferson and Magazine.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I’m usually moderately near Washington unless we go somewhere else because of friends or weather. I ain’t missing parades for any sporting event :coolshades:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote:I’m usually moderately near Washington unless we go somewhere else because of friends or weather. I ain’t missing parades for any sporting event :coolshades:
Do you go to baseball games?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Used to have partial season tix. Gave up w/ Jewett.ight reconsider in future but not during Carnival
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

My son got a nice quality foam baseball bat and plush ball set, in green, with "Roll Wave" on both the bat and ball. The woman in Cleopatra who gave it to us had something Tulane on as part of her costume. We exchanged a high five and a Roll Wave. We must have exuded Tulane because we didn't have anything Tulane visible (my shirt was covered by my coat).
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:My son got a nice quality foam baseball bat and plush ball set, in green, with "Roll Wave" on both the bat and ball. The woman in Cleopatra who gave it to us had something Tulane on as part of her costume. We exchanged a high five and a Roll Wave. We must have exuded Tulane because we didn't have anything Tulane visible (my shirt was covered by my coat).
It’s in your blood.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Im pretty confident Dr Hullabaloo rides Cleo :whistle:
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

President Fitts walking w/ TUMB in Pontchartrain today
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

WaveProf wrote:Im pretty confident Dr Hullabaloo rides Cleo :whistle:
It wasn't her, I know her. But I wish she'd checked here and told me where she'd be!
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:
WaveProf wrote:Im pretty confident Dr Hullabaloo rides Cleo :whistle:
It wasn't her, I know her. But I wish she'd checked here and told me where she'd be!
She was making hot chocolate
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Gee, what are we going to talk about next?

p.s. I was two blocks away. Didn't see anything, thank goodness.

If you're in the dark still, Google Nyx.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Yikes. As someone who spent this past weekend watching my clumsy 10 year old stand on the skinny concrete curb and thinking about how her ankle could turn if she misstepped and she'd fall into the street... but then thinking that I didn't recall ever hearing about anyone being run over in all my years...
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

What people say happened is that the woman tried to step over the connection between the main float and its trailer and tripped over the hitch. If the float is in motion I can't imagine anything more dangerous you can do at a parade.
Last edited by long green on Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

long green wrote:What people say happened is that the woman tried to step over the connection between the main float and it's trailer and tripped over the hitch. If the float is in motion I can't imagine anything more dangerous you can do at a parade.
I heard that as well and I agree. Trying to cross the street between the two parts of a tandem float is... well, out of respect for the deceased, let's say, "not a good idea".
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

when I rode Endymion, we had a member get crushed by a float while getting off to enter the Dome.. changed our float safety policies after that.. nobody gets off until the tractor engine is shut down and the driver walks around the float saying "OK guys, you can get off now".

This may be insensitive but I am always amazed at this not happening every year with people coming up to the side of floats to get throws... when we threw to people 10 to 15 deep along Carrollton there were no barricades, they'd be banging on the side of the float, girlfriends would be on shoulders... I could just see potential disaster constantly.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

An article today in The Atlantic written by a New Orleans native titled “New Orleans Needs a Better Way to Do Mardi Gras”.

Would be interested to hear what others think, especially those of you who live there or are from there.

https://apple.news/A0Q5i2kYGRpScFgpCDARxRg
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

She didn't suggest anything, aside from be aware how bad things are. I've met her, btw, and her sister is on the City Council.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

long green wrote:She didn't suggest anything, aside from be aware how bad things are. I've met her, btw, and her sister is on the City Council.
Idk, "less beads" is groundbreaking innovation if you ask me.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

ml wave wrote:
long green wrote:She didn't suggest anything, aside from be aware how bad things are. I've met her, btw, and her sister is on the City Council.
Idk, "less beads" is groundbreaking innovation if you ask me.
That's been all over multiple outlets this year. There's concern about the discards blocking storm drains. Many krewes are throwing more glass beads (which are way cooler anyway) and moving to more unique items (custom decorated stuff usually, inspired by the Zulu coconuts and, much more recently, Muses shoes).
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

I think it's an article with Mardi Gras in the title that has little/nothing to do with Mardi Gras. I'm sure that has nothing to do with getting more eyeballs on it.

Creating a list of all the things wrong in New Orleans isn't super difficult.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

long green wrote:I've met her, btw, and her sister is on the City Council.
Always amazed at the experience of folks here. We have reached that age where we can easily play the Kevin Bacon degrees of separation game. :-D
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Maybe this was the difference of it being the first weekend (smaller and less extravagant parades) or maybe it was a function of our group being more small kids than adults, but I commented on how few beads we caught relative to plush items, light-up items (foam batons, headbands), and plastic junk (frisbees, footballs, etc.) last weekend. I mean, we still caught more beads than anything, but the percentage of them vs. other stuff was much lower than I'd have expected - and the number of "quality" beads caught was very low. In our family of 4, we probably got less than 2 dozen "keepers". I do think a lot of that was admittedly kids... If we made eye contact and the rider wanted to throw the kid something "special", they tended to turn around and grab a teddy bear instead of a fancy strand of beads.

And cups and doubloons were virtually nonexistent.