College football teams who have players test positive for COVID-19

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

College football teams who have players test positive for COVID-19

Post by PeteRasche »

Last week the first one was Houston (covered in the AAC news section here).
Now it's Texas.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... i=BB15ms5q

I figure we probably need a single repository so we aren't posting separate stories about it.
But I also hope this thread stays very short, if you know what I mean.
MattK
President's Circle

Re: College football teams who have players test positive for COVID-19

Post by MattK »

Bama had some too, before I saw the Houston story.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

MattK wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:12 pm Bama had some too, before I saw the Houston story.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

I think official policy is to put them in the old folks home. Depends upon the state really.
Victory is never permanent
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Clemson.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... atform=amp

If the headlines are confirming this big of a problem at the top programs, I can't believe it's not happening basically everywhere. Obviously they're going to be testing the herd immunity theory.

I recently saw a story that they think immunity lasts two months. I don't trust that story (because it didn't get a ton of coverage) but it's going to be interesting if players who have it now end up getting it again in August or September. If that happens, I don't see how they have a season, or any sport, until there's a vaccine.

Amidst all these stories, has there been a single player who had complications or was hospitalized? Clearly the assumption is these kids are fit enough that it won't be a problem, but if any D1 player ends up on a ventilator (or worse, dies), then what happens?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:02 am Clemson.

If the headlines are confirming this big of a problem at the top programs, I can't believe it's not happening basically everywhere. Obviously they're going to be testing the herd immunity theory.

I recently saw a story that they think immunity lasts two months. I don't trust that story (because it didn't get a ton of coverage) but it's going to be interesting if players who have it now end up getting it again in August or September. If that happens, I don't see how they have a season, or any sport, until there's a vaccine.

Amidst all these stories, has there been a single player who had complications or was hospitalized? Clearly the assumption is these kids are fit enough that it won't be a problem, but if any D1 player ends up on a ventilator (or worse, dies), then what happens?
One little discussed aspect of playing this fall is officiating. A good many of the seasoned officials from high school through to the pros are of that age where COVID could be a real problem. The players could be asymptomatic but the officials could be taken out a couple of weeks into the season as the virus kicks in after on field exposure. Folks bitch enough about officiating on a normal basis—see what happens when only younger, less experienced officials are on the field.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

TUPF wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:18 am
PeteRasche wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:02 am Clemson.

One little discussed aspect of playing this fall is officiating. A good many of the seasoned officials from high school through to the pros are of that age where COVID could be a real problem. The players could be asymptomatic but the officials could be taken out a couple of weeks into the season as the virus kicks in after on field exposure. Folks bitch enough about officiating on a normal basis—see what happens when only younger, less experienced officials are on the field.
You are absolutely right, of course, and you pointed this out a while back in the thread about whether football would be played. My thought when posting above was actually about the multiples of people who have to be there to help out during even practices, before games even roll around. Student managers, trainers, videographers, etc., for football teams aren't necessarily in the same condition that the players are, and could be more susceptible. And you know if "Johnny the towel guy" caught COVID from the players during summer workouts and died in a hospital bed in late August, they'd just slap a black patch with his initials on their uniform sleeve and move on without any real consideration of the sacrifice he made because the money was too big to consider not playing the season.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

LSU has a buttload of players test positive. https://apple.news/AFVXXGAWfRwiAjYwDvTmUwA

I am shocked. Not because there are a lot of players on a team, any team, testing positive, but that they are admitting it. My guess is that they figure if they admit to the big numbers in June well before the first snap, everything will be fine in September. However the last I heard is that the jury is out whether catching COVID once renders immunity—wasn’t there a recent news article that someone had been reinfected four months later?
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Yup, per my comments above about herd immunity.

I have a co-worker who is famously far right wing - I jokingly call him Yosemite Sam - and we all wondered how he'd handle the rules of masking and such. Day one of the office reopening, he immediately claimed "I already had it". So he thinks he's immune and doesn't have to follow any safety procedures. He lives out in the country and has some recurring health problems so we all know that he almost certainty didn't have it and certainly wasn't tested (if he had, we'd have heard about it and he'd have surely missed some work). But hey, if he had it already, he safe now, right? :roll:

I hadn't thought about it when they announced the restart of football, but it's clear now that all the big programs are all going to claim their infections now so they can claim herd immunity and no infections come September.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

When teams announce infections, do they specify whether these are active infections or antibodies showing a past infection. Seems to be a big difference to me.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight