2020 Football Season

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by gerryb323 »

waverider wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:54 pm
gerryb323 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:36 pm
waverider wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:50 pm
WaveProf wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:39 am The Big 10 made the only responsible decision. By Thanksgiving, that will likely be obvious to all of the conferences who are insisting on trying to have a season.
They are realizing that they will most likely look like fools for canceling on the first place. Especially since the commissioner is allowing his son to play at Miss St.

The newest numbers from the CDC are promising in that only 6% of COVID labels deaths were from the virus alone with the other 94% having 2 or more (2.6 avg) underlying conditions and nearly 80% being people aged 74 or older. Basically saying that healthy people aren’t at a high risk if they catch it.
Tell that to Eduardo Rodriguez
He, like the two college football players may be in the group lucky to have caught the virus which helped detect a previously unknown issue. If not, then he’s in the “exception, not the norm” group and I’ll focus on the 95% that have recovered with no known lingering effects.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/08/30/poli ... ssion=true

Let's stop spreading conspiracy theories.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
pearlriverwave
Navigator Level

Post by pearlriverwave »

you first CNN is a conspiracy theory
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

I dont know what to do. I do know that college athletes are adults and in a free society we allow them decide what risk they are willing to take.

A thing to consider would be does not having the season lessen the chance these players get covid. IIRC many reported with the virus. Has their activities with the teams actually increased the rate getting the virus? If sent home with no season how does that effect their incentives to quarantine?

Personally I have been playing it very tight during the past six months with a pregnant wife and then a new born. I have been really trying to read between the lines and see what the actual risk is, but it is too hard to tell. My last grandparent died recently as well. She was 87 and it was from a fall, her blood oxygen level was crazy low. They didnt test her for covid, but it sounds curious. Several friends have got it. They have all recovered with no present side effects; they range from 3 months of age to 79. I am trying to avoid my family(wife, 4yr boy, 3 yrgirl, 1 month boy) getting it at all. I still think this will last into the spring or longer until herd immunity kicks in, but I know I really know nothing.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:55 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:22 pm
pearlriverwave wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:51 pm so you use 1 example out of thousands and turn our country upside down.
I could tell you about my son's teacher's wife who was a perfectly healthy early 50s woman with no underlying conditions and how his teacher will miss the next two weeks or more of school because tomorrow is the day they have to make the call to remove life support since her lungs are filled with blood clots and there's nothing more they can do. I know, I know, "but the teacher himself and their kids all got it too and they were fine.". Sure, what's one death per every few households? Pick somebody, as long as it ain't you, right?
Sounds like she was mistreated or had issues previously unknown before.
1. Nope. Because this frigging thing is still a mystery. We haven't solved it. Sick people survive, healthy people die. Roll the dice.
2. Oh, that's great solace. I'll be sure to console my son's teacher with that.
3. F you and your lack of care for any human life besides your own.
waverider wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:55 pm Or, should I just counter with stories of people I know from age 45 to 104, some with compromised immune systems recovering from cancer that caught it, felt bad for a few days then fully recovered? Numbers don’t lie and the numbers say the chances of fully recovering are much greater than having a severe case.
My point is, and has been since, what, April?, that it's all no big deal to half the country until someone you know dies. Maybe your mom has an unknown condition. Maybe your spouse has an unknown condition. Maybe your kid does. Maybe Willie Fritz does. Maybe one of our star players does. When any one of those people dies will you still be this cold about it? "Well, we didn't know {insert name of starting player} had a problem before, and now he's dead of COVID, but, hey, we got to see some sports so it was worth it! #LivinMyLifeDon'tCareAboutYours"

This is, and has been, my point to the "I'm gonna live my life and not be scared" crowd. I'm not scared, I'm smart. Lots of people - LOTS - are not being smart. Maybe you are, but lots aren't. Those people are the reason this thing is still here.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

waverider wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:50 pm
WaveProf wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:39 am The Big 10 made the only responsible decision. By Thanksgiving, that will likely be obvious to all of the conferences who are insisting on trying to have a season.
They are realizing that they will most likely look like fools for canceling on the first place. Especially since the commissioner is allowing his son to play at Miss St.

The newest numbers from the CDC are promising in that only 6% of COVID labels deaths were from the virus alone with the other 94% having 2 or more (2.6 avg) underlying conditions and nearly 80% being people aged 74 or older. Basically saying that healthy people aren’t at a high risk if they catch it.
Hey frick stick just go away. Do you have a frick medical degree? Have you seen young people shipped to the ICU on a vent? Have you had to wear a mother frick P100 mask for 12 hours of work donkey butt? I hate people like you that are either obtuse or ignorant. Seriously just shut the frick up.

Just for doody and giggles read about long haulers and if you can't sound out the words it is really frick bad, like lupus bad you useless PoS.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
2palmer0
Riptide Level

Post by 2palmer0 »

Treating college athletes like autonomous adults (and taking the precautions that pro leagues have done to protect them from the virus) runs counter to the myth of amateurism. I think that has a lot more to do with the Big 10 and Pac 12 postponing than any actual care for the students. I don't think it's a coincidence that those were the conferences with the loudest #weareunited movements. Also, this virus is real and scary. Less people are dying now but people are still dying and we still know very little about it and that sucks. Having lock downs and losing your job and worrying about child care and feeding your family also sucks. If you're upset because you don't know how your going to buy food or pay rent and want this to be over, that's one thing. If you're upset because you can't go to a football game or because people want you to wear a mask, that's ridiculous and your failure to deal with the minor inconveniences is perpetuating the actual problems caused by lockdowns.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

pearlriverwave wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:51 pm you first CNN is a conspiracy theory
I mean, I don't think they're lying about Twitter taking down the story.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

2palmer0 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:02 am Treating college athletes like autonomous adults (and taking the precautions that pro leagues have done to protect them from the virus) runs counter to the myth of amateurism. I think that has a lot more to do with the Big 10 and Pac 12 postponing than any actual care for the students. I don't think it's a coincidence that those were the conferences with the loudest #weareunited movements. Also, this virus is real and scary. Less people are dying now but people are still dying and we still know very little about it and that sucks. Having lock downs and losing your job and worrying about child care and feeding your family also sucks. If you're upset because you don't know how your going to buy food or pay rent and want this to be over, that's one thing. If you're upset because you can't go to a football game or because people want you to wear a mask, that's ridiculous and your failure to deal with the minor inconveniences is perpetuating the actual problems caused by lockdowns.
mic drop
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
diverdo
Junior

Post by diverdo »

I religiously read through everyone's posts but rarely post myself - I just don't take the time nor do I have the time. I am sure that everyone has done enough "homework" on this topic to support their own position and I do not fault a bias on anyone's part, but even if you split the baby on the extremes of the potential outcomes, it seems to me that Tulane, or any other school, can play sports this fall. The CDC has said that it ultimately sees a 00.6% fatality rate for the coronavirus, with 85% of those fatalities being over age 60 - those statistics practically exclude all students and just about all faculty and staff ( only approx 2% of the 00.6% apply to under age 40) Even if you accept the CDC decision to count every person who dies with covid as a death because of covid regardless of comorbidities that contributed/caused actual death, the covid deaths so defined only represent 10% of total deaths in the USA, again according to published stats by the CDC. I have seen numerous news reports - I did not bother to research this since I also have not seen anything to the contrary - that the under 20 age group is much less likely to suffer significant illness/death from covid in comparison to the flu. I continue to believe that the health of Tulane's student athletes will be much better served by the protocols that the university has put in place than otherwise, with the incentive for "good behavior" by the athletes and staff to be being able to play. And, with appropriate accommodation for vulnerable (age/comorbidity) staff. Playing football or not playing football doesn't mean that you, or a teacher or an athlete, won't get the coronavirus from buying a cup of coffee, going to the grocery store, getting a haircut, etc., etc.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

diverdo wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:55 pm I religiously read through everyone's posts but rarely post myself - I just don't take the time nor do I have the time. I am sure that everyone has done enough "homework" on this topic to support their own position and I do not fault a bias on anyone's part, but even if you split the baby on the extremes of the potential outcomes, it seems to me that Tulane, or any other school, can play sports this fall. The CDC has said that it ultimately sees a 00.6% fatality rate for the coronavirus, with 85% of those fatalities being over age 60 - those statistics practically exclude all students and just about all faculty and staff ( only approx 2% of the 00.6% apply to under age 40) Even if you accept the CDC decision to count every person who dies with covid as a death because of covid regardless of comorbidities that contributed/caused actual death, the covid deaths so defined only represent 10% of total deaths in the USA, again according to published stats by the CDC. I have seen numerous news reports - I did not bother to research this since I also have not seen anything to the contrary - that the under 20 age group is much less likely to suffer significant illness/death from covid in comparison to the flu. I continue to believe that the health of Tulane's student athletes will be much better served by the protocols that the university has put in place than otherwise, with the incentive for "good behavior" by the athletes and staff to be being able to play. And, with appropriate accommodation for vulnerable (age/comorbidity) staff. Playing football or not playing football doesn't mean that you, or a teacher or an athlete, won't get the coronavirus from buying a cup of coffee, going to the grocery store, getting a haircut, etc., etc.
You say "clearly" and yet our own AD puts it at 51/49. It isn't just about player deaths. This greatly oversimplifies.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

We all know there are only two conditions in life, alive and dead. :roll: It must be so easy to live in a black and white, binary world.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covi ... /index.htm

Latest CDC stats. I'll let you guys do the math and logic. I know where I stand. Let the fun begin.
Plan your work, work your plan.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

pearlriverwave wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:51 pm so you use 1 example out of thousands and turn our country upside down.
I think the issue here is not the 1 but the thousands (hundreds of thousands, really).
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

ml wave wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:46 pm
I think the issue here is not the 1 but the thousands (hundreds of thousands, really).
72,527, if you believe the CDC, or .022% of the population (see above).

Given those numbers, don't drive your car anywhere. Frankly, I hope you DO stay in lockdown.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Rotorooter wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:08 pm

Given those numbers, don't drive your car anywhere. Frankly, I hope you DO stay in lockdown.
What are you looking at? The link I clicked said 168k plus.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

gerryb323 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:49 pm

Excluding influenza. Fourth row over. Seems reasonable to me, got to isolate influenza deaths from Covid deaths, but include pneumonia because it is a derivative. Any way you slice it, the percentages are very low and getting lower, especially in the 15-24 age group.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

This is frick gibberish. First off the correct value to use is 168K. Cherry picking data is not a good look. Second you divide the number 168 into the number of infections 6MM to get the rate. The best guess for the rate is 0.6% meaning using your total population number thats about 10X as many deaths as we have had now on the low side.
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Rotorooter wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:24 am
gerryb323 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:49 pm

Excluding influenza. Fourth row over. Seems reasonable to me, got to isolate influenza deaths from Covid deaths, but include pneumonia because it is a derivative.
Uh no.
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

It’s all academic until someone in your family dies. And to use that driving your car example for you non BMW drivers, we buckle up even though we don’t expect to die on the way to work and play. None of us get out of here alive. I’d just rather have a say if at all possible.

I’ve given up trying to reason with the folks who have toddler tantrums about their rights being infringed. Just give me a wide berth when you do so.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

TUPF wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:12 am It’s all academic until someone in your family dies. And to use that driving your car example for you non BMW drivers, we buckle up even though we don’t expect to die on the way to work and play. None of us get out of here alive. I’d just rather have a say if at all possible.

I’ve given up trying to reason with the folks who have toddler tantrums about their rights being infringed. Just give me a wide berth when you do so.
You've properly reminded us that with freedom comes responsibility.

So I'll make sure that in my currently "open" wild and wooly ways, I'll keep well clear of all that may have a different view of the matter; especially those who have to interact with lots of random strangers.

My postal worker is awesome but she may be the safest/most hygienic person, I know, outside of those in hospitals. I want her and her family to stay safe while I live as "openly" as I can but still get my regular USPS deliveries and pickups.

Meanwhile I stay in the "Let's Play Football" camp. Public safety and generous amounts of public activity are not mutually exclusive, like me and my postal worker.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

The comorbidities stat is a red herring. So you have some disease and you've lived with it for years, and will continue to live with it for many more years, say maybe the next 30 years (someone give me a stat of how many Americans live with some sort of chronic disease that isn't necessarily fatal on its own). You get COVID and you die. But we shouldn't count you in terms of COVID deaths because you had this other disease? Because "you were gonna die from complications from that other disease eventually and this only sped it up"? Using this comorbidity stat is basically saying you are okay with COVID killing off the "weak", thinning the herd, separating the wheat from the chaff, call it what you will. Darwinism, except some people consider actual Darwinism to mean the person dying did something to deserve it, whereas here many of the people dying didn't do anything to deserve the original comorbidity and are dying because of the refusal of others to slightly inconvenience themselves.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

TUPF wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:12 am It’s all academic until someone in your family dies. And to use that driving your car example for you non BMW drivers, we buckle up even though we don’t expect to die on the way to work and play. None of us get out of here alive. I’d just rather have a say if at all possible.

I really do not understand your passive/aggressive-ism. You feel endangered, take the necessary precautions you need to feel safe. So do I. I may feel that not wearing a mask in the fresh air is a prudent, calculated risk that I am willing to take, you may not. (I mean, if you can't breathe the air, you're f**cked anyway). Same is true with wearing a mask while you're driving in your car--you might, I don't. I keep distance, I wear a mask indoors, particularly in a crowded place, cannot really go to concerts or other activities. You feel differently--GREAT FOR YOU!! I don't have it, do everything I can not to get it, and do prudent things like personal hygiene not to give it out. If I get it, I quarantine for 14 days. Oh, and by the way, people in my family ARE going to die, it just depends on when and what from.

Given the numbers, a valid argument can be made that it is not worth shutting down an entire economy or shutting down one's life until a vaccine comes--if it ever does. There are prudent ways to go about your life while still being careful. There are drugs to take if you get it. Sorry you disagree, then stay at home. Lock 'er down. Stay six feet away. Embrace the suck. Call us stupid and feel better. Whatever.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Rotorooter wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:46 am

Given the numbers, a valid argument can be made that it is not worth shutting down an entire economy or shutting down one's life until a vaccine comes--if it ever does.
Your numbers are frick trash though, that's the point.

You realize we're talking in the neighborhood of 1.5MM deaths at a 0.5% mortality rate and 300MM?

Have you read about long hauler syndrome? Read about it and learn to do basic math then feel free to clap back at me.
#cousins don't count