2020 Football Season

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Re: 2020 Football Season

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Yankeewave wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:14 pm I, for one, would like to know if Lindsey Scott wears a mask
Depends on the uniform combo and what region he considers has the best local food
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Yankeewave wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:14 pm I, for one, would like to know if Lindsey Scott wears a mask
Apparently?
https://twitter.com/_lj18_/status/12932 ... 66720?s=19
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Going against what I literally said last page about getting any of my information from major news media outlets, I open a browser tonight and find this. Do I believe it? Is it correct? Who knows? But anyway, I thought it was relevant to the debate here... at least until this entire thread (or at least the last couple of pages) gets nuked.
Fact check: CDC's data on COVID-19 deaths used incorrectly in misleading claims
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fact- ... li=BBnb7Kz
“This week the CDC quietly updated the Covid number to admit that only 6% of all the 153,504 deaths recorded actually died from Covid That's 9,210 deaths The other 94% had 2-3 other serious illnesses & the overwhelming majority were of very advanced age,” a since-deleted retweet by Trump reads.

According to several media reports, that tweet from user and QAnon supporter "Mel Q" was removed by Twitter, which cited a violation of its rules.

The conspiracy theory, and similar ones, were repeated and widely shared across social media, with users claiming the statistics were evidence the coronavirus pandemic was not as severe as public health officials have warned or that the deaths were not the result of the virus.
Bob Anderson, the National Center for Health Statistics chief of mortality statistics, told AFP Fact Check that in all the agency’s reported data, COVID-19 was the underlying cause of death.

“These data come from death certificates, and the death certificate is designed to only capture information on causes of death,” Anderson said, explaining that COVID-19 would then not be "an incidental or trivial factor."

"The underlying cause of death is the condition that began the chain of events that ultimately led to the person’s death," Jeff Lancashire, acting associate director for communications at the National Center for Health Statistics, told PolitiFact.

"In 92% of all deaths that mention COVID-19, COVID-19 is listed as the underlying cause of death," Lancashire said.

It’s kind of ridiculous, because if they took the time to just read, they’d understand a little better what’s going on here,” Anderson also said.
OUCH, MAN! :lol:
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

Was this peice written before or after they decided QAnon and Russia retroactively rigged the election?

I stopped trusting NIH, Fauci, Trump, MSN, CNN, Twitter, and every fact check site on this a while ago. Everyone with decent ability read through bs should try it. All these sites have an agenda that supercedes any real honesty. I'll trust the wisdom of the crowds on this one.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Poseidon wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:45 pm Was this peice written before or after they decided QAnon and Russia retroactively rigged the election?

I stopped trusting NIH, Fauci, Trump, MSN, CNN, Twitter, and every fact check site on this a while ago. Everyone with decent ability read through bs should try it. All these sites have an agenda that supercedes any real honesty. I'll trust the wisdom of the crowds on this one.
The crowds that are split 40/40/20? And to what piece are you referring?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Poseidon wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:45 pmI'll trust the wisdom of the crowds on this one.
Um... what gerry said. don't take what you see on your Facebook wall as being the majority of America.

ON A BRIGHTER NOTE,

Several stories out this morning about the results just being released of running the virus analysis through the Summit Supercomputer ("2nd fastest computer in the world") at the Oak Ridge Labs. Evidence points to this being more of a vascular (blood-related) than respiratory disease. Results of what they found (google "bradykinins") basically explain all of the various, random, and odd symptoms that doctors have reported. While none of this has been tested at all and it's all hypothesis at this point, it sounds pretty promising when the supercomputer says "it's doing this and that" and the doctors say "hmm, yeah, all of those things would indeed cause every symptom we've seen". Although this makes me wonder why no doctor who deals with bradykinin-related stuff hasn't thought about this on their own already... If this bradykinin thing ends up being a/the key, the good news is that there are already several FDA-approved treatments that can help. One of them is Vitamin D, which you get simply from a few minutes in the sun every day, but of which apparently 20% of Americans have a deficiency (go outside, people!).
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

Well, he did, but then he changed his mind. Then he changed it back. Now he's wearing one of those gaiter things.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Also, can we PLEASE either get back to talking about football or lock the thread? It's definitely veered into pure political discussion and there's roughly a kajillion other places for that. For many of us, sports and this site in particularly are a welcome respite from these conversations.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

GretnaGrn wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:27 am Also, can we PLEASE either get back to talking about football or lock the thread? It's definitely veered into pure political discussion and there's roughly a kajillion other places for that. For many of us, sports and this site in particularly are a welcome respite from these conversations.
Sad that scientific/medical and masking discussions are political now. Thanks Obama!
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

gerryb323 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:33 am
GretnaGrn wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:27 am Also, can we PLEASE either get back to talking about football or lock the thread? It's definitely veered into pure political discussion and there's roughly a kajillion other places for that. For many of us, sports and this site in particularly are a welcome respite from these conversations.
Sad that scientific/medical and masking discussions are political now. Thanks Obama!
It's moved past that.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Actually, everything that doesn't have directly to do with football should be moved into the thread in the "non Tulane non sports" section. That thread is already in the teens (pages) and this all should have been a continuation of that, but apparently since everything is so dead and there's no real news regarding the team, people decided to bring that discussion over here to the main page.

Unfortunately, that would be a significant task for a mod that I wouldn't wish upon them, so I'm guessing this thread is heading for oblivion.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Yankeewave »

it is odd this one hasn't been locked yet!
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Unread post by Cheerleader »

Trying to reclaim the thread... The Athletic says that this year will not count in eligibility. All Freshmen will remain freshmen even if they play all the games. No redshirts. So next year, Dauphine will have another year of eligibility!
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Cheerleader wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:03 pm Trying to reclaim the thread... The Athletic says that this year will not count in eligibility. All Freshmen will remain freshmen even if they play all the games. No redshirts. So next year, Dauphine will have another year of eligibility!
Welcome to the thread, that was maybe 5 pages ago. Can't blame you though!
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Here we go. Also, I'm sure in unrelated news, practice was cancelled today...

https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/a ... ssion=true
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:49 am
Poseidon wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:45 pmI'll trust the wisdom of the crowds on this one.
Um... what gerry said. don't take what you see on your Facebook wall as being the majority of America.

ON A BRIGHTER NOTE,

Several stories out this morning about the results just being released of running the virus analysis through the Summit Supercomputer ("2nd fastest computer in the world") at the Oak Ridge Labs. Evidence points to this being more of a vascular (blood-related) than respiratory disease. Results of what they found (google "bradykinins") basically explain all of the various, random, and odd symptoms that doctors have reported. While none of this has been tested at all and it's all hypothesis at this point, it sounds pretty promising when the supercomputer says "it's doing this and that" and the doctors say "hmm, yeah, all of those things would indeed cause every symptom we've seen". Although this makes me wonder why no doctor who deals with bradykinin-related stuff hasn't thought about this on their own already... If this bradykinin thing ends up being a/the key, the good news is that there are already several FDA-approved treatments that can help. One of them is Vitamin D, which you get simply from a few minutes in the sun every day, but of which apparently 20% of Americans have a deficiency (go outside, people!).
Facebook would be part of the non-trusted part. Facebook and what seems to be the bulk of the post are either political persuasion or posturing post. Let me explain what the wisdom of the crowds I'm talking about. It is not relying on conventional wisdom, majority opinion, or "expert" opinion. It is letting the "crowd" express individual conclusions or thoughts about a problem. You then collect the more reasonable conclusions and refine as best you can. You can also listen for other voices in the crowd who have attempted to refine whats been said, get the sources from them and keep refining yourself. Think more of crowd-sourcing.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Poseidon wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:43 pm Facebook would be part of the non-trusted part. Facebook and what seems to be the bulk of the post are either political persuasion or posturing post. Let me explain what the wisdom of the crowds I'm talking about. It is not relying on conventional wisdom, majority opinion, or "expert" opinion. It is letting the "crowd" express individual conclusions or thoughts about a problem. You then collect the more reasonable conclusions and refine as best you can. You can also listen for other voices in the crowd who have attempted to refine whats been said, get the sources from them and keep refining yourself. Think more of crowd-sourcing.
So when I'm designing a lab fume hood exhaust system for hydrofluoric acid, do you think the chemists working in that lab would prefer I reference industry guidelines, or seek out a majority of opinions of the public on social media? C'mon, man, you don't crowd-source medical advice about a virus, you listen to actual degreed, experienced experts in that specific field. And no, that doesn't include "America's Frontline Doctors".
pearlriverwave
Navigator Level

Unread post by pearlriverwave »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:15 pm
Poseidon wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:43 pm Facebook would be part of the non-trusted part. Facebook and what seems to be the bulk of the post are either political persuasion or posturing post. Let me explain what the wisdom of the crowds I'm talking about. It is not relying on conventional wisdom, majority opinion, or "expert" opinion. It is letting the "crowd" express individual conclusions or thoughts about a problem. You then collect the more reasonable conclusions and refine as best you can. You can also listen for other voices in the crowd who have attempted to refine whats been said, get the sources from them and keep refining yourself. Think more of crowd-sourcing.
So when I'm designing a lab fume hood exhaust system for hydrofluoric acid, do you think the chemists working in that lab would prefer I reference industry guidelines, or seek out a majority of opinions of the public on social media? C'mon, man, you don't crowd-source medical advice about a virus, you listen to actual degreed, experienced experts in that specific field. And no, that doesn't include "America's Frontline Doctors".
Why NOT America's Frontline Doctors - they are degreed and experienced experts as much as the others or they do fit the cause
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

Poseidon wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:43 pm

ON A BRIGHTER NOTE,

Facebook would be part of the non-trusted part. Facebook and what seems to be the bulk of the post are either political persuasion or posturing post. Let me explain what the wisdom of the crowds I'm talking about. It is not relying on conventional wisdom, majority opinion, or "expert" opinion. It is letting the "crowd" express individual conclusions or thoughts about a problem. You then collect the more reasonable conclusions and refine as best you can. You can also listen for other voices in the crowd who have attempted to refine whats been said, get the sources from them and keep refining yourself. Think more of crowd-sourcing.
So when crowds all thought witches floated and the innocent sank you would be cool with that? I'll take the expert opinions thank you very much.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:18 pm

ON A BRIGHTER NOTE,

So when crowds all thought witches floated and the innocent sank you would be cool with that? I'll take the expert opinions thank you very much.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

ON A BRIGHTER NOTE,

If this whole episode has taught us nothing else, it's that people are idiots.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

pearlriverwave wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:22 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:15 pm
Why NOT America's Frontline Doctors - they are degreed and experienced experts as much as the others or they do fit the cause
Um, no, not an epidemiologist among them. Having a degree in a different medical field (opthamology, for example) does not make you an expert on this. It's not that complicated of a concept.

Here's the money quote from the people that you cite as experts and believe(?) people should be taking medical advice from:
“Many women suffer from astral sex regularly. Astral sex is the ability to project one’s spirit man into the victim’s body and have intercourse with it. This practice is very common amongst Satanists. They leave their physical bodies in a dormant state while they project their spirits into the body of whoever they want to have sex with,” Immanuel wrote.
https://www.snopes.com/news/2020/07/30/ ... e-doctors/
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

gerryb323 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:15 pm Here we go. Also, I'm sure in unrelated news, practice was cancelled today...

I didn’t see any mention of athletes, or more specifically, football, unless I overlooked it. I would think the canceling of practice has more to do with Fritz saying he was scaling practice back since we don’t play this week. He said most years he would go harder but decided to try scaling back to keep guys rested and ready for next week. The extra weeks on the front end were a part of his decision.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

waverider wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:07 pm
gerryb323 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:15 pm Here we go. Also, I'm sure in unrelated news, practice was cancelled today...

I didn’t see any mention of athletes, or more specifically, football, unless I overlooked it. I would think the canceling of practice has more to do with Fritz saying he was scaling practice back since we don’t play this week. He said most years he would go harder but decided to try scaling back to keep guys rested and ready for next week. The extra weeks on the front end were a part of his decision.
I don't think we've practiced since the Saturday scrimmage. That seems a bit much for "scaling back".
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

We practiced in the Dome on Sunday.
We deserve so much better