2020 Football Season

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Re: 2020 Football Season

Unread post by Poseidon »

windywave wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:18 pm
Poseidon wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:43 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:49 am
Poseidon wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:45 pmI'll trust the wisdom of the crowds on this one.
Um... what gerry said. don't take what you see on your Facebook wall as being the majority of America.

ON A BRIGHTER NOTE,

Several stories out this morning about the results just being released of running the virus analysis through the Summit Supercomputer ("2nd fastest computer in the world") at the Oak Ridge Labs. Evidence points to this being more of a vascular (blood-related) than respiratory disease. Results of what they found (google "bradykinins") basically explain all of the various, random, and odd symptoms that doctors have reported. While none of this has been tested at all and it's all hypothesis at this point, it sounds pretty promising when the supercomputer says "it's doing this and that" and the doctors say "hmm, yeah, all of those things would indeed cause every symptom we've seen". Although this makes me wonder why no doctor who deals with bradykinin-related stuff hasn't thought about this on their own already... If this bradykinin thing ends up being a/the key, the good news is that there are already several FDA-approved treatments that can help. One of them is Vitamin D, which you get simply from a few minutes in the sun every day, but of which apparently 20% of Americans have a deficiency (go outside, people!).
Facebook would be part of the non-trusted part. Facebook and what seems to be the bulk of the post are either political persuasion or posturing post. Let me explain what the wisdom of the crowds I'm talking about. It is not relying on conventional wisdom, majority opinion, or "expert" opinion. It is letting the multitude of different voices
conclusions or thoughts about a problem. You then collect the more reasonable conclusions and refine as best you can. You can also listen for other voices in the crowd who have attempted to refine whats been said, get the sources from them and keep refining yourself. Think more of crowd-sourcing.
So when crowds all thought witches floated and the innocent sank you would be cool with that? I'll take the expert opinions thank you very much.
I have once again failed to illustrate my point. It's not popular opinion I'm talking about. It's not following the crowd like a sheep or taking technocrats advice as if it were handed down from god. It is listening to all the different individual opinions from of the crowd of medical and adjacent scientific people at all levels.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Unread post by BACONWAVE »

ml wave wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:20 pm
Poseidon wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:45 pmI'll trust the wisdom of the crowds on this one.
Um... what gerry said. don't take what you see on your Facebook wall as being the majority of America.

ON A BRIGHTER NOTE,

Several stories out this morning about the results just being released of running the virus analysis through the Summit Supercomputer ("2nd fastest computer in the world") at the Oak Ridge Labs. Evidence points to this being more of a vascular (blood-related) than respiratory disease. Results of what they found (google "bradykinins") basically explain all of the various, random, and odd symptoms that doctors have reported. While none of this has been tested at all and it's all hypothesis at this point, it sounds pretty promising when the supercomputer says "it's doing this and that" and the doctors say "hmm, yeah, all of those things would indeed cause every symptom we've seen". Although this makes me wonder why no doctor who deals with bradykinin-related stuff hasn't thought about this on their own already... If this bradykinin thing ends up being a/the key, the good news is that there are already several FDA-approved treatments that can help. One of them is Vitamin D, which you get simply from a few minutes in the sun every day, but of which apparently 20% of Americans have a deficiency (go outside, people!).
Facebook would be part of the non-trusted part. Facebook and what seems to be the bulk of the post are either political persuasion or posturing post. Let me explain what the wisdom of the crowds I'm talking about. It is not relying on conventional wisdom, majority opinion, or "expert" opinion. It is letting the "crowd" express individual conclusions or thoughts about a problem. You then collect the more reasonable conclusions and refine as best you can. You can also listen for other voices in the crowd who have attempted to refine whats been said, get the sources from them and keep refining yourself. Think more of crowd-sourcing.
If this whole episode has taught us nothing else, it's that people are idiots.
Allayyyyfriggiinnnlullliiiaaa
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

wavedom wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:35 pm We practiced in the Dome on Sunday.
Ah, ok. Still an unplanned day off is highly suspicious.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Whatever the reason, we are scheduled to practice this morning, per Guerry.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

ml wave wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:40 am
wavedom wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:35 pm We practiced in the Dome on Sunday.
Ah, ok. Still an unplanned day off is highly suspicious.

It is suspicious but there are factors like social justice issues out there. As for my post I was just making it clear to everyone what the situation is.
We deserve so much better
pearlriverwave
Navigator Level

Unread post by pearlriverwave »

BACONWAVE wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:20 pm

ON A BRIGHTER NOTE,

Facebook would be part of the non-trusted part. Facebook and what seems to be the bulk of the post are either political persuasion or posturing post. Let me explain what the wisdom of the crowds I'm talking about. It is not relying on conventional wisdom, majority opinion, or "expert" opinion. It is letting the "crowd" express individual conclusions or thoughts about a problem. You then collect the more reasonable conclusions and refine as best you can. You can also listen for other voices in the crowd who have attempted to refine whats been said, get the sources from them and keep refining yourself. Think more of crowd-sourcing.
NY TIMES: Up to 90% Who’ve Tested COVID-Positive Wrongly Diagnosed! TRUTH: A Whole Lot Worse! (Pt 3/3)
TU23
President's Circle

Unread post by TU23 »

I think this was pretty simple. On Monday, we took the day off from practice because of the Jacob Blake shooting and to give our players a chance to discuss social justice topics and be heard. Because we had no game this week and we’ve been going hard, it wasn’t going to hurt us to take a breather. Tuesday was scheduled. From what I’ve been told, yesterday was to give our players a chance to get tested and get results due to the recent spike on campus. We wanted to make sure our team wasn’t spreading it amongst themselves at practice. Apparently all is clear. Time to focus on South Alabama.
This one belongs to the Wave.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

I'll just leave this here....

https://www.centredaily.com/sports/coll ... 48050.html

Penn State's director of athletic medicine, Wayne Sebastianelli, says that cardiac MRI scans revealed that roughly 30-35 percent of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 appeared to have myocarditis.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

According to Ed Daniels we have increased testing to 3 times a week.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
waverider
Cornerstone

WaveProf wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:19 am I'll just leave this here....

https://www.centredaily.com/sports/coll ... 48050.html

Penn State's director of athletic medicine, Wayne Sebastianelli, says that cardiac MRI scans revealed that roughly 30-35 percent of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 appeared to have myocarditis.
That’s a treatable inflammation caused by a viral infection and in rare cases can be severe. Big10 just trying to justify their decision.
Tulane Greenbackers

ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

TU23 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:02 am I think this was pretty simple. On Monday, we took the day off from practice because of the Jacob Blake shooting and to give our players a chance to discuss social justice topics and be heard. Because we had no game this week and we’ve been going hard, it wasn’t going to hurt us to take a breather. Tuesday was scheduled. From what I’ve been told, yesterday was to give our players a chance to get tested and get results due to the recent spike on campus. We wanted to make sure our team wasn’t spreading it amongst themselves at practice. Apparently all is clear. Time to focus on South Alabama.
That all makes sense, I'll come down off high alert, lol.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

pearlriverwave wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:54 am

ON A BRIGHTER NOTE,

NY TIMES: Up to 90% Who’ve Tested COVID-Positive Wrongly Diagnosed! TRUTH: A Whole Lot Worse! (Pt 3/3)
This is not a NY Times post. Someone make it stop. This is why we don't get political!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

ON A BRIGHTER NOTE,

Uh, what?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

ml wave wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:38 am

ON A BRIGHTER NOTE,

Uh, what?
He's quoting an article from redstateDOTcom, I'm sure a super neutral, scientific site.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:39 am
ml wave wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:38 am

ON A BRIGHTER NOTE,

Uh, what?
He's quoting an article from redstateDOTcom, I'm sure a super neutral, scientific site.
The problem is that half the country would say the headline is ridiculous and proves ml's "if nothing else" theory above, while the other half would say that the headline is legit and therefore proves ml's theory. So... half the country is what ml said... but which half?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Maybe we should crowd source?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Also, even taking the 90% as true, wouldn't that make the virus 10x as deadly?
CT Wave
Coach Level

Unread post by CT Wave »

Can't really say that without knowing how many diagnosed as negative were also incorrect.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

CT Wave wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:42 pm Can't really say that without knowing how many diagnosed as negative were also incorrect.
Sure, but presumably they were displaying symptoms and hospitalized prior to dying
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:56 pm
CT Wave wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:42 pm Can't really say that without knowing how many diagnosed as negative were also incorrect.
Sure, but presumably they were displaying symptoms and hospitalized prior to dying
Meh, they all died from comorbidities. 8)
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

Hey....USA vs USM kicks off in a couple hours!!!!
sprout1550
Coach Level

Unread post by sprout1550 »

MattK wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:53 pm Hey....USA vs USM kicks off in a couple hours!!!!
nm
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Marathon Wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:22 pm
pearlriverwave wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:51 pm so you use 1 example out of thousands and turn our country upside down.
I could tell you about my son's teacher's wife who was a perfectly healthy early 50s woman with no underlying conditions and how his teacher will miss the next two weeks or more of school because tomorrow is the day they have to make the call to remove life support since her lungs are filled with blood clots and there's nothing more they can do. I know, I know, "but the teacher himself and their kids all got it too and they were fine.". Sure, what's one death per every few households? Pick somebody, as long as it ain't you, right?
Just asking: Do you actually, personally, know your son's teacher's wife? I've rad several instances where "someone died with no underlying problems" only to later find out, oops, there were diabetic, or had heart problems, or were a pack-a-day smoker, or something else. I do have a suppressed immune system, but I feel this virus isn't as "deadly" as the press, and some people, make it out to be.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
waverider
Cornerstone

Marathon Wave wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:01 am
pearlriverwave wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:51 pm so you use 1 example out of thousands and turn our country upside down.
I could tell you about my son's teacher's wife who was a perfectly healthy early 50s woman with no underlying conditions and how his teacher will miss the next two weeks or more of school because tomorrow is the day they have to make the call to remove life support since her lungs are filled with blood clots and there's nothing more they can do. I know, I know, "but the teacher himself and their kids all got it too and they were fine.". Sure, what's one death per every few households? Pick somebody, as long as it ain't you, right?
Just asking: Do you actually, personally, know your son's teacher's wife? I've rad several instances where "someone died with no underlying problems" only to later find out, oops, there were diabetic, or had heart problems, or were a pack-a-day smoker, or something else. I do have a suppressed immune system, but I feel this virus isn't as "deadly" as the press, and some people, make it out to be.
Since that misleading “6%” article came out I’ve heard a couple different doctors try to explain the data. It sounds like most people, including doctors, are misreading the data in thinking the virus is making those conditions worse, when in fact, it’s the underlying conditions that are making the virus worse. Meaning the virus, as you say, isn’t as deadly, but some people with severe underlying conditions are more susceptible to having complications from the virus. Basically what most have felt all along, healthy people will feel bad a few days and recover with no problems.
Tulane Greenbackers

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

waverider wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:58 am
Marathon Wave wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:01 am
Since that misleading “6%” article came out I’ve heard a couple different doctors try to explain the data. It sounds like most people, including doctors, are misreading the data in thinking the virus is making those conditions worse, when in fact, it’s the underlying conditions that are making the virus worse. Meaning the virus, as you say, isn’t as deadly, but some people with severe underlying conditions are more susceptible to having complications from the virus. Basically what most have felt all along, healthy people will feel bad a few days and recover with no problems.
Can we agree on one thing? That is, when you are dead you are dead.

For my last physical exam with a new GP he was surprised when reviewing my records that I do not take any prescription drugs. Outside of the occasional Advil for overdoing it, that’s it. I asked him why and he said that the average American over the age of 50 takes four prescriptions and twice that are not uncommon. I am 64.

The point is that it’s pretty common for Americans to have underlying medical conditions. We are a fat nation. We eat and drink too much. We have sedentary lifestyles. Diabetes is everywhere and getting worse. Asthma is not uncommon. Heart disease still is our number one killer. Smokers know the risks and do it anyway. Cancer killed my youngest sister last year despite excellent health beforehand. From my totally unscientific view underlying conditions are more normal than a rarity. So if you want to say the virus exacerbated an underlying condition or the underlying condition exacerbated the virus, either way you might get pretty sick and maybe take a dirt nap. Dead is dead. And that does not even address the long haulers with problematic symptoms long after “recovery”.

A good chunk of American 18 year olds who apply cannot pass the military entrance physical exam even though they self select. College athletes are a small cohort of young people in the best physical condition and is why there are valid discussions of whether they can take the gamble with lesser consequences. For the rest of us it’s disingenuous to split hairs on whether it is ‘underlying+COVID=dead‘ or ‘COVID+underlying=dead‘. And sometimes, just plain ‘COVID=dead‘. Dead is dead.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium