Navy - thoughts on BYU masacre

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
Marathon Wave
Crest Level

Navy - thoughts on BYU masacre

Post by Marathon Wave »

Any thoughts on Navy's horrific home opener showing? Are they that bad or is BYU that good?

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: Navy - thoughts on BYU masacre

Post by gerryb323 »

hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I only watched a few minutes of the 3Q and by then it was out of hand. I think this was an outlier for both teams but of course it’s a long, weird season and we won’t be able to tell until both teams play 3-4 more games.

Of course Navy misses their record setting QB who is now in the Fleet somewhere. That talent, in their system, would be hard for them to replicate right out of the chute.

As the article says and countless have pointed out before, BYU has an almost unfair institutional advantage of getting most of their players after they have been out on their LDS missions for a couple of years—even their first year players, and that’s only if they haven’t been redshirted, are 20+ years old. Their 5th year seniors can be 25. That makes a big difference on the line play with 24-25 year olds going against 21-22 year olds. It showed last night. BYU could have named the score.

Not tackling much or at all in August obviously hurt Navy. I bet their staff regrets it big time. They’ll get better.

Both Army and Navy rely on an early lead, then keep away ball control for the rest of the game. That was impossible for Navy last night. They were down by 6 or more touchdowns before a FG by then against the scrubs. Stats show Navy was very poor on 3rd and 4th down conversions which is usually the key to their offense. It was impotent last night for all the reasons above.

If they play this game in October I think it’s much closer than last night but BYU still wins easily. Navy was humiliated and I wouldn’t want to be a Navy player in practice this week. They will be much readier for us with twelve days to prepare but from what I saw last week, Navy has its work cut out for it.
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere

Marathon Wave
Crest Level

Post by Marathon Wave »

Thanks TUPF. I hadn't seen any of game, but read articles. I agree with the loss of Perry. Navy won't have the offense they had last year, he was a major player.