FRITZ EXTENSION

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

FRITZ EXTENSION

Post by 1309th WAVE »

THROUGH 2026

SALARY DETAILS TBA BECAUSE PRIVATE SCHOOLS DON'T GOTTA TELL US ANYTHING
https://footballscoop.com/news/report-w ... at-tulane/

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN... WE GOT HIM
waverider
Cornerstone

Re: FRITZ EXTENSION

Post by waverider »

Good news (recognizing contracts are broken al the time). Hopefully it includes a nice buyout clause.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I'd hope the buyout, whatever it is, starts to shrink after the first couple of years.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I like what Fritz has done but seven years seems like a big bet. It also means at his age that it’s a ride into the sunset.

Now if in 3-5 years if we are consistently winning 9-10 games with program fortunes rising my tune might be different but just seems like a $15M gamble (Est. $1.6M/year with raises for 7 years).
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

TUPF wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:15 pm I like what Fritz has done but seven years seems like a big bet. It also means at his age that it’s a ride into the sunset.

Now if in 3-5 years if we are consistently winning 9-10 games with program fortunes rising my tune might be different but just seems like a $15M gamble (Est. $1.6M/year with raises for 7 years).
Depends on the buyout amounts. If they get low at the back end it gives you a recruiting tool at no real cost.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

TUPF wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:15 pm I like what Fritz has done but seven years seems like a big bet. It also means at his age that it’s a ride into the sunset.

I'm not saying I'm 110% sold on Fritz with NO reservations, BUT.....

Given we've had literally zero coaches (other than Bowden who was never going to stay) show equal potential on the field + recruiting at the same time in, how many decades? ......

Seems like it is better to hitch our wagon to him than the open market. And if we know others are coming after him (as they have been) it is best to make him happy ahead of time.

If the buyout goes down over the years, especially, this is a good deal.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

WaveProf wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:30 pm

I'm not saying I'm 110% sold on Fritz with NO reservations, BUT.....

Given we've had literally zero coaches (other than Bowden who was never going to stay) show equal potential on the field + recruiting at the same time in, how many decades? ......

Seems like it is better to hitch our wagon to him than the open market. And if we know others are coming after him (as they have been) it is best to make him happy ahead of time.

If the buyout goes down over the years, especially, this is a good deal.
Fair enough. When he inevitably loses Hall he’ll be tested as to what the next hire looks like. Don’t get me wrong, as a 45 year fan we’ve seen a lot of duds along the way and for the first time in my memory we have a program builder. Bowden was like the hot prom date—exhilarating for the night but gone in the morning. Now if we could just get past these infuriatingly slow starts in games and play a full four quarters we’d have nothing (well, almost nothing) to kvetch about.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Radio Wave
President's Circle

Post by Radio Wave »

I like everything about Fritz. He understands Tulane and uses it to his advantage. Imagine that! Roll Wave!
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Fritz has not been a good hire--he's been a great hire. We were in the football toilet ever since Katrina. We are now contenders and tied for the western division championship in his third season. We are contenders, albeit a dark horse. We need consistency, stability and, yes, sustainability in the worst way. If we can compete in the AAC, our program will continue to improve.

Our talent level at RB is 5, FIVE, deep. If there is any criticism, it is at QB talent and depth. Our lines are competitive and have depth. When changes are made, they are for the better (OC, OL coach). We have successfully worked the transfer system. All things seem to be going in a positive direction. The only concern is keeping capable assistants -- paying assistants competitive salaries. Every program has that problem. I would be willing to bet that Willie has several names if and when Hall leaves.

I'm glad Tulane has shown the foresight to give WF an extension and that he signed it. I don't see him getting lazy and I think he has a competitive fire to get things done.
Plan your work, work your plan.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

long green wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:08 am I'd hope the buyout, whatever it is, starts to shrink after the first couple of years.
You're looking at it wrong
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

gerryb323 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:01 pm
long green wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:08 am I'd hope the buyout, whatever it is, starts to shrink after the first couple of years.
You're looking at it wrong
No, you need to maintain freedom of action for when it's needed.

The only reason to do this is not to make sure Fritz is our coach in 2026 but because you're convinced the near future, which I'd define as through the 2022 season, is going to be very good.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

how much longer until this fanbase starts acting like winners jfc

I'd like to think Typical Tulane, as it is known, is shot and buried. We've given the best coach we've had in 20 years what amounts a retirement package. He has our blessing to run a damn good football program, ride off into the sunset, and never buy a drink uptown again. The other shoe might not drop on this one! Get the martini olives out ffs!
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

1309th WAVE wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:43 pm how much longer until this fanbase starts acting like winners jfc

I'd like to think Typical Tulane, as it is known, is shot and buried. We've given the best coach we've had in 20 years what amounts a retirement package. He has our blessing to run a damn good football program, ride off into the sunset, and never buy a drink uptown again. The other shoe might not drop on this one! Get the martini olives out ffs!
Hear hear
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

When you boys are talking "buyout" here, is it the amount Tulane pays if we want Coach Fritz to stop being the coach, or is the amount Coach pays Tulane if he wants to leave?
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

CT Wave wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:14 pm When you boys are talking "buyout" here, is it the amount Tulane pays if we want Coach Fritz to stop being the coach, or is the amount Coach pays Tulane if he wants to leave?
Yes
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

CT Wave wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:14 pm When you boys are talking "buyout" here, is it the amount Tulane pays if we want Coach Fritz to stop being the coach, or is the amount Coach pays Tulane if he wants to leave?
Yes. I would expect them to be the same amount for whoever breaks the contract (by firing or resigning).
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

When are we going to act like winners? When we no longer think 6-6 is a good regular season. Fritz is doing a good job and deserves support. But he's yet to take the next step. If 1309 thinks he has already he's the one with the problem.
Greenie17
Rookie

Post by Greenie17 »

When are we going to act like winners? When we no longer think 6-6 is a good regular season. Fritz is doing a good job and deserves support. But he's yet to take the next step. If 1309 thinks he has already he's the one with the problem.
I don't think anyone is content with 6-6 but from where the program was under CJ to now it is clear that there have been massive strides made. Continued progress is definitely the expectation but 6-6 with a bowl win isn't a terrible floor.
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

We should expect from WF what he expects of the team this year: WF needs to go from good to great.

He has undeniably improved every aspect of the team. But he has things that he needs to improve: End of half and game time management is one.
Recruitment of a top notch QB. Slow out of the gate is really inexcusable yet it has repeatedly happened. And he knows this.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

What the frick is wrong with you people? I'll take 7-6 for a decade. Did all you get head injuries? We were a frick dumpster fire for 15 years. Stability leads to success. We need stability
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

windywave wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:31 pm What the frick is wrong with you people? I'll take 7-6 for a decade. Did all you get head injuries? We were a frick dumpster fire for 15 years. Stability leads to success. We need stability
nah... not for a decade, but two straight 7-6 with bowl wins definitely removes that dumpster fire smoke stench... and now it's time to get a new, really nice dumpster that's the envy of the rest of the conference
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

You say not for a decade, but from 2002 until Coach Fritz in 2018, our only winning season was under CCJ in 2013 at 7-6. Sure seemed like a dumpster fire.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

long green wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:14 pm When are we going to act like winners? When we no longer think 6-6 is a good regular season. Fritz is doing a good job and deserves support. But he's yet to take the next step. If 1309 thinks he has already he's the one with the problem.
I agree,...but as far as contacts its a different ball game. CWF hates to lose more than any other coach we have had here in my lifetime. He has won more than any coach. He has shown no symptoms of just coasting at any point in his career. He fired his long time OC after a up year when he certainly didn't have to. He appears address problems whether it be coaching, penalties, special teams, whatever. There have been bumps, but they have been smoothed over. Of coarse the disappointment is the lack of high level QB play and a real passing game in a time where you have to pass and have high level qb play to win the shootout games against teams like Memphis and UCF in our conference. I know we are getting older, but if we avgerage 7.5 wins over the next 4 seasons with 4 more bowls(including this year), then we will have had the best run of football in what 70 years?
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Honest question, because I'm not enough of a historian to know:
is there a program that was bad for a long time, then became "stable" (say, in the 6 to 8 win range) for a while, maybe like even 5 to 10 years, under the same coach, then moved up into the upper echelon and started winning 8 to 11 annually?

I'm thinking no power school would hang onto a 6-to-8-win guy that long so it would have to be a school that was not a "power" school at the start. I know VT was not good for a while and was very patient with Beamer, right? Any others that are better examples?

What I'm specifically thinking about is recruiting. Kids have such short memories these days that I wonder how many years of 6, 7, 8 wins you would need before you were recruiting kids who didn't even remember you were a dumpster fire for 15 years. We've been "trending up" for a couple of years now in all the preseason mags, but yet no one is picking us higher than like 5th to 7th... so we've "sorta" started turning the general public's perception around, but not quite. Coaches recruiting against us can still point to our recent past and say "you can't win there", but a couple more years of 7 wins, or especially more than 7, and they can't do that any more. Then all we're up against is the stupid P5 bias...
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:50 pm Honest question, because I'm not enough of a historian to know:
is there a program that was bad for a long time, then became "stable" (say, in the 6 to 8 win range) for a while, maybe like even 5 to 10 years, under the same coach, then moved up into the upper echelon and started winning 8 to 11 annually?

I'm thinking no power school would hang onto a 6-to-8-win guy that long so it would have to be a school that was not a "power" school at the start. I know VT was not good for a while and was very patient with Beamer, right? Any others that are better examples?

What I'm specifically thinking about is recruiting. Kids have such short memories these days that I wonder how many years of 6, 7, 8 wins you would need before you were recruiting kids who didn't even remember you were a dumpster fire for 15 years. We've been "trending up" for a couple of years now in all the preseason mags, but yet no one is picking us higher than like 5th to 7th... so we've "sorta" started turning the general public's perception around, but not quite. Coaches recruiting against us can still point to our recent past and say "you can't win there", but a couple more years of 7 wins, or especially more than 7, and they can't do that any more. Then all we're up against is the stupid P5 bias...
I'll give you one definite program and several perhaps: Definite: KSU under Snyder; perhaps VPI under Beamer and perhaps Navy under its current coach and I guess I could throw TCU under Franchione and mostly Patterson in there too

Before Snyder KSU was the worst historical program in a D1 football major conference.