So.....This is a Thing

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

So.....This is a Thing

Post by gerryb323 »

Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
waverider
Cornerstone

Re: So.....This is a Thing

Post by waverider »

I was just coming to post the same thing. Can’t wait to see their garden.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

That's "UT Alumnus".
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

If the only requirement was a warm body with AD experience I guess this works. He must have been cheap
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

We must absolutely destroy Tulsa when we play them
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Bham Wave
President's Circle

Post by Bham Wave »

Tulsa better hope they don’t have to hire a coach while he is there.

Dickson did three good things while he was at Tulane. He helped get us thru the Katrina year, he got us into the Big East, and he got football back on campus.

Other than that he was a total failure
Roll Wave Roll!!!
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

Bham Wave wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:26 pm Tulsa better hope they don’t have to hire a coach while he is there.

Dickson did three good things while he was at Tulane. He helped get us thru the Katrina year, he got us into the Big East, and he got football back on campus.

You forgot surviving the review.

Those 4 are all pretty big given the battle he was certainly having to fight with his boss.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Bham Wave wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:26 pm Tulsa better hope they don’t have to hire a coach while he is there.
Well, that's the thing, they won't. No matter how poorly any of their teams do... As long as they are graduating at a decent rate and "making the university proud", it's not all about wins. Things like helping to plant flowers on campus matter!

Surely.. SURELY... some Tulsa person paid enough attention to Tulane to see what happened to us in that time and to be aware of the risk they're taking..
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

MattK wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:09 pm

You forgot surviving the review.

Those 4 are all pretty big given the battle he was certainly having to fight with his boss.
He didn't help us thru Katrina. He used and abused the football program by making them play every game in a different stadium. We never played in the Big East. They broke up b/c of us. He ruined football so much we were forced back on campus and still play to the few thousand that watched in the Dome. He didn't even know the review was going on till it got leaked. The diehards saved Tulane athletics not him. He was a total and complete failure.

The truth is Katrina saved Tulane athletics. The review ended with benchmarks that needed to be met within five years. We were nowhere near meeting those benchmarks because he went back to his tennis game and collecting his check as usual. No Katrina, we don't meet the benchmarks and the plug gets pulled.
We deserve so much better
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:03 pm The truth is Katrina saved Tulane athletics. The review ended with benchmarks that needed to be met within five years. We were nowhere near meeting those benchmarks because he went back to his tennis game and collecting his check as usual. No Katrina, we don't meet the benchmarks and the plug gets pulled.
This is the giant thing no one ever talks about. I remember getting a phone call from an athlete (volleyball player at the time) asking me for a donation and explaining the goal that had been set. I hung up thinking "there's no way we're raising that with how bad our whole department is right now". Then Katrina came a couple of years later and all the budgets got redone and I assumed, though never heard officially, that all of that was out the window, especially since they jumped on the "athletics is the name, face, torch" thing.

Only thing I don't agree with is that the Big East broke up because of us. That's a convenient storyline for people who didn't think us good enough for a larger conference, but the truth is the Catholic basketball schools all wanted to do their own thing as soon as the Big East got kicked out of the BCS money (when the BCS broke up and became the P5 and they created the CFP). The timing just happened to be such that when the conference said "we have to add teams for football", those schools said "alright, if we're gonna leave, this is the time to do it". So it wasn't that Tulane broke up the Big East, it was the confluence of all those events and we just happened to be one of the added teams. To be clear, Wavedom, I suspect you know this and were just writing it that way to save words, but it still bothers me when I hear that because Cincinnati fans up here still occasionally make remarks about Tulane breaking up the Big East and causing them to lose out of BCS money as though everything would still be the same as 2010 otherwise.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

You're right Pete I do know that. Unfortunately though perception is reality and we are stuck with that forever.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:52 am You're right Pete I do know that. Unfortunately though perception is reality and we are stuck with that forever.
The solution is to win the AAC several years in football and be competitive for the league in hoops and then folks will forget we were once that bad. :wink:
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Yep.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:58 pm
Well, that's the thing, they won't. No matter how poorly any of their teams do... As long as they are graduating at a decent rate and "making the university proud", it's not all about wins. Things like helping to plant flowers on campus matter!

Surely.. SURELY... some Tulsa person paid enough attention to Tulane to see what happened to us in that time and to be aware of the risk they're taking..
The Tulsa model!!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

ml wave wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:34 pm

The Tulsa model!!
Maybe we'll see a Tulsa "Playbook".
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:50 pm
ml wave wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:34 pm

The Tulsa model!!
Maybe we'll see a Tulsa "Playbook".
Tip: make sure you turn the soil at least 6 inches deep to give the roots room to grow.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

INTERIM TAG REMOVED!!!
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:19 am INTERIM TAG REMOVED!!!
Omg
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

gerryb323 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:19 am INTERIM TAG REMOVED!!!
Wow. Well, our futures schedules in every sport except horticulture just got easier....
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

He's already added a four game series with Army (2025-2028). He's got either Oklahoma OR Oklahoma State on the schedule every year through 2033, other than 2022 (when the only P5 OOC is @Ole Miss), and he has a second P5 team more years than not. But we'll see how long that lasts :angel:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

WaveProf wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:51 pm He's already added a four game series with Army (2025-2028). He's got either Oklahoma OR Oklahoma State on the schedule every year through 2033, other than 2022 (when the only P5 OOC is @Ole Miss), and he has a second P5 team more years than not. But we'll see how long that lasts :angel:
It helps that OU and OSU aren't afraid of Tulsa.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

OSU and OU aren't scared to play Tulsa because neither are the "only" big fish in the state. That makes the situation different.

I'm assuming most all of the OSU/OU games were scheduled pre-RD, my point was more whether or not he'll try to get out of them, or, if he keeps them, what games he surrounds them with on the OOC schedule
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

WaveProf wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:37 pm OSU and OU aren't scared to play Tulsa because neither are the "only" big fish in the state. That makes the situation different.

I'm assuming most all of the OSU/OU games were scheduled pre-RD, my point was more whether or not he'll try to get out of them, or, if he keeps them, what games he surrounds them with on the OOC schedule
I wouldn't assume he gets a choice in that. If OU and OSU want the games, there's no politic way to prevent it in that state.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

WaveProf wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:37 pm OSU and OU aren't scared to play Tulsa because neither are the "only" big fish in the state. That makes the situation different.

Rice, come on down!