I'm not disgusted

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Re: I'm not disgusted

Unread post by OGSB »

visualmagic wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:31 pm
tjtlja wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:27 pm UCF had 798 yards of offense and lost to Memphis. On the other side, Memphis had 703 yards. I say let the first team defense take a week off, and go to Orlando with the 2nd string and scout team. Give those guys some experience.

Seriously, the rules have to change some. These numbers are ridiculous. This is flag football.
What rules do you propose they change?
I’ll start: If your team speed is greater than the oppenent’s, you can only speed walk.

Maybe some kind of soccer type rule, where if the ball carrier gets behind the defense, he’s the one in the wrong and the offense gets penalized.

Hell, just ask defensive coordinators what they don’t like to defend against and make all that illegal.
Victory is never permanent
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

What about no hurry up until under 7:30 minutes in each half. What that would look like is you half to wait till the play clock gets under 15 or 10 to snap.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Unread post by BACONWAVE »

Poseidon wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:01 pm What about no hurry up until under 7:30 minutes in each half. What that would look like is you half to wait till the play clock gets under 15 or 10 to snap.
We need some hurry up....screen passes since we have trouble blocking....quick passes..etc...nothing slow developing like double reverses or flea flicker crap.
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Any number of points team A scores, an equal number of points must be awarded to team B. And vice versa.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

The one rule I would like changed is the DB’s being able to use there hands more. Not holding, not tackling, but the ability to be a little physical down the field while the ball is not in the air. Sort of like hand checking in the NBA. The UCF-Memphis game is too much offense. Maybe TUPF can add something since he is an official.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

ESPN crawl just said that Dillon Gabriel is the first QB to pass for 600 yards in a loss since Patrick Mahomes in 2016.

All I need is a fact check.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

OGSB wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:35 pm ESPN crawl just said that Dillon Gabriel is the first QB to pass for 600 yards in a loss since Patrick Mahomes in 2016.

All I need is a fact check.
Also per the scroll, first QB in last 15 years to throw 2 TDS of 85+ yards. One was a 97 TD WR screen that was caught behind the LOS.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
waverider
Cornerstone

Poseidon wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:01 pm What about no hurry up until under 7:30 minutes in each half. What that would look like is you half to wait till the play clock gets under 15 or 10 to snap.
On the WF show he said from an injury standpoint he’d like a rule that you can’t snap the ball until there are 25 seconds left on a 40 second play clock. Mentioned the hurry up can lead to a player getting hurt by staying on the field when fatigued.
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:10 pm
On the WF show he said from an injury standpoint he’d like a rule that you can’t snap the ball until there are 25 seconds left on a 40 second play clock. Mentioned the hurry up can lead to a player getting hurt by staying on the field when fatigued.
So we have an offensive coordinator who talked a lot when he arrived about liking to go hurry-up, mix up tempo, keep the other team on their heels... and every time we do it, the opponents fake injury and the refs stop us... but we suffer from opponents doing it enough that our head coach thinks it should be outlawed. That's just... I don't even know what to say about that.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

If it hurts me, it should be outlawed.

And I mean it!
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Unread post by Wandering Quaker »

As is the case in many other things, you don't really have to change the rules to level the playing field. Calling offensive holding more often on passing plays and plays in which offensive players are exposed at the edge and grab the player opposite would do more to slow down the passing game than anything else. Enforce the existing rules, and the game suddenly looks much different. The risk/reward calculus for passing plays, espcially slow-developing ones, would change dramatically.

I can think of a number rule changes that would make the game less offense-friendly--without changing the ability of the offense to make forward passes, draw up creative plays, etc. But I don't think you have to institute those if you just call more of the pervasive holding on passing plays.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:14 pm
So we have an offensive coordinator who talked a lot when he arrived about liking to go hurry-up, mix up tempo, keep the other team on their heels... and every time we do it, the opponents fake injury and the refs stop us... but we suffer from opponents doing it enough that our head coach thinks it should be outlawed. That's just... I don't even know what to say about that.
Than why say anything at all
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

tjtlja wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:57 am
PeteRasche wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:14 pm
Than why say anything at all
It's just static. Saban complains about this stuff all the time while doing it himself. He seems to be an OK coach.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

WF makes a great point about injuries.

The whole point of this is I don’t like the trend. Just way too many points and yards. There has to be a middle ground. When you look at the P5, the joke has been the Big 12. This year, I have seen this same moniker being attached to the almighty SEC. The only “defensive” trend I have seen work is rush 3 and drop 8. Kentucky, Arkansas, and Texas A&M used it against Miss State. Arkansas used it against Ole Miss yesterday. It slows the fast pace down. I was hoping WF would employ that against SMU or blitz more. I would love to see our coaches do something to help our secondary. Certainly our record would be no worse than it currently is.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

If we want to see better defense, we need to see better defensive systems designed to deal with the new offensive schemes. There is nothing about the new offensive schemes that is any more "radical" than other new schemes before it, they are just the latest new kids and people don't like change. How would TU fans have felt if people's response to the spread was "change the rules" vs "scheme to stop it"?

I don't love watching super high tempo, but it's a strategy like any other. It isn't a boogie man. If it hurts us, that is on us, and our coaching and talent.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Wandering Quaker wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:51 am As is the case in many other things, you don't really have to change the rules to level the playing field. Calling offensive holding more often on passing plays and plays in which offensive players are exposed at the edge and grab the player opposite would do more to slow down the passing game than anything else. Enforce the existing rules, and the game suddenly looks much different. The risk/reward calculus for passing plays, espcially slow-developing ones, would change dramatically.

I can think of a number rule changes that would make the game less offense-friendly--without changing the ability of the offense to make forward passes, draw up creative plays, etc. But I don't think you have to institute those if you just call more of the pervasive holding on passing plays.
You don't want to officiate, play, or watch a game in which every holding foul is called. The game would have no flow, would be interminable, and would be unwatchable.

That being said my officials association has a philosophy of not calling fouls that are not material to the play unless it's safety related. If I've seen a foul tens of yards behind the play I just turn a blind eye to because its usually a frustration foul or two bigs tangling long after everyone else has moved down the field. A blindside block, a personal foul, unsportsmanlike conduct--I'll flag that 50 yards from the play because it's more about keeping a lid on the game and cooling emotions. I've even sent a kid off for a play so he can get a grip and not get thrown out later for throwing a punch. That's much more important in high school even than on Saturdays. A hold on the other side of the field or 20 yards behind a play, or something in the last minute or two of a game out of hand--not so much. 8)
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
waverider
Cornerstone

TUPF wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:23 pm
Wandering Quaker wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:51 am As is the case in many other things, you don't really have to change the rules to level the playing field. Calling offensive holding more often on passing plays and plays in which offensive players are exposed at the edge and grab the player opposite would do more to slow down the passing game than anything else. Enforce the existing rules, and the game suddenly looks much different. The risk/reward calculus for passing plays, espcially slow-developing ones, would change dramatically.

You don't want to officiate, play, or watch a game in which every holding foul is called. The game would have no flow, would be interminable, and would be unwatchable.

That being said my officials association has a philosophy of not calling fouls that are not material to the play unless it's safety related. If I've seen a foul tens of yards behind the play I just turn a blind eye to because its usually a frustration foul or two bigs tangling long after everyone else has moved down the field. A blindside block, a personal foul, unsportsmanlike conduct--I'll flag that 50 yards from the play because it's more about keeping a lid on the game and cooling emotions. I've even sent a kid off for a play so he can get a grip and not get thrown out later for throwing a punch. That's much more important in high school even than on Saturdays. A hold on the other side of the field or 20 yards behind a play, or something in the last minute or two of a game out of hand--not so much. 8)
I too would like to see more use of judgement when throwing flags and focus on those that have a direct impact on the play and, as you said, ones that could result in injury. You are right about not wanting holding called on every play as it could be. Too many times a play goes to the right and somewhere near the left sideline a WR is called for holding that wasn’t anywhere near the play and had no direct impact. On the flip side, Houston got away with holds at the point of attack the entire game. A couple of which were when we had a player in position to make a tackle but was held to prevent making the play.
Tulane Greenbackers

greenguy
Riptide Level

Unread post by greenguy »

College could adopt some of the NFL rules to help the defense - keep the clock running on first downs, use NFL balls (larger and smoother) and yes, call all holding penalties.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

greenguy wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:52 pm College could adopt some of the NFL rules to help the defense - keep the clock running on first downs, use NFL balls (larger and smoother) and yes, call all holding penalties.
Clock running on first down is a horrible idea. That rule is one of the things that makes CFB better than NFL. Ever watched a 2 minute drill at the end of the game knowing that the clock was going to run out in a period where the team literally is UNABLE to snap the ball?
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
CT Wave
Coach Level

Unread post by CT Wave »

greenguy wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:52 pm College could adopt some of the NFL rules to help the defense - keep the clock running on first downs, use NFL balls (larger and smoother) and yes, call all holding penalties.
All that clock running on first downs does is shorten the game. I guess you could say that helps the defense, but not what I would have in mind here.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight