2021 Football Recruiting

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
long green
Cornerstone

Re: 2021 Football Recruiting

Unread post by long green »

Cam and PJ have to be intending to try for the next level.

The first guy off that list you ask is Huderson. We have to go into next year with 6 game ready backs, excluding Tyjae. I'd also ask Toles. Insurance at wideout and he really is a good special teamer.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

These are strange times. Under the special COVID rules, other than players who have an immediate decent shot at the NFL (Johnson and Sample), I would not be surprised to see any player on this roster decide to come back or transfer somewhere else.

You fans want to evaluate Fritz's recruiting? Fritz always tells us the real coin in his pocket for recruiting is the Tulane education with free tuition. How many of these people he already has decide to stay?

Who knows maybe the roster next year will resemble in BYU's in dates of birth? :green wink:
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Dublin would have to be in line to set a record for games played or close to it!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
long green
Cornerstone

Bringing back "as many as you can" might not be such a great idea for any program. It needs to be done selectively. Having Moody back sounds good, but what if it ticked off a promising younger guy like Machado? I could think of other examples. The veteran starter I'd sound out after Huderson would be Monroe.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

gerryb323 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:41 am Dublin would have to be in line to set a record for games played or close to it!
Didn't he block for Shaun King? :lol:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
TU23
President's Circle

Unread post by TU23 »

To me, the list of players who you'd consider coming back is this:

Huderson
Dublin
P. Johnson
Sample
Monroe
Moody OR Henry

Good corners are hard to find and while Monroe has his issues, he's still a good cover corner. Dublin, Huderson, Johnson and Sample are no brainers. As LG said, they're going to try to go pro, but if I'm Sample or PJ and get a third day grade, I come back...especially Sample who is still 20 (about to turn 21) and has just started to blossom. PJ's issues aren't going to be solved by coming back to school (size, length) so he can either go pro or come back for another year of college football. Either way, his draft grade is probably similar and if he leaves, he doesn't risk injury. I'd consider Moody or Henry if one of them wants to come back...but probably not both.

I can also see us purging some RS Jrs like normal and some of those kids who got scholarships for the year will come off that count too. I think we come back next year with 20 new spots on the 85 and we might keep a handful of Seniors we want to stick around. That way, with normal attrition, we're not going to throw our numbers off in future years.
This one belongs to the Wave.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

I disagree about Monroe, he needs more seasoning to be considered for any next level. I assume Dauphine would be on your list to come back, he's on mine. The ones leaving that most concern me are Dublin and Jeffery Johnson (yes I know he's a junior), who I believe is VERY underrated when discussing the success of our defense. If what is being said by the coaches is true about the OL, we really won't need anyone save Dublin to come back, except for depth.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Rotorooter wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:59 am I disagree about Monroe, he needs more seasoning to be considered for any next level. I assume Dauphine would be on your list to come back, he's on mine. The ones leaving that most concern me are Dublin and Jeffery Johnson (yes I know he's a junior), who I believe is VERY underrated when discussing the success of our defense. If what is being said by the coaches is true about the OL, we really won't need anyone save Dublin to come back, except for depth.
I love Dauphine but he is 25 and has a family to support. If he returns under the new NCAA comp rules, what could he get from endorsement money? $100??

If he recovers his speed he might have a chance to play a few years in the NFL (or even pro track?) He would be the biggest surprise to return. The second biggest would be Howard. I'd guess he goes FCS or the like so he has one last chance to play significant time.

Otherwise Fritz for years has voiced frustration with roster sizes and quality of scout team practices. Plus he always likes depth and competition at every position. I would not be surprised to see most of the current players return (whether they would play alot or not) if Dannen gives Fritz the budget to support them.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Otherwise Fritz for years has voiced frustration with roster sizes and quality of scout team practices. Plus he always likes depth and competition at every position. I would not be surprised to see most of the current players return (whether they would play alot or not) if Dannen gives Fritz the budget to support them.
[/quote]

Well stated there.

On offense we should welcome back the following:

Dublin and Knutson. Knutson couldn't cut it at guard but then has surprised at tackle. We still clearly lack depth there even with the recent freshman class. if he wants back we should keep him.

At WR we lack depth there and should keep Jones. He is starting to come on a little. Another year could hopefully help. Robertson and Toles shouls also be welcomed back.

At RB if Dauphine wants back we should take him. He was really trying to become an all around back and then the injury struck. He could really improve his stock if he came back with that same zeal to improve which I think he would. Huderson should come back too.

At QB if we aren't going to get a transfer with experience, which I doubt we will with Pratt's emergence, Howard should come back. People go on and on about his interception in the Navy game. They refuse to acknowledge the two drops by wide open players that would have been huge gains and one a likely TD in the second half. Yet when talking Pratt people will go on and on about the drops hurting his stats. Howard disappointed but if Pratt got injured we don't have anything behind him. I'm hopeful Ibieta can develop but he's not ready and we haven't had one recruit from Country Day other than Mathews in baseball that panned out for us. Very low level of competition there.

On defense:

Sample and Williams should stay. We have promising freshman but if we can hold the front portion of the D together next year could be a good one.

Our LB's are playing well. Moody and Henry should absolutely be welcomed back. Machado needs time to develop.

At DB Monroe and Kerr should stay.

ST's:

Glover should stay. The recruit we have had accuracy issues and will need time and may not pan out in the long run.

Our numbers won't be hurt next year or the future by doing this. Next season would be the most promising in a long time if we kept all of those players.
We deserve so much better
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

wavedom wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:03 am
ST's:

Glover should stay. The recruit we have had accuracy issues and will need time and may not pan out in the long run.
Great point on Glover. Two more years of Wright will be great too.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

wavedom wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:03 am Otherwise Fritz for years has voiced frustration with roster sizes and quality of scout team practices. Plus he always likes depth and competition at every position. I would not be surprised to see most of the current players return (whether they would play alot or not) if Dannen gives Fritz the budget to support them.
Well stated there.

On offense we should welcome back the following:

Dublin and Knutson. Knutson couldn't cut it at guard but then has surprised at tackle. We still clearly lack depth there even with the recent freshman class. if he wants back we should keep him.

At WR we lack depth there and should keep Jones. He is starting to come on a little. Another year could hopefully help. Robertson and Toles shouls also be welcomed back.

At RB if Dauphine wants back we should take him. He was really trying to become an all around back and then the injury struck. He could really improve his stock if he came back with that same zeal to improve which I think he would. Huderson should come back too.

At QB if we aren't going to get a transfer with experience, which I doubt we will with Pratt's emergence, Howard should come back. People go on and on about his interception in the Navy game. They refuse to acknowledge the two drops by wide open players that would have been huge gains and one a likely TD in the second half. Yet when talking Pratt people will go on and on about the drops hurting his stats. Howard disappointed but if Pratt got injured we don't have anything behind him. I'm hopeful Ibieta can develop but he's not ready and we haven't had one recruit from Country Day other than Mathews in baseball that panned out for us. Very low level of competition there.

On defense:

Sample and Williams should stay. We have promising freshman but if we can hold the front portion of the D together next year could be a good one.

Our LB's are playing well. Moody and Henry should absolutely be welcomed back. Machado needs time to develop.

At DB Monroe and Kerr should stay.

ST's:

Our numbers won't be hurt next year or the future by doing this. Next season would be the most promising in a long time if we kept all of those players.
[/quote]

Knutson is a second-year grad student. I would think you have to be a student to come back and play.

As for Howard, I'd say he would be much better off at a lower level program. Ibieta is the guy in waiting, panned out or not, and Keyes is a top recruit. There is no reason Howard should return, unless he wants to become a coach.

I forgot Dauphine has a family. Canada might be a great place for him. But I'd take him back in a heartbeat.
Plan your work, work your plan.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Have to agree to disagree on Howard. Too many people focus on only the QB position and ignore all the other issues. Drops, conservative play calling, poor O-Line play. Bad defense. He should be welcomed back if he's interested.
We deserve so much better
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Rotorooter wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:01 am Knutson is a second-year grad student. I would think you have to be a student to come back and play.
There's always more learnin' to be done
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

wavedom wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:20 am Have to agree to disagree on Howard. Too many people focus on only the QB position and ignore all the other issues. Drops, conservative play calling, poor O-Line play. Bad defense. He should be welcomed back if he's interested.
Good point about Howard. He was inconsistent passing but drops killed him. I would hope he stays but QB and kickers are the hardest positions to build decent depth because backups get little to no playing time. I get it when they move on because they are tired of riding the pine.

Finally because Pratt likes "physical" play, we may easily see Howard again this season if Pratt is injured. I think Howard was trying too hard earlier this season and then he got the yips when he faced some adversity. That is all fixable. He seems a first class guy. I hope in some manner he can enjoy success on the field at Tulane (as Pratt's backup to be sure.)
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

Baywave1 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:57 pm
wavedom wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:20 am Have to agree to disagree on Howard. Too many people focus on only the QB position and ignore all the other issues. Drops, conservative play calling, poor O-Line play. Bad defense. He should be welcomed back if he's interested.
Good point about Howard. He was inconsistent passing but drops killed him. I would hope he stays but QB and kickers are the hardest positions to build decent depth because backups get little to no playing time. I get it when they move on because they are tired of riding the pine.

Finally because Pratt likes "physical" play, we may easily see Howard again this season if Pratt is injured. I think Howard was trying too hard earlier this season and then he got the yips when he faced some adversity. That is all fixable. He seems a first class guy. I hope in some manner he can enjoy success on the field at Tulane (as Pratt's backup to be sure.)
I think Howard was clearly not ready. However, he has some serious rust and was given basically no playing time last year shake it off. I bet he would have gotten better the longer he played this year, but the problem was we couldn't be patient.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Donny Z
President's Circle

Unread post by Donny Z »

By all accounts Keon is a great young man. And no question he had some drops. But he also had some really bad throws and hasn't shown near the ability as Pratt has to make all the throws needed to open things up. I would argue the conservative play calling cited early on was to mask some of his limitations. From the moment Pratt took over the USM game we start opening up the offense/throwing long balls and the offense has continued to open up more and more as Pratt has gotten more experience. The best play callers call games around the talent they have and to me that is what Hall has done.

Also, we have highly regarded Ty Keyes coming in next year. First time in a long time we may have some real QB depth. Not saying I wouldn't mind Keon staying around, but I suspect Mr. Keyes will have a large say in the QB rotation behind Pratt next year.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

And we also have Billy Wiles joining the program.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Corey Platt announced his commitment on Twitter. Shows him as a LB
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
waverider
Cornerstone

It’s not Tulane related but Memphis has had a 4* LB and a 3* CB decommit recently.
Tulane Greenbackers

long green
Cornerstone

Both from LA. A LB from Ehret (small and fast) and a CB from Baton Rouge.
waverider
Cornerstone

long green wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:54 pm Both from LA. A LB from Ehret (small and fast) and a CB from Baton Rouge.
I didn’t realize that. Kind of makes it Tulane related. (I don’t know if we are actively recruiting them or not).
Tulane Greenbackers

Billow
Coach Level

Unread post by Billow »

Tulane offered both don’t know if offers are still on the table? Andrew Jones LB Ehret & Tyrell Raby CB Madison Prep
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

DB Dontae Balfour released a Top 5 of Auburn, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, and Tulane. Auburn is the leader.