LSU mishandled sexual misconduct complaints against students, including top athletes

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

LSU mishandled sexual misconduct complaints against students, including top athletes

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: LSU mishandled sexual misconduct complaints against students, including top athletes

Post by PeteRasche »

Well this is pretty much horrible in every way and I'm pretty much sure nothing will come of it.
Sigh.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Re: LSU mishandled sexual misconduct complaints against students, including top athletes

Post by CT Wave »

I am shocked -- shocked I tell you -- that this could be going on. Not at the Big State U.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

What I am shocked about is how this isn't a national top story. Not because "scandal at Big State U" but because the Me Too movement should be all over this. The fact that it isn't makes me think there's something not being said, either in the facts of the case or that there is some concerted effort being made to bury it.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

It's not yet at Baylor scale and there's a couple of other things in the papers these days. On the college athletics front every reporter is trying to find out if he's going to have a game to cover.

Sweep this under the rug? This sort of story is cumulative. If another unsuspected Guice/Davis is found in his program Orgeron will be out for cause. It's what happened at Baylor. Orgeron had a player defend him who pointed that all these guys were kicked off the team (except Guice, who left on his own). As long as that stays precisely where it is now...
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

long green wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:35 am If another unsuspected Guice/Davis is found in his program Orgeron will be out for cause.
So what you're saying is the effort by LSU to cover up any other offenders might be determined by whether or not LSU wins any more games this year? :wink: :lol:
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Great thought. And Baylor was the first thing I thought about when I read about this. Have to make you think that "how long has this been going on".

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:15 am
long green wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:35 am If another unsuspected Guice/Davis is found in his program Orgeron will be out for cause.
So what you're saying is the effort by LSU to cover up any other offenders might be determined by whether or not LSU wins any more games this year? :wink: :lol:
I certainly take your point (and laugh) but it really means he depends on the behavior of his worst guys.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:00 am What I am shocked about is how this isn't a national top story. Not because "scandal at Big State U" but because the Me Too movement should be all over this. The fact that it isn't makes me think there's something not being said, either in the facts of the case or that there is some concerted effort being made to bury it.
Well it being 2020 & all the other hoopla still going on...this is not on top of the political pandering totem poll. Plus what they are probably paying some of these people to shut up...or threatening them...is keeping this on the down low. How dare anyone question poor LSU. I hope this opens up all the cans of worms buried deep in Baton Rouge & gets some major people fired & other political/business people arrested.
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Rabalais take on this.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... 514fa.html

Quick random thoughts:

How did USA Today break this story? Where was the Advocate and local media with lots and lots of full time employees focusing on LSU sports and football in particular? I'll be blunt. Were any (many?) of them winking and nodding too? What are they doing now?

Amazingly Rabalais focus is not on how grimy this situation is but rather is Coach Scooby O an overpaid Chizik and LSU can use this to bail out of the contract? Rabalais is the guy most wired into the LSU infrastructure. So while he was asleep at the wheel, is his report today reflective of what his LSU sources are telling him or is it his speculation? You decide.

Finally as concerns the journalism, I recognize this might ignite some folks here. The essence of fake news is not an individual story or factoid being checked for accuracy. It's the editorial control of the media PTBs. It's "Is this a story worth covering" for whatever reasons or not (especially as Pete notes in this age of ME TOO?) My real question to Georges is why did your paper not break this story? With all the resources The Advocate/TP throw at LSU, how did a remote national newspaper scoop them on this?

None of the answers for "our local conscience" reflect well on The Advocate/TP: Not newsworthy? Not aware of it? Or worst of all, covering it up? I hope Georges lets his editors explain it as USA Today accepts its Pulitzer Prize for its reporting here.
LawGreenie
Coach Level

Post by LawGreenie »

MeToo is so 2018. Put on your damn mask and stay inside.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

I think Title IX is the problem here. It empowers universities to take action against these issues, but creates a clear trust divide between staff and players or an incentive to keep things quiet. Neither of which are good outcomes. Instead of counseling players or getting help for them the staff has to assume an antagonistic position. It incentivizes a don't ask, don't tell unsaid environment.

Let me illustrate a possible example. If I am player A and witness my friend player B in a relationship that is very dysfunctional and on the brink of violence then what is my incentive to talk about it to? If talk about it to just to player B; he doesn't change and it escalates then the staff ask why I didn't tell them. If I tell them and then it escalates it looks like they perhaps didn't report something they should have.

My biggest issue is where does this leave room for intervention, guidance, and "molding young men?" The truth is makes all of those risky propositions when doing so may cost you your job, career, or the job of those around you.

The current set up with Title IX only works if you believe that bad actions are stopped by negative consequences alone. In reality just as often, if not more, bad actions are stopped by positive intervention and redirection. The negative consequences should be pursued by local police or campus police.

If legal action pursued against a then clearly you suspend or expell.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Advocate Editorial Page is now weighing in plus columnist. In short, "Do the right thing, Forget narrow legalisms." We'll see.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... adba0.html

Interestingly the Advocate now has assigned news reporters to provide most/all coverage of this. Sports department LSU beat reporters occasionally cowrite daily updates but primary coverage has been removed from their hands. This is obviously not a compliment to the sports side of the paper including Rabalais.

Interesting and telling factoid from today's story: USA Today (not the Advocate) co-filed Open Records Request with an alleged victim and is now suing for full disclosure of relevant campus Police Reports.

Playing catchup on this is not going to stop USA Today from getting the Pulitzer instead of the Advocate. I bet Georges is really pleased about his investment here.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... bffdc.html

Behind a paywall.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

This is not directly related to the USA Today story about LSU football and sexual assault bit damn if it doesn't look like this program is falling apart before our eyes.

Yesterday LSU's top recruit from 2020 bailed on practice and went home and Ed Orgeron had to go on radio today and say that the kid and his family wanted to opt out to heal the kid. I don't think that adds up and not many are buying it. Lots of media types up in BR are saying that as many as a half dozen more players could bail out on Orgeron, who already has a badly depleted roster.

You hate to see this...