Bryce Bohanon WR Conway AR committed

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
long green
Cornerstone

Bryce Bohanon WR Conway AR committed

Post by long green »

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8360473/5f ... 0888204ca0

New name saying he's committed on Twitter. We are supposed to have offered a couple of weeks ago. No 247 profile and no other reported FBS offers. Nice looking hudl and he made All-state last year doing a lot of running and catching. Plays at a high classification school in Arkansas.

There's something about this one that makes me put a ? on it for now.
Last edited by long green on Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Re: Bryce Bohanon WR Conway AR committed?

Post by tjtlja »

This kid looks terrific. Good hands, high points the ball, and has speed. Height is the only issue. Really like this kid. He is a steal.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Good grades, multiple years of good performance at a high class? What are we missing? Size isn't a problem. He's a perfect size for a slot guy.

I still say something here makes me wonder if the kid jumped the gun.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

LG, looks like he has been offered by Central Arkansas, Henderson State, Northeastern University, Air Force, Pittsburgh State, and Army was involved. Leading the State of Arkansas in receiving yards. No idea why there aren’t more offers. Just hope he was a sleeper coming into his Senior year and blossomed overnight. He says we offered, so I will take his word until we hear otherwise. Really shows how much we are committed to Pratt and the passing game. We are going to sign anywhere between 8-10 offensive skill players. I expect us to sign another RB. The Holy Cross kid was cut loose.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

This is Conway recruiting Conway.
Who are Fritz' La recruiters?
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Looks good. He's listed at 5'10" so he's likely 5'8" and that kept bigger schools away.
We deserve so much better
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

He looks like Red Grange on his returns (could be the competition too?) but mainly he has a nose for the end zone. My guess is it's the lack of summer camps that has made him under the radar.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

GSx wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:16 pm This is Conway recruiting Conway.
Who are Fritz' La recruiters?
While I like this staff's approach to recruiting I think it could stand some strengthening closer to home.
L
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Is his high school team really called the Wampus Cats?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

FW wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:49 am Is his high school team really called the Wampus Cats?
I thought that was peculiar to Leesville HS in Louisiana.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Baywave1 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:45 am He looks like Red Grange on his returns
Wow, how old ARE you? :lol:
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:04 am
Baywave1 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:45 am He looks like Red Grange on his returns
Wow, how old ARE you? :lol:
Median age of a Tulane fan?
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

78?
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Grange did like to run sideline to sideline on his returns. He did not always run north south. He was fast and jukey enough to make it work then. Now? Who knows because of the quantum increase in defender's athleticism. Let's remember though that was single platoon football too so relative conditioning gave some two way players an incredible edge. Maybe Grange was the most athletic and fit player out there?

Let's just say I'm old enough to have been a season ticket holder for Pilney/Wells at Tulane.

Meanwhile I did talk to a friend of mine from Arkansas who said Conway is the real deal with a large student body and real competition. Bohanon's videos are not of his playing small weak siblings. So whether he is currently rated or not, we should believe what we see.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Looks a lot like Demaris Johnson. And we know how undervalued he was coming out of Destrehan.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

How fast is he?
Teams and services generally don't overlook skill players like this.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

If ever there's a year they do it's this year. Maybe he doesn't go to combines, either.
Donny Z
President's Circle

Post by Donny Z »

247 has him as a .8336 (solid 3 star; higher than handy who just decommited) and the 14th best player in Arkansas.

https://247sports.com/player/bryce-bohanon-46110562/
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I don’t know where Handy will end up, but I believe his stock has dropped. We will see.
Donny Z
President's Circle

Post by Donny Z »

TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

A few things that likely hurt him in recruiting:

1) No camps as the article said.

2) Didn't play 7 on 7.

3) Arkansas is a very lightly recruited state because it doesn't produce 30-40 FBS players a year. Unless you get tipped off by someone, you're not likely to just "run into" a kid from Conway looking at other players' highlights.

4) His HS hasn't had another prospect on the team sign a scholarship since 2016 and that player only had an offer from Central Arkansas. The year before, there was an OT who signed with Arkansas. Looking at his profile, he went to multiple college camps and national recruiting camps.

5) He's 5'9 and has played against sub-par competition when compared to other players around the country. A lot of coaches shy away from players like that because they're afraid to miss. Camps are big for kids who either play at small schools or in states where there's not a ton of competition. Again, no camps and no 7 on 7 to prove himself.

When you think about it, it's not that strange that he wasn't on the radar especially considering every camp for the last 8 months has been cancelled. Darnell Mooney was in Alabama where there are 60-80 FBS signees a year and he wasn't recruited by anyone else. Kids slip through the cracks if they don't have someone pumping them up to recruiters and taking them on the road to camps.
This one belongs to the Wave.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Re: Bryce Bohanon WR Conway AR committed

Post by Baywave1 »

TU23, Good summary. I think competition he faced is better than you suggest but that's obviously judgment. Size matters but as noted above, I think about that Johnson kid who left southern Louisiana and killed us and alot of other teams while at Tulsa.

Bohanon still has to sign and produce but I credit Fritz and staff recruiting here. His highlights don't lie. I know it was 25+ years ago but Rashaan Salaam won a Heisman Trophy and was a first round NFL draft pick after playing eight man football in high school. (Think how many 150 pound nose guards he faced.) If Bohanon is half the under the radar performer of Salaam then Fritz and co. deserve an A+ for this.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

Don't get me wrong, Arkansas has some good football in parts of the state (I lived there for 4 years) but it's really hit or miss. It's not like they're playing in the Dallas Metroplex or in the Catholic League in NOLA where even the teams that don't win much are well coached and have talent. Arkansas is kind of like Oklahoma where I live now. There are 15-20 legitimate FBS prospects in the state in most years across all levels. But it's certainly not Idaho, Wyoming or one of the Dakotas where some years you won't see 1-2 players sign an FBS scholarship.
This one belongs to the Wave.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

It's all about heart, work ethic, and the ability of his body to hold muscle as he continues developing. If any of those things are missing, he's another "diamond in the rough" recruit who didn't pan out. But if those things are all there, we get a Matt Forte or a Darnell Mooney (or any of a number of mostly-unrecruited guys we've had play in the NFL).