Coaching Carousel 2020-21 (Special COVID edition!)

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Re: Coaching Carousel 2020-21 (Special COVID edition!)

Post by WaveProf »

long green wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:54 am Herman didn't deliver but Texas was improved under him. I don't think he's fired because he squandered talent but because he didn't bring enough in.

How Steve Sarkisian is a clear improvement eludes me.
All of this
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

Baywave1 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:41 pm
OGSB wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:53 pm
waverider wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:26 pm Football Scoop reporting the lsu is firing Bo Pilini after one season. He was paid $7million to coach one year.
Derek Mason to replace?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... li=BBnb7Kz
To be precise, apparently Bo accepted an immediate cash settlement to get lost in lieu of being on the no-show payroll for the next two years to earn the full contracted amount. Since it's a public record, we'll find out soon enough how much less than $7 million the final tab is. Regardless it's an outrageous amount for a public institution that just announced it is losing $80 million because of COVID effect.
He should have taken the structured settlement and then called J.G. Wentworth.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

WaveProf wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:56 am
long green wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:54 am Herman didn't deliver but Texas was improved under him. I don't think he's fired because he squandered talent but because he didn't bring enough in.

All of this
Scuttlebutt is that Sarkisian turned them down.

Oof.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Sophandros wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:36 pm

All of this

Oof.
You must have a different internet than me
Victory is never permanent
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

It has been mentioned that Sark has had issues away from football. I have no clue what those are, but it has been reported on various radio shows several times today. Supposedly, his professional and personal life have improved under Saban.

I agree, this change looks strange. Time will tell.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

tjtlja wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:28 pm It has been mentioned that Sark has had issues away from football. I have no clue what those are, but it has been reported on various radio shows several times today. Supposedly, his professional and personal life have improved under Saban.
Alcohol.
Victory is never permanent
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Sark is a recovering alcoholic. His issues are a large part of what cost him the USC gig. He's had time in the NFL and under Saban to work on that. Texas is a pressure cooker so let's hope for his sake he has that under control and lots of good support around him.

There was a little push back that Sark turned them down (via David Pollock reports), but Saban has confirmed he's headed to Texas. Bama nd Texas play in 2022 and 2023.

I disagree that Herman didn't bring in enough talent. Over the last four years, 64% of his recruits were blue chips (4 or 5 stars). That's 4th nationally behind only Bama, UGA and OSU. It's 1 percentage point more than LSU, Oklahoma, Florida, and and Clemson over the same time period. His results with the same level of talent as those programs were not good.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

OGSB wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:43 pm
Sophandros wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:36 pm

All of this

Oof.
You must have a different internet than me
Same internet. Some early reports simply had it wrong.
SlidellWave
Coach Level

Post by SlidellWave »

Just rumor and speculation at this point.

The Jacksonville Jaguars are reportedly ready to let Doug Marrone go after Sunday's game. They are expected to hire Urban Meyer (he is reported to be putting together a staff). If he doesn't get the job the Jags next target is current Ohio State coach Ryan Day.

My guess, If that happens Ohio State might try to go get Meyers back or turn to Cincinnati coach Luke Fickell (and he won't turn them down).

Also, the Jets are letting Adam Gase go after Sunday as well, another spot I could see Meyers going to.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

SlidellWave wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:58 pm Just rumor and speculation at this point.

The Jacksonville Jaguars are reportedly ready to let Doug Marrone go after Sunday's game. They are expected to hire Urban Meyer (he is reported to be putting together a staff). If he doesn't get the job the Jags next target is current Ohio State coach Ryan Day.

My guess, If that happens Ohio State might try to go get Meyers back or turn to Cincinnati coach Luke Fickell (and he won't turn them down).

Also, the Jets are letting Adam Gase go after Sunday as well, another spot I could see Meyers going to.
OSU is one of the 2 or 3 jobs Fickell would go to. That's a no brainer move if he is offered. It is hard for me to see OSU going back to Meyer. His health issues are real. Maybe the NFL is intriguing to him, but he already turned down Texas.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

UT owes $20 million to Herman and staff. In this case I think it's the payer that's the chump.

Meanwhile Moore turns down BSU and Harbaugh is sitting on his extension awaiting potential NFL offers. He is a unique jewel.

Maybe BSU now goes after SJSU coach?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Marshall fires Doc Holliday. Best of luck to them, I guess.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

long green wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:16 am Marshall fires Doc Holliday. Best of luck to them, I guess.
Apparently the AD was overruled on bringing him back by the governor. The governor of the whole state. Maybe things were getting stale there, but by most measures Holliday was one of the most consistently successful G5 coaches. He's like Skip Holtz at LT or Solich at Ohio. They aren't going to make a NY6 game, but they'll be in a bowl 90% of the time and will often compete for conference titles. Don't know where they go to get better.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:25 am
long green wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:16 am Marshall fires Doc Holliday. Best of luck to them, I guess.
Apparently the AD was overruled on bringing him back by the governor. The governor of the whole state.
From what I understand, Governor Jim Justice likes to control everything and everyone in a similar fashion to his close friend on Pennsylvania Avenue. Maybe Holliday told someone he thinks Biden won Georgia and the word made its way to the governor...
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

TP reporting that UC DC is primary target for Coach Scooby O to replace Pelini and will interview this week at LSU.

As concerns Marshall, it's a fun story when the Governor (current or ex-)is involved but I take it somewhat skeptically. WVU doesn't play Marshall in football. If the Gov were putting his thumb on the scale at Marshall then we would likely see that too.

However Richards taking care of Baylor football to join Big XII and Clements role in SMU death penalty show that it's not unique to the couch burners. I agree with everyone. It's a stupid firing regardless.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:36 am
Apparently the AD was overruled on bringing him back by the governor. The governor of the whole state.
From what I understand, Governor Jim Justice likes to control everything and everyone in a similar fashion to his close friend on Pennsylvania Avenue. Maybe Holliday told someone he thinks Biden won Georgia and the word made its way to the governor...
C'mon, Pete, outlaw, you're better than this. Justice is not a great guy and is power hungry. We could go on and on about a topic like this, but don't speculate and then bring in politics that you know pokes the bear. It could be Joe Manchin for all you know.

There has to be more to this story about Marshall letting Doc go. Doc has been the most successful coach in Marshall history, even better than Pruett, who was dirty. However, Doc is about 63 years old and probably didn't want to change some things. But he has earned the right to stay as long as he wanted. I am truly surprised by this move. Get fired for going 8-3 at Marshall?! Tough crowd, tough crowd as Rodney would say. Also won CUSA Coach of the Year.
Plan your work, work your plan.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Roto, I was being glib and I'd think you'd know that. Frankly I don't care about Marshall athletics in the least.

But if the governor truly caused the firing then it's a "booster culture" move of Auburnesque levels.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Roto, why do you say Pruett was dirty?

I only ask because I played my senior year of HS under him at Gar-Field Sr HS in Woodbridge, VA in 1973. He was depicted in the movie Remember the Titans as the opposing coach for Groveton where he coached before us. He turned a perennial loser into a sting of undefeated seasons and on our 1973 squad we had a smallish RB, Dexter Green who rewrote record books at Iowa State; and a lineman, Woody Bergaria who became All American at James Madison. Pruett was a screamer and loved to use West Virginia sayings when he was getting on people. He made no secret of wanting to get back to his alma mater, Marshall.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Rotorooter wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:28 am
PeteRasche wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:36 am
C'mon, Pete, outlaw, you're better than this. Justice is not a great guy and is power hungry. We could go on and on about a topic like this, but don't speculate and then bring in politics that you know pokes the bear. It could be Joe Manchin for all you know.

There has to be more to this story about Marshall letting Doc go. Doc has been the most successful coach in Marshall history, even better than Pruett, who was dirty. However, Doc is about 63 years old and probably didn't want to change some things. But he has earned the right to stay as long as he wanted. I am truly surprised by this move. Get fired for going 8-3 at Marshall?! Tough crowd, tough crowd as Rodney would say. Also won CUSA Coach of the Year.
My comment wasn't intended at all to be political. It was a comment on the surprise that the governor of any state would have time to meddle in the firing of a college football coach. Some schools have a board of governors so I wanted to be clear that this was the state governor and not someone else.

I don't consider it speculation either - I follow several reporters with inside sources across the country. They are often right on the money in terms of the goings on behind the scenes in coaching searches. One of them, Steven Godfrey, is very reliable and he's the one that discussed this on twitter.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

TUPF wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:31 am Roto, why do you say Pruett was dirty?

I only ask because I played my senior year of HS under him at Gar-Field Sr HS in Woodbridge, VA in 1973. He was depicted in the movie Remember the Titans as the opposing coach for Groveton where he coached before us. He turned a perennial loser into a sting of undefeated seasons and on our 1973 squad we had a smallish RB, Dexter Green who rewrote record books at Iowa State; and a lineman, Woody Bergaria who became All American at James Madison. Pruett was a screamer and loved to use West Virginia sayings when he was getting on people. He made no secret of wanting to get back to his alma mater, Marshall.
He was quietly ushered out because of some shady dealings. Pretty well known, actually.
Plan your work, work your plan.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:29 am Roto, I was being glib and I'd think you'd know that.
Glib definition, readily fluent, often thoughtlessly, superficially, or insincerely so

Typical, Pete?
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Rotorooter wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:39 am
TUPF wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:31 am Roto, why do you say Pruett was dirty?

He was quietly ushered out because of some shady dealings. Pretty well known, actually.
There's a whole decade and a half of my adult life where I was disconnected from normal things in the pre-internet days. I didn't even know he was DC at Tulane until later years.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

CT Wave wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:03 am
PeteRasche wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:29 am Roto, I was being glib and I'd think you'd know that.
Glib definition, readily fluent, often thoughtlessly, superficially, or insincerely so

Typical, Pete?
Flippant? (listed as a synonym of "glib")

Basically I was throwing out a semi-joking thought about why Holliday got fired. I really don't care but it does seem weird that they fired him after the success he's had there so there must be some political (capital P or small P) reason why.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

My response was simply noting our ban on political comments seems long dead. I would like to resurrect it.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

CT Wave wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:39 pm My response was simply noting our ban on political comments seems long dead. I would like to resurrect it.
I think people have been really good about not being political for a good period of time now and that has eased the pressure on the mods to crack down on every single slight reference because the problem has been so much improved.

Everything in the world, including sports, is political. It can never be "erased" from conversation. But the days of certain people dragging every topic into a knock down, drag out fight about political topic X seem to be distant memory
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16