Coaching Carousel 2020-21 (Special COVID edition!)

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
LawGreenie
Coach Level

Re: Coaching Carousel 2020-21 (Special COVID edition!)

Post by LawGreenie »

To close the loop, Justice was the richest man in West Virginia (he owns the Greenbrier and what's left of the coal industry) and Marshall's largest booster BEFORE he became governor. Interesting cat. Ran as D, then switched to an R. West Virginia is a weird place.

Come to think of it, it's sort of like what will happen when Jim Bernhard becomes Louisiana's governor and is also LSU's biggest booster.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

LawGreenie wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:19 pm To close the loop, Justice was the richest man in West Virginia (he owns the Greenbrier and what's left of the coal industry) and Marshall's largest booster BEFORE he became governor. Interesting cat. Ran as D, then switched to an R. West Virginia is a weird place.

Come to think of it, it's sort of like what will happen when Jim Bernhard becomes Louisiana's governor and is also LSU's biggest booster.
One thing is different with WV. Bernhard will never never change parties. Interestingly the official candidate of LSU football lost the last election so that's different too.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

LawGreenie wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:19 pm To close the loop, Justice was the richest man in West Virginia (he owns the Greenbrier and what's left of the coal industry) and Marshall's largest booster BEFORE he became governor. Interesting cat. Ran as D, then switched to an R. West Virginia is a weird place.
I learned all about him when my family went on a fall break trip to the Greenbrier over Halloween weekend. Power hungry, wealthy, and even willing to change political parties if it benefits him in his search for more power and wealth. As I said above... Just like his buddy.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:24 pm
I learned all about him when my family went on a fall break trip to the Greenbrier over Halloween weekend. Power hungry, wealthy, and even willing to change political parties if it benefits him in his search for more power and wealth. As I said above... Just like his buddy.
I assume you are being glib, again. :roll:
Plan your work, work your plan.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Rotorooter wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:22 am
PeteRasche wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:24 pm
I assume you are being glib, again. :roll:
Please tell me you are not denying those attributes about the unmentioned-by-name guy? I mean, it's not like I'm making political commentary, those are just personality traits that even a blind person could see.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

I am sure you can name all of the politicians/governors/presidents/college presidents who are NOT egotistical narcissists. Has everything to do with the OP, doesn't it? IOW, it isn't necessary to point out, but you cannot help yourself.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Rotorooter wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:49 pm I am sure you can name all of the politicians/governors/presidents/college presidents who are NOT egotistical narcissists. Has everything to do with the OP, doesn't it? IOW, it isn't necessary to point out, but you cannot help yourself.
It's not them who stick out though, is it?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

To climb successfully the slippery pole of business (especially entrepreneurial ones) and academia (or really any large institution like the military), you have to have relentless ambition and belief in self. These are more important than smarts, personality, charisma, character, you name it.

You have to want it. REAL BAD. The belief in self turbo-charged by ambition drives the behavior. So, yes, very often (but not always) and unsurprisingly, it goes hand in hand with world class narcissism.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

To bring this back on target (hopefully), Tennessee may be setting things up to fire Pruitt. They've instituted a hiring freeze for his staff while they investigate recruiting violations. Much like Kansas did to David Beaty, this sets the stage to fire Pruitt with cause, which means no buyout has to be paid. Pruitt may sue, but that would free up a lot of cash to hire a successor.

May not happen this way, but there's definitely some smoke to this. It's a scummy thing to do, and if it does go down this way, Tennessee will get what they deserve in the long run.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Interesting about Tennessee. Will it play out like WSU basketball. A "cause" settlement at fifty cents on the dollar or even less? This shows the big gorillas may actually be starting to pay attention to economic issues. (Obviously South Carolina and Texas did not.) All of the top 30 or so schools in attendance lost tens of millions of dollars this year.

Eventually it matters but to some it won't ever. If LSU hires the UC DC, I safely predict it will have to give him a 3 year ironclad guaranteed contract for $8 million or more. He will see what happened to Canada and Pelini under Orgeron. His agent will negotiate a very soft landing to protect against Coach Scooby O maintaining his style of always blaming the others (and then being given a blank check to do it.)
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

CT Wave wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:39 pm My response was simply noting our ban on political comments seems long dead. I would like to resurrect it.

You must have mistaken this forum for another. Seriously with all the BS going on in the world this place is basically apolitical. And yes the gif is in pink
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
SlidellWave
Coach Level

Post by SlidellWave »

LSUx has lost out on Mason (Auburn) and now Freeman (Notre Dame) as the scapegoat for next year, sorry meant Defensive Coordinator.

https://247sports.com/college/vanderbil ... 158844753/
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

RRod to ULM (yes, that ULM) as OC. What's the word here? Toxic......

I'm obviously being ironic but still. ULM is not even a Top 100 OC job. Plus its pay scale is rock bottom. I'd appreciate any insights about this or even SWAGs. This is one I would not have guessed even after ten hurricanes at Pat O's.
SlidellWave
Coach Level

Post by SlidellWave »

Cincinnati OC Mike Denbrock is scheduled to interview on Wednesday for the OC position at Vanderbilt. He arrived in Nashville on Tuesday.

https://247sports.com/college/vanderbil ... 159129691/
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

SlidellWave wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:49 pm Cincinnati OC Mike Denbrock is scheduled to interview on Wednesday for the OC position at Vanderbilt. He arrived in Nashville on Tuesday.

https://247sports.com/college/vanderbil ... 159129691/
Which is really interesting because:
1. Cincinnati is known for their defense and even in this successful past season their fans consider their offense limited at best, and
2. Cincinnati is sitting on the highest-ranked recruit in school history, a 4-star QB who is behind Ridder on the depth chart right now but whom many expect will beat out the 2.5-year incumbent next season and lead UC to great glory. I wouldn't be surprised if that kid follows the OC if he goes; in fact the kid's HS (he's local here) is sort of a public school equivalent of Vandy...
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Baywave1 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:45 pm RRod to ULM (yes, that ULM) as OC. What's the word here? Toxic......

I'm obviously being ironic but still. ULM is not even a Top 100 OC job. Plus its pay scale is rock bottom. I'd appreciate any insights about this or even SWAGs. This is one I would not have guessed even after ten hurricanes at Pat O's.
My guess here is that desperate men do desperate things. ULM is trying to save their D1 program after a horrendous and program-killing season; RR needs to get his coaching gig started again--ANYWHERE. Just shows how low you will go when things get bad. It also shows that America is willing to give people like Petrino, Pitino, RichRod, Pearl, Sampson 2nd chances (and 3rd and 4th...).
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Rotorooter wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:10 am
Baywave1 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:45 pm RRod to ULM (yes, that ULM) as OC. What's the word here? Toxic......

My guess here is that desperate men do desperate things. ULM is trying to save their D1 program after a horrendous and program-killing season; RR needs to get his coaching gig started again--ANYWHERE. Just shows how low you will go when things get bad. It also shows that America is willing to give people like Petrino, Pitino, RichRod, Pearl, Sampson 2nd chances (and 3rd and 4th...).
I remember the line when people thought we were bringing him back and he instead went to Arizona, "because his wife needs the dry air". I guess a couple of years in the desert magically healed that concern. Or maybe that was not... really... truthful?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:43 am
Rotorooter wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:10 am

I remember the line when people thought we were bringing him back and he instead went to Arizona, "because his wife needs the dry air". I guess a couple of years in the desert magically healed that concern. Or maybe that was not... really... truthful?
When it hit the wires that RR was now night manager at the Tasty Freeze I looked up the Wiki entry on him just to refresh myself on his sojourn. It was pretty apparent that the author(s) of the Wiki entry have a WVU axe to grind because butthurtedness drips from that entry. Not much better for the Michigan entry but a little more dispassionate. Finally, the Arizona stint does not mention the dry air bit but the inappropriate conduct is there albeit not in detail. The Tulane head coach passover is a line or two. Taken in total if you had no familiarity with RichRod and you knew nothing about his coaching successes it looks like the Peter Principle for personality.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Well, he didn't exactly light it up at Ole Miss (albeit not under great circumstances). Have modern offenses passed him by?
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

ml wave wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:10 am

Well, he didn't exactly light it up at Ole Miss (albeit not under great circumstances). Have modern offenses passed him by?
Here may be the answer: RRod's son is a QB and is transferring from Arizona to ULM to play for Dad. Shades of Jon and Wally. Meanwhile Bubby Brister is a member of ULM HOF. I wonder if he is calling the AD there saying this may not be a great idea for the alma mater. (But it did sort of work out for the McCleskey's at Tulane at wide receiver not QB. We'll see.)
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:23 am
ml wave wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:10 am

Here may be the answer: RRod's son is a QB and is transferring from Arizona to ULM to play for Dad. Shades of Jon and Wally. Meanwhile Bubby Brister is a member of ULM HOF. I wonder if he is calling the AD there saying this may not be a great idea for the alma mater. (But it did sort of work out for the McCleskey's at Tulane at wide receiver not QB. We'll see.)
The son is transferring because the dad got hired, not vice versa.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I clearly said they were linked. That’s the point. You’re quibbling about order because that’s what you do

I guess English precedes your time. His stunt with his son cost us a QB who played what a decade-plus in the NFL? It set our program back for years. That’s the point again in case you weren’t around when these “package deals” occur.

It would not surprise to see it disrupt ULM as well. However there in a bad place regardless
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:00 pm I clearly said they were linked. That’s the point. You’re quibbling about order because that’s what you do

I guess English precedes your time. His stunt with his son cost us a QB who played what a decade-plus in the NFL? It set our program back for years. That’s the point again in case you weren’t around when these “package deals” occur.

It would not surprise to see it disrupt ULM as well. However there in a bad place regardless
Maybe I misunderstood but it seems pretty clear the question you asked was why is RichRod at ULM and the answer you gave was because his son transferred there...which, again, is backwards. If your point was instead that the father/son package was going to submarine ULM football well, then, seems a little weird, but ok.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

ml wave wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:53 pm
Baywave1 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:00 pm I clearly said they were linked. That’s the point. You’re quibbling about order because that’s what you do

Maybe I misunderstood but it seems pretty clear the question you asked was why is RichRod at ULM and the answer you gave was because his son transferred there...which, again, is backwards. If your point was instead that the father/son package was going to submarine ULM football well, then, seems a little weird, but ok.
I don't know that we can actually say Rich was hired first. They could have had an understanding.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

love the Greenbrier