2021 TULANE FOOTBALL COMMITTMENTS

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
G-wave
Navigator Level

Re: 2021 TULANE FOOTBALL COMMITTMENTS

Post by G-wave »

Besides the TX DL did we get any Mid-termers or did covid kill it.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I've heard Shook and the HS OL call themselves mid-termers.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
G-wave
Navigator Level

Post by G-wave »

Just read LB Micheal Lunz will enroll in Jan.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Not a commitment but Arizona transfer WR Ma’jon Wright tweeted about an offer from Tulane. He was a freshman this year and would have 4 years of eligibility left. FWIW, someone tweeted that he was Arizona’s best WR this year. He started the last 3 games this season and was second on the team in receptions and yards.

He’s listed as 6’2 200lbs. He’s from Fort Lauderdale so maybe he and Pratt’s paths have crossed (he used a pic of Pratt playing in his tweet).
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

UA had people bailing out left and right so being their best receiver by the end of the season doesn't mean what it would in a normal year.

He'd be a score for us on paper, certainly.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

waverider wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:10 pm Not a commitment but Arizona transfer WR Ma’jon Wright tweeted about an offer from Tulane. He was a freshman this year and would have 4 years of eligibility left. FWIW, someone tweeted that he was Arizona’s best WR this year. He started the last 3 games this season and was second on the team in receptions and yards.

He’s listed as 6’2 200lbs. He’s from Fort Lauderdale so maybe he and Pratt’s paths have crossed (he used a pic of Pratt playing in his tweet).
He went to Cardinal Gibbons, a big time private school in FTL. My Goddaughter plays volleyball there. If you watched that show QB1, their QB from a couple of years ago was on there and signed with Kentucky.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

long green wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:41 am UA had people bailing out left and right so being their best receiver by the end of the season doesn't mean what it would in a normal year.

He'd be a score for us on paper, certainly.
It seems they have a lot of people bailing because of NCAA trouble, so yeah it's kind of hard to determine actual quality. We're losing a few WRs so any bodies with FBS experience will help.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

As noted above, Montrell Johnson is still available at RB. He had a great State Championship game.

https://www.nola.com/sports/high_school ... 6dc12.html
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I would love to know where we stand on both Montrell Johnson and Ja’Marian Peterson, both from De La Salle. We recently got their former teammate Lance Robinson from Kansas State. These two guys are big keys to a great late signing period.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

waverider wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:10 pm Not a commitment but Arizona transfer WR Ma’jon Wright tweeted about an offer from Tulane. He was a freshman this year and would have 4 years of eligibility left. FWIW, someone tweeted that he was Arizona’s best WR this year. He started the last 3 games this season and was second on the team in receptions and yards.

He has rethought and is sticking with Arizona. I wonder how many guys will do that in this year of glut in the transfer market. And how many will wish they had?
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Which begs the question...does going in the portal vacate your current scholarship?
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Probably up to the school you're leaving. My guess, anyway.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

I don't believe it does as the player can still wind up staying put.
We deserve so much better
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Wrong
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

long green wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:14 pm Probably up to the school you're leaving. My guess, anyway.
Typically, yes. Most of the time the school removes the scholarship pretty quickly thereafter, but in some cases they don't in the hopes of retaining the player. Most recently this is the case with TE Arik Gilbert of LSU, who they desperately want to keep.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

gerryb323 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:27 pmWrong
Not wrong. it doesn't immediately vacate the scholarship. That was the question I was answering.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

I actually represented two college volleyball players in a case where scholarships were taken away mid-year last year. Here's the rule: If you enter the transfer portal, the school CAN take away your scholarship at the end of the current semester. So, if you entered the portal in December or before 2nd semester started, the school can take away your scholarship immediately if they want to. Almost all of them will do that. However, in a case like Ma'jon Wright where the school wants the player to return, they do not have to move to cancel the scholarship. The player will cancel the scholarship when he signs a grant in aid with the school where he's going to transfer. If you're able to successfully recruit the player to stay, then the player simply removes himself from the portal and that's the end of it.

The case I was dealing with was a new coach trying to cut off financial aid for two scholarship players mid-year so he could try to get two transfers from another school in for the Spring semester. That's a "no no" in the NCAA's view. When we got the School's AD and Chancellor involved, they reversed course pretty quickly. The girls still lost their scholarships at the end of the school year (which is the school's right), but they entered volleyball's version of the transfer portal in February, so they were allowed to finish out the year.
This one belongs to the Wave.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Right, going in the portal vacates your scholarship (for the next semester) but the school can choose to let you keep it in hopes of changing your mind. Kansas basketball has had this happen several times (most recently with Grimes at Houston now). They usually end up recruiting over the player to use the vacated scholarship. One player recently (don't remember who off the top of my head) wanted to go back, butthe scholarship was gone.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Since we are talking transfers, another multi-year starter at Memphis has entered the portal. DB TJ Carter who was a 4star coming out of HS in 2017.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Keith Cooper JR., 6-4, 230 lb., DE/OLB from Dickinson, TX commits today as well. A a 3-star with lots of other offers.
https://247sports.com/player/keith-cooper-46094687/
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Now, if we can use a signing like Cooper to get a strong FS and SS to play for us. I like Clark, I like Dyson but we need that superstar to be a safety. Love to get a guy who is 6'2, 210# and can run like a deer. Cooper looks like a PJ/Cam Sample clone, only bigger out of HS. Can't wait to see him with an Angry Wave on his helmet.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Interestingly Joseph Bulovas, Bama PK, has entered the portal as a grad transfer. I recall that Fritz recruited him very hard at Mandeville. He certainly was more consistent in his college kicking career than Glover has been but I doubt he has a stronger leg. Since Glover is coming back, I would be surprised if Bulovas shows up here but Frtiz seems to be understandably open to these things if he thinks it would improve the team. Glover is an awesome KO guy but he hasn't had much success on the FG side.

No predictions on this. Just noting what's out there in this brave new world of college quasi-free agency. We will know in a week regardless since class starts tomorrow and enrollment ends in a few days.

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/A ... 159282585/
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I don't see the upside of bringing in Bulovas.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

With Esnard and Glover we already have two kickers on scholarship. Don't see this happening.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I think it's funny that Alabama for years has lamented that the one inconsistent part of their game is their placekicking... it's like their Kryptonite... and here we are talking about whether we could get their transferring kicker. 8)

I know Bulovas was better than many Bama kickers prior to him, I just thought it was a funny narrative.

And yeah... we don't have a need.